Cardo Scala G4 question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndivita

Reaction score
Testing out my gear before a long ride in a couple of weeks, I noticed today that the audio output in my helmet speakers seems to be limited to the right helmet speaker only. Nothing from the left speaker. Troubleshooting it, I made sure all the firmware was up to date, reset the device, tried different forms of audio input (both were Bluetooth, not hard wired) and no luck. Any ideas? Should I just go for a new audio/mic/speaker set up for $44 and see if that fixes it? Thanks guys.

Have you tried it with the radio? My G4 is only stereo when I am using the radio function. With the bike to bike it is only in the right ear speaker. I think that this is due to the fact that in some states it is not legal to have both ear speakers on. Don't ask me why, but I read that somewhere. I wonder how the police would know one way or the other.

My Scala is always stereo. If the source is mono I still have sound in both speakers.

I would verify that the problem is the clamp and try cleaning with contact cleaner before ordering another helmet clamp unit.

I recently had a problem with my G4 unit, sometimes no sound, sometimes sound in one speaker, and sometimes it would be stereo. If I wiggled the unit in the holder the sound would sometimes change. I was able to verify that the helmet clamp was bad by testing with another G4 unit. I disassembled the clamp as much much as I could. I sprayed RadioShack contact cleaner on and into the section with the spring contacts that connect the clamp and G4 unit. It works perfectly now now.

This link gives direction for the G4 earbud mod but if you skim thru the thread you will also be able to get an idea of how to disassemble the clamp unit. https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628028

Maybe it is a goofy coincidence but my G4 is a team set and both of them have done this from day one. We also at first thought something was wrong, then decided since both of them did it, it had to be correct. I don't know for sure, I can only say what mine is doing.

Maybe it is a goofy coincidence but my G4 is a team set and both of them have done this from day one. We also at first thought something was wrong, then decided since both of them did it, it had to be correct. I don't know for sure, I can only say what mine is doing.
Mine is part of a teamset when purchased.... <_<

Mine is part of a teamset when purchased.... <_<
My G4 is also part of a team set. Both units have sound in both speakers all of the time, music and intercom. If the source is stereo we get stereo, if the source is mono we get mono in right and left speakers.

I have a message in to Cardo. They have decent customer service. I'll get it sorted out.

Excellent, you may be about to help me fix a problem I did not even know I had. I will get mine out in the morning and try some things. It is possible I am just getting more deaf than I thought.

It seems to be mono whether it is music files playing via Bluetooth signal or via audio patch cord. I did use the opportunity to move my helmet speakers in closer to my ears FWiW. Sound quality is not awful just wish both speakers had output. Go figure. Intercom works in stereo as I recall.

My device is under warranty. They are sending me new audio kit, which includes new boom mike, bracket, speakers. Cardo said it should be stereo regardless of audio input. I'm not 100% convinced this will take care of the problem but he seemed confident it was a hardware issue given that the sound was mono regardless of whether the audio input was an iPhone paired via BT to the device, an iPod with a BT adapter paired to the device, or 3.5 mm patch cord from an iPhone or iPod. Now it makes me wonder if I have been listenting to intercom transmissions in mono the past year and a half?! I should have the unit back next week, and will check it out. Most miraculous of all is that I found my receipt from August 2010 so as to document that the warranty had not expired.....

Stay tuned, so to speak.

Scala is right, it plays through both speakers whether you're listening to radio, mp3, phone call or intercom. I've had my unit for just over a year and I had one speaker go out after 6 months. Scala replaced the audio kit and everything returned to normal. I can hear both speakers clearly at highway speeds with earplugs in place to dampen the wind noise and callers can't tell I'm riding! Hope yours comes back working properly, I'm definitely happy with my set-up.

Ran some errands today, both speakers worked fine. I read the manual last night, Cardo clearly states that in some jurisdictions it is illegal to use both earpieces. But, they say to tuck the right earpiece into the helmet padding as there is no way to turn off one of the speakers. Today I was unable to duplicate the original problem, I feel even more foolish than usual for providing bad information. I called Dad to see if he would double check his but he was sick and refused to put his helmet on for fear of puking in it. He thinks that perhaps we had not snapped the unit into the helmet bracket all the way. We did have that happen before and it did some screwy and intermittent things to our comms.

Sorry for providing bad information, I hope you get your issue resolved. I think my problem was my own stupidity. Stupidity is its own punishment and I just got punished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran some errands today, both speakers worked fine. I read the manual last night, Cardo clearly states that in some jurisdictions it is illegal to use both earpieces. But, they say to tuck the right earpiece into the helmet padding as there is no way to turn off one of the speakers. Today I was unable to duplicate the original problem, I feel even more foolish than usual for providing bad information. I called Dad to see if he would double check his but he was sick and refused to put his helmet on for fear of puking in it. He thinks that perhaps we had not snapped the unit into the helmet bracket all the way. We did have that happen before and it did some screwy and intermittent things to our comms.

Sorry for providing bad information, I hope you get your issue resolved. I think my problem was my own stupidity. Stupidity is its own punishment and I just got punished.
My new audio kit is en route. I will do the install next week and post my results after I make the connection. I will say I was pleased that they so easily honored the warranty; no hassles at all. If it is still mono after a new audio kit, then I guess I am back at the drawing board.

I have been really paying attention to mine since this came up and it is working perfectly. I don't know if I just did not have it snapped in all the way or if my wife yelling at me had temporarily deafened one ear. I know this thing is not perfect but I really like it. Rode with Dad about 240 miles today, not one issue. I forgot to ask him if his was working in both speakers. Again I apologize for giving you bad information earlier. I am pleased to hear their customer service is good.

Installed the new headset, reset the intercom module to factory defaults, paired to the iPhone and....full streaming stereo audio of very high quality. So I am pleased. And, coincidentally, I went to the doctor today. As I did ten years ago, had them irrigate and clean my ear canals. I won't hassle you with the details, but let's just say my ear canals were somewhat obstructed but are now bright and shiny. I do know though that before the new head set was installed, sound output was mono only, out of the right ear. All I can hear that is out of wack is a tiny bit of static after I pair the BT, unrelated to the music output.