Cardo Scalarider G9

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What wireless intercom works best for you?

• Total voters

Madmudder

Tim
Reaction score
I am curios to know how other riders feel about Scala G9.

I feel they have a very poor product. I ride with 4 other riders who all decided to purchase the G9 we had many issues last season and spoke with Cardo on numerous occasions. We even went as far as making notes for each individual unit then boxed them all together and sent them back to Cardo in January 2015. We were told they would be thoroughly tested and returned with corrections. We indicated that no rush was necessary but to please evaluate thoroughly. When I got a return tracking number 3 days later we were surprised to say the least and figured they found the issues. This was not the case, this past weekend 3 of us had our first opportunity to test them and we did so in this configuration rider and passenger & rider. one sounded like he was talking through a fan and volume of each was all over the place despite moving mics around.

I called Cardo for feedback and was informed the best they could do was offer me another RMA I was beside myself, we just got them back and the first use we had issues.

I no longer have any faith In Cardo and I am miserably disappointed in the customer service. Having just coordinated all the units to be offered at the same time with detailed notes of issues with each unit and nothing done to correct them. After being asked to send them all back insured again at my expense was over the top. This after my unit in particular went back 3 times last year and they found no issue, at which time they requested all be sent in at the same time..

If nothing else I hope this information helps anyone considering purchasing an intercom system. Sena & Uclear are much better alternatives.

https://www.sena.com/promo/20s

https://www.uclear-digital.com/

I have been using the Sena SMH10 for about 2.5 years. I really like how the iPhone works with the unit. I can have Siri send text messages, read text messages etc. I listen to my music for hours and hours. I can do a 12 hour ride without my Sena giving up (the music is stopped when I have lunch etc - so I get at least 10-11 hours of playtime). With the firmware updates, things have gotten better (new options like music sharing, louder volume). The wife likes hers too. We chat when we need to etc. Just a great piece of hardware that makes riding even better. I would buy them again with no hesitation.

I opted for the G9 after 'raving' reviews by the local Cycle Gear store.
Have had the unit for about year and a half. It has worked well. But not well enough for me to strongly recommend it to anyone.

Planning to eBay the G9 and replace with Sena 20s.

The boss and I have had the Sena SMH-10 and we love it. Its says that you can have 4 people connected but several times, we had 5 connected. Easiest to use with gloves on by far. Many times I have been riding down the freeway at freeway speeds + and people said that it sounded like I was standing in my living room. One time I was doing about 80mph when I noticed my brother driving down the road, so I called him. He didn't believe that I was on the motorcycle till I beeped the horn right next to him. lol However, I had a friend that bought the Scala G9 and I called him while I was driving a truck right in front of him, I couldn't hardly understand one word that he was saying. He returned it pretty quick and bought the Sena.

Carl

Like Rambler, I am not really impressed with the Scala G9. Pairing up to 1 other isn't too bad, but 2 or 3 not good at all! And the interface is almost impossible to use without the manual. If I could get half the $$$ back on the 3 G9's I have I would be all over a pair of Sena 20's!
punk.gif
punk.gif

I also have had issues with my G4's scala rider coms. My wifes has failed twice. Both times going down to EOM. One of the big trips we do together and it was very dissapointing to say the least. The first time it was fixed very quickly within a week. She only used it a few times and it shit the bed again. My unit has never failed and it get 10X the use hers ever did and is stil working till this day. I almost think its a hit or miss kind of deal. If you get a good unit your good. If you get a lemon it will always be a lemon. The second time it failed it was out of warranty so I decided no to get them fixed again.

Next time around it will be Sena,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone , I am glad I am not the only one to have a bad experience with Cardo, but never again. Like I said in the first post I hope anyone ready to pull the trigger stick with Sena or Uclear.

I have the SMH10R and have had no issues with it. It mounts neatly in the Nolan N-104 and the control unit is pretty small so with gloves on I sometimes end up reselecting the function I want. The other models have a larger control unit so they maybe be easier to control. I've never used it to talk on the phone but while talking to other riders with Sena units the sound quality is very good. Almost no noise from the wind or traffic. Have no experience with any of the other manufacturers. Bought mine through RocketMoto using the link over on ADVRiders.com. Easy transaction, responded very quickly to the one question I had about setting it up.

Happy customer of Cardo here. G4 had some bugs, but G9 and G9+ and SHO-1 works as I expect. Most issues what I had was compatibility with Zumo660. after switch to NAV5 all works great. SHO-1 fits nicely to my Neotec and works great.

Been using the Cardo G4 for some years now, mainly to listen to music and answer incoming phone calls, never used the intercom feature yet. No problems (knock on wood). Last year I decided to "upgrade" to a Sena because I liked the idea of using ear bud speakers plugged into the headset. The unit that I received was DOA, right out of the box. Sent it back for a refund and stuck with the G4. There's gonna good ones and bad ones from every brand out there.

A couple G9's here and everything works great. It's what we expected. The wife loves the FM. Mine is paired to the Garmin 590 where I listen to music or can talk on the phone.

It does what we want.

I have had the G4 for several years. Did the modification to the headphones and can switch out which ever I want, earbuds or speakers in the helmet. Used them with a buddy of mine and had no problems at all. Also used paired with my brothers G9 without issue. I like being able to Bluetooth my phone to it and if wanted hook up my ipod if not listening to music on the phone.