Cdogs Air Box Mod... So damm simple even a "Caveman" could do it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read through most of Cdog's threads as well as Wicked Webby's, but have yet to read anything regarding warranty. Even though the 'tick' is known under stock conditions, what would happen if someone should modify their bike and then pick-up the tick? For example:

If I should develop the dreaded 'tick' after completing Cdog's mod (ie. airbox mod, CO's equalized, PCIII, and perhaps the complete Holeshot exhaust system) would Yamaha/the dealer say I voided the warranty?

If so, I guess worst case scenerio would be to return the bike to stock condition before taking it in for the tick warranty.

Just a thought I'm considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read through most of Cdog's threads as well as Wicked Webby's, but have yet to read anything regarding warranty. Even though the 'tick' is known under stock conditions, what would happen if someone should modify their bike and then pick-up the tick? For example:
If I should develop the dreaded 'tick' after completing Cdog's mod (ie. airbox mod, CO's equalized, PCIII, and perhaps the complete Holeshot exhaust system) would Yamaha/the dealer say I voided the warranty?

If so, I guess worst case scenerio would be to return the bike to stock condition before taking it in for the tick warranty.

Just a thought I'm considering.
Buy a new oem filter box and replace it.

Yamaha advertises this thing with a lot more power than it actually has. Wicked