CBR1100XX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG... that is frickin hillarious... who knew that when the space aliens crashed near Roswell.. Honda engineers were standing bye... so you're saying the XX is the Jar Jar Binks of motorcycles? :rofl:

10227315A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Markjenn,

Looks like JarJar stole his ride from the Imperial Stormtrooper's garage! :ph34r:

Isn't the look of the R1200ST just the antithesis of the beautiful (without add-ons) CBR1100XX?

Wouldn't the prospect of looking at your new BMW in the morning drive someone to ... chain?

:huh:

I can't believe that you guys brought up the XX. I stopped at a multi-line cycle dealer today on the way back from training to see the ZX-14. Every one near me is sold before I get the chance to go see it. It's a unique bike. Then, looking around the showroom, I saw a black bike in the corner w/ the turn signals in the mirrors. I took a closer look and it's an 03 XX with ultra low miles and Yoshi slip ons. I really liked it. After reading all of the flattering posts, I may try to do some horsetrading for it and put the GPZ 1100 up for sale.

Hey guys, Honda didn't even make their own sport/tourer, the ST1300, nearly as smooth and powerful as the XX. .

I predict Yamaha will redesign the engine and drivetrain in the FJR very soon, maybe a 1400 and six speed, ...but there goes the price. It may end up nearer the Honda or even a BMW.

I'll also bet they will offer the faster red!

color1.jpg

Roger

If you want to experience a cluncky shift, try the gear boxes on 1983 - 2000 Gold Wings. But at the same time those drive trains are not strangers to 100,000 to 300,000 miles without anything other than regular servicing with each tire swap.

+1 on the clunk, but those things will last even when you forget you have one and nelglect the crap out of it.

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to an XX meet in Red Bluff riding twisties. The FJR and XX are different bikes. Can't see selling either. I love the FJR for long tours, but if you're heading someplace to rip up some twisties, the XX is the PERFECT combination of big enough to get there and sporty and powerful enough to do some nice carving. No way an FJR will keep up with it, nor can you get an FJR over as far. BTW, was it anyone here that we passed on 36 east into Red Bluff on Friday on a Feejer?

BTW, was it anyone here that we passed on 36 east into Red Bluff on Friday on a Feejer?
Almost assurdly, it was one of 13 FJRs that were entered in the Cal 24 Endurance Rally this past weekend!

All 56 riders had to ride the infamous HWY 36 from the coast all the way to Red Bluff (this was just a small part of Leg 2 for the Cal 24 route!). The City Park in Red Bluff was Checkpoint II that they had to be at between 9pm-midnight.

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to an XX meet in Red Bluff riding twisties. The FJR and XX are different bikes. Can't see selling either. I love the FJR for long tours, but if you're heading someplace to rip up some twisties, the XX is the PERFECT combination of big enough to get there and sporty and powerful enough to do some nice carving. No way an FJR will keep up with it, nor can you get an FJR over as far. BTW, was it anyone here that we passed on 36 east into Red Bluff on Friday on a Feejer?
Never heard of a GSXR for the above comment?....or R1?

What are you asking Mike???

No, who makes them? :p

I'd love to have either as either a track bike or 2 hour foray from home bike. Would also have been cool bikes to trailer to the meet and then ride in the twisties. An all day 400 miles from Bodega Bay up 1 and across 36 on either would be way too uncomfortable for me, though. Going even faster than I was is probably also something I don't need to do, as I managed to barely avoid two performance awards. The XX is a bit better suited to the soft bags I use, and is a better long distance ride than either of those -- for me, at least. If I was going to replace its niche in the garage, it might be with a Busa (too ugly, though) or a ZX 14. I'm happy with what I have, even if I can't keep up with a road racer (we had 4 or 5) on an RC51, a 954 (or on a GSXR 1000 or R1) if they decide to ride at 75% or above.

What are you asking Mike???
Some people find the above as comfortable for them as a XX for others....plus the gsxr or r1 handle far better....for me my old euro cb1100f or a little track bike in the 600 series....or maybe even gsxr 750....thats all....

Mine handles a bit better than a stock XX (and no it's not the equal of a modern liter sport bike), whose greatest weakness is undersprung and unadjustable front forks. Traxxion AK20 cartridges w/ adjustable rebound damping and preload, Superbrace and Penske shock with Pilot Powers. Then there's the lost 8.5 lbs of unsprung weight with the Carozzerria wheels and another 20 or so lost with the Micron CF 4-2-1. Reliable, smooth, plenty of power and goes plenty fast enough on the straights and in the corners for me to enjoy it and run away from a lot of riders. I don't believe there are a lot of riders out there who can truly use the kind of performance a modern liter sport bike provides. After all, the real limiting factor is the skill of the rider, and that's really closer to a race bike than it is anything else. My problem with true sport bikes for the purpose I cited is that the ergos are too radical for my old carcass to want to deal with all day long on a several day trip.

