Carrying Pillion on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 4 bikes sitting in the garage. When we go on day rides we both ride our own R1's and for trips up to a week I ride my FJR and Renee rides her FZ6. On long trips Renee likes to relax and look at the world so we go 2 up on the FJR. It is a pleasure to ride with another good rider as a pillion. I swear most of the time I don't know she is there and we always try to take the routes with the curvy lines on the map. Renee does not slide into me, move at anytime without letting me know in some way, hold onto me in accel or decel but controls her body and position with her stomach muscles. We ride a brisk pace and enjoy the idea that the pace is dependent on both of us doing a good job on the bike. I am truly a fortunate man to have this woman in my life. When it comes to maintaining the bikes her attitude is, pass me a wrench, give me some guidance and stand back.

Things that do help a lot are. Russel seats with gel front and rear, Wilbers shock, upgraded front fork springs, ABM rotors with steel braided lines and Carbone Lorraine pads.

June 25th we are off to the Northwest for 5 weeks and I am looking forward to each minute.

Oh, by the way don't ask for her phone number because you won't get it.

Regards,

Al :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

My wife only minds when I scrape *her* pegs. course she's also only 115lbs and rides her own (prefers to be a passenger, but riding her own occasionally made a *world* of difference when she's a passenger)

That said, running a top box/backrest encourages your passenger to sit upright and away from you.

It works much better w/o a topbox when they are hugging you as a) they pay more attention to the road B) you have some control over their body movement and c) it gets their weight lower and farther forward.

For truely squidly riding, lean way forward and have then put their hands on the tank. No more crushed jewels.

And remember, if you knock helmets when shifting it is your fault (poor clutch/shift action), not theirs.

I never ask a GF how much she weighs. I do tell them that they are not allowed to mount, dismount, or change positions without my clear acknowledgement. I use hand signals or significant head-nods. Better to lay down the rules up front than to lay down the bike.

I'm pretty slow 2-up, mainly because I have the passenger ride stiff and always WITH the bike. That way I am managing their weight and the bike together as one unit. Less chance for them to misread and throw me off at a critical moment.

FJR is still loads of fun 2-up IMO. My GF likes to go fast and ride hard. However, my arms and hands take a real beating on something like the Dragon or Snake. Mostly from heaving all that female weight around (FJR + GF).

:)

Haulin Ashe sed...____________

I never ask a GF how much she weighs............ However, my arms and hands take a real beating on something like the Dragon or Snake. Mostly from heaving all that female weight around
I am gonna save this and show her when you come to WFO Jeff. Notice I left part of it off for better effect :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gonna save this and show her when you come to WFO Jeff. Notice I left part of it off for better effect :p
Thanks Buddy!

Those scratches on the back of my helmet will be from the head-butting beating I receive for 2,500 miles on the way out!

:(

I agree that the FJR is not so good for 2 up. It will do it yes but the fun/handling is removed so a Goldwing is better for 2 up.

I had 2 1800 Goldwings and believe me its the way to go for you your passenger and your stuff. Unless your passenger is

'5-1 / 99lbs the FJR is better as a solo bike (for me).

I like the FJR for its power/handling and fun in the curves, if you're not much of a sporty rider and do the speed limit you may be happy riding 2 up.

To each his own, just my experience.

Steve

I think it's all relative to your frame of reference. I bought the FJR as a 2-up, long distance sport tourer. It's filling that role very well for me. My wife and I ride 2-up often. Previous bike was a red (and white) 2000 CBR929RR. We've done several long days on it, 600 miles once, 500 miles a couple of times, and lots of rides from 100 to 500 miles in a day.

So coming from the 929 to the FJR is a significant difference in comfort, especially for the passenger. We've been riding together for more than 30 years, and she is an excellent passenger.

FJR is a top-notch 2-up bike for us.

I agree that the FJR is not so good for 2 up. It will do it yes but the fun/handling is removed ..., if you're not much of a sporty rider and do the speed limit you may be happy riding 2 up.To each his own, just my experience.
I don't know about that, we scrape pegs and run with R1s and such. I'm more careful than I am solo, but its just as much fun.

Course I do have Wilburs suspension front/rear and have a light and experienced passenger.