It's all about compromises.

Mine handles a bit better than a stock XX (and no it's not the equal of a modern liter sport bike), whose greatest weakness is undersprung and unadjustable front forks. Traxxion AK20 cartridges w/ adjustable rebound damping and preload, Superbrace and Penske shock with Pilot Powers. Then there's the lost 8.5 lbs of unsprung weight with the Carozzerria wheels and another 20 or so lost with the Micron CF 4-2-1. Reliable, smooth, plenty of power and goes plenty fast enough on the straights and in the corners for me to enjoy it and run away from a lot of riders. I don't believe there are a lot of riders out there who can truly use the kind of performance a modern liter sport bike provides. After all, the real limiting factor is the skill of the rider, and that's really closer to a race bike than it is anything else. My problem with true sport bikes for the purpose I cited is that the ergos are too radical for my old carcass to want to deal with all day long on a several day trip.
It's all about compromises.
With the exception of injuries....isn't old just a state of mind? :blink: .....

Don't let me fool you with the statement. I may be 5 years older than you, but haven't gone gray yet and most folks of any age would still be foolish to try to follow me on skis, esp. in the double black diamond terrain I frequent. :D I'm not exactly slow on a motorcycle either, but do make some compromises to comfort with my performance demands -- why do you think I have an FJR? Since we're not that far apart in age, you understand that being 21 doesn't seem all that long ago -- but we are a hell of a lot smarter than we were then. ;) Doesn't mean that "smarter" in any way implies giving up the things that make life worth living -- like high performance motorcycles. :yahoo: We may have slightly different taste in our rides, though. (Ah hell, who am I kidding: it was really the woman a couple years ago who looked at my '97 XX and said "that thing is pure sex" that is my real reason for riding them -- it's that image and style.) :lol:

Don't let me fool you with the statement. I may be 5 years older than you, but haven't gone gray yet and most folks of any age would still be foolish to try to follow me on skis, esp. in the double black diamond terrain I frequent. :D I'm not exactly slow on a motorcycle either, but do make some compromises to comfort with my performance demands -- why do you think I have an FJR? Since we're not that far apart in age, you understand that being 21 doesn't seem all that long ago -- but we are a hell of a lot smarter than we were then. ;) Doesn't mean that "smarter" in any way implies giving up the things that make life worth living -- like high performance motorcycles. :yahoo: We may have slightly different taste in our rides, though. (Ah hell, who am I kidding: it was really the woman a couple years ago who looked at my '97 XX and said "that thing is pure sex" that is my real reason for riding them -- it's that image and style.) :lol:
Definitely got to admire an honest man....& that you are....I think the main reason I keep my old cb1100f is not so much that I raced one in Euorpe....but because I know kids today couldn't ride it (hinge in middle flexi flyer) & make it go fast....(love going past them on track days looking all bent out of shape...the terror in their eyes) sorry went of track there....just FYI if you want to tick off any of your friends...a buddy of mine...he has one....& his wife just bought one (she is a very good rider/racer though) because she thought it was sexy.....now I think the bike gets way more saddle time than him....poor guy.... :D

just put the engine/tranny as is into the FJR chassis - voila, the perfect sport-tourer.
Two words: chain drive

Don't understand? I had a Ninja ZX1100 for 5 years and 50,000 miles. It did have a chain, and I would spray it with lub and adjust it several times on a 3,000 mile trip. It takes no more than 1/2 an hour. (tools and spray can could be kept in something as small as a shaving bag.

I would think the average FJR rider would be smart enough to do those two things.

If you have a good chain it should last at least 25,000 miles.

For those two little chores, you too can ride a Honda XX or a ZZR1200 that will outperform ALL FBBs by 50% or more.

For those who don't know how, or just don't want to lub a chain the FBBs are a great alternative!

And by the way, If all those photos are of FJR riders, how the heck do you get your helmets on over the funnny multiple eyes??

CK

I owned an 04 XX - it was a lovely bike. Smooth and reliable.

Sold it for a K6 GSX-R 1000. Just insane... :)

Have any of you ridden a K1200S?

Now, that is a nice bike (price aside)....probably the best cross between a litre sport bike and a FJR.

It does everything the XX does, only better...