We have 4 bikes sitting in the garage. When we go on day rides we both ride our own R1's and for trips up to a week I ride my FJR and Renee rides her FZ6. On long trips Renee likes to relax and look at the world so we go 2 up on the FJR. It is a pleasure to ride with another good rider as a pillion. I swear most of the time I don't know she is there and we always try to take the routes with the curvy lines on the map. Renee does not slide into me, move at anytime without letting me know in some way, hold onto me in accel or decel but controls her body and position with her stomach muscles. We ride a brisk pace and enjoy the idea that the pace is dependent on both of us doing a good job on the bike. I am truly a fortunate man to have this woman in my life. When it comes to maintaining the bikes her attitude is, pass me a wrench, give me some guidance and stand back.Things that do help a lot are. Russel seats with gel front and rear, Wilbers shock, upgraded front fork springs, ABM rotors with steel braided lines and Carbone Lorraine pads.

June 25th we are off to the Northwest for 5 weeks and I am looking forward to each minute.

Regards,

:blink: Your a lucky guy to have found such a wonderful lady.

I'm just too short to comfortable and safely support another rider on the back of the FJR, just barely on the balls of my feet at the stop lights.

We have 4 bikes sitting in the garage. When we go on day rides we both ride our own R1's and for trips up to a week I ride my FJR and Renee rides her FZ6. On long trips Renee likes to relax and look at the world so we go 2 up on the FJR. It is a pleasure to ride with another good rider as a pillion. I swear most of the time I don't know she is there and we always try to take the routes with the curvy lines on the map. Renee does not slide into me, move at anytime without letting me know in some way, hold onto me in accel or decel but controls her body and position with her stomach muscles. We ride a brisk pace and enjoy the idea that the pace is dependent on both of us doing a good job on the bike. I am truly a fortunate man to have this woman in my life. When it comes to maintaining the bikes her attitude is, pass me a wrench, give me some guidance and stand back.Things that do help a lot are. Russel seats with gel front and rear, Wilbers shock, upgraded front fork springs, ABM rotors with steel braided lines and Carbone Lorraine pads.

Regards,

:blink: Your a lucky guy to have found such a wonderful lady.

I'm just too short to comfortable and safely support another rider on the back of the FJR, just barely on the balls of my feet at the stop lights.
I'm also a very lucky guy. My wife tried pillion about 3 times before she saw ladies with their own bikes and that was all she wrote. We just got back from a 3 week trip around the SW US and she had a great time on her FZ1, even though we had rain, sleet, snow, and dust storms.

Hahahahaaa, why don't YOU try tellin my wife when and when not to move :yahoo: From now on, I'm a solo rider. I don't use bikes for transport - I use em for fun. :)
Sounds as though your good lady is one who likes to think for herself. How about surprising her with the gift of an MSF basic ridercourse? She'll learn the basics of riding, which will make her a better passenger. However, she will also find out just how much fun the front seat of the bike can be.

Then you can buy her a nice bike, and voila - you can have fun riding your FJR solo and enjoy your wife's company at the same time (if you can catch her).

Jill

Hi Jill,

Passing your test here in the UK is pretty laborious. Back in the 70's a guy held a clipboard and asked you to ride around the block a couple of times, but nowadays you have to do a Theory Test with Hazard Perception exam, a Compulsory Basic Training course and finally (for a person my wife's age) a Direct Access course which would take a full week. And then there's the actual test which now involves a 30 minute rideout with the inspector following you. Did I mention that this would cost around $1000? Money aside though, she just ain't interested.

Next year, the test here gets tougher still. There'll be an off-road test too, plus additional elements including 2 figure of eights, a swerve-test and God knows what else. They're trying to force motorcyclists off the road here! Youngsters just won't be bothered to go through it all.

I use to hate the fact that my wife would not ride but now I love it. She rode with me once one my warrior but she has never even set on the FJR. I like to be able to get away without having anyone saying slow down, look out, get away from that truck. Don't get me wrong I love my wife but if she never gets on the back it want hurt my feelings. As someone said earlier when and if she does ride she will follow my rules! So with that said I have very little experience riding too up so I can't answer your question.

To appreciate the FJR as a two-up ST, just start out touring with the spouse on an 1100F Honda and soft luggage. Do this for 11 years, then switch to a CBR1100XX, also with soft luggage. Do this for four years, then acquire an FJR four years ago. Ahhhhh....

Surely the 'Wing is a better two-up touring mount, but throw in the "sport" factor and the FJR wins hands down. We enjoy attacking the twisties and have touched down hard parts, though I am always conscious of being responsible for TWO people, which does cause a person to back off just a little, but that only just marginally reduces the fun factor, which is easily made up for by having the favorite companion along.

The FJR is the only bike I WILL ride a passenger on. I'm short and all my other bikes were too tall for me. Adding a person on back was too scarey for me. The only person I would carry was my daughter. She was small, lightweight and she grew up on the back of a bike (my husband always carried her on his bike). BUT, when I got the FJR (2005) I could touch the ground easier than before so would take a passenger from time to time. My instruction with them was simple..."When I'm stopped or going slow, DON'T MOVE. If you move and I fall down, I will kill you!" Only had one person wiggle when I was stopped at a signal...they never got to ride with me again! Now that I have the 2006, my ability to touch the ground is once again limited so I will only ride with experience people like my daughter. Of course, she has her own bike now and has no desire to ride behind someone...I know how she feels!

This time explain to your wife when and when not to move, and all other things that you need...Eric
Hahahahaaa, why don't YOU try tellin my wife when and when not to move :yahoo:

Sorry, I think I may have mis-communicated. I'm not criticising the bike per se, but I am saying that riding with pillion totally sucks compared to the fun of riding solo. I don't doubt for a minute that the Feejer is one of the best two-up, but my wife will not permit fast, sporty riding when she's on the back, so I'm faced with riding sedately on a heavy bike with a nervous passenger and no reward for doing it all.

From now on, I'm a solo rider. I don't use bikes for transport - I use em for fun. :)

OK the reason she doesn't like going fast, is because she hasn't done it enough. You need to get her out more.....and get an intercom. I only ride with my wife, and usually only go out on the bike with her on the back as well. (barrum tshhhh).

I only very occasionally go out solo and the bike feels a tad quicker but no different to throw about. I think I am blessed with a great pillion for a wife, she sits dead still and asks if its OK to stretch her legs. She even tells me at the lights if she wants to wriggle a bit. If you are smooth and dont want to do real heroics you can enjoy throwing the bike over just as much as solo. The only thing I get grief about is heavy braking, but I only do that when the red mist has come down and I am getting carried away, so perhaps its for the best.

I'm gonna buy me a rear seat cowl!!
You have answered your own question, hear are some recomendations

Female,single

Less than 30 years old

Older than 22

Hair colour dose not matter ( they change it anyway )

Size less than 14 ,10 -12 is ideal ( that about 110# - 140# )

Good sense of humor,good conversation skills

Cooking ability not aplicable as you ride to were you can eat

They like to be a passanger

Some extras you need to have

Sheepskin seat cover

Intercom, mp3 player or her Ipod

Good sense of humor, good conversation skills ,

Warm ridding gear ,

I think it's all relative to your frame of reference. I bought the FJR as a 2-up, sport tourer. It's filling that role very well. We've done several long days on it, 600 miles once, 500 miles a couple of times, and lots of rides from 100 to 500 miles in a day.
.FJR is a top-notch 2-up bike for us.
+ 2 (me & Deb)

6,500 miles round trip CA -- MD proved it for us.

Hi Jill,Passing your test here in the UK is pretty laborious. Back in the 70's a guy held a clipboard and asked you to ride around the block a couple of times, but nowadays you have to do a Theory Test with Hazard Perception exam, a Compulsory Basic Training course and finally (for a person my wife's age) a Direct Access course which would take a full week. And then there's the actual test which now involves a 30 minute rideout with the inspector following you. Did I mention that this would cost around $1000? Money aside though, she just ain't interested.

Next year, the test here gets tougher still. There'll be an off-road test too, plus additional elements including 2 figure of eights, a swerve-test and God knows what else. They're trying to force motorcyclists off the road here! Youngsters just won't be bothered to go through it all.
Whoa! Things have really changed. When I took my test, I rode around the block a couple of times and stopped when the man with the clipboard jumped out from behind a tree. I think it cost about five quid. But that was a year or three ago.

My return to riding was after we moved from Hull to Southern California. Since I couldn't quite reach the floor on the 1980's Suzuki 750 that DH had just got, I chose to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's class. They provide the bikes. Our son took the class with me. It is mandatory for riders under 21 but optional for adults. I paid about $250 but his fee was much less. We each had to get a permit (provisional license) from the DMV (DVLC) which was about $15 then the ten minute riding test was waived because we'd passed the MSF class.

For those who choose to get a license, it's that easy. Many ride with just a permit (or not even that). They are supposedly restricted to daylight hours only, no freeway riding and no passengers.

Do the kids in England really do all the above? or is there a lot of unlicensed riding? It doesn't sound like the cheap transportation that we enjoyed, way back when.

Jill

PS Cool Website. Memories of beautiful places to ride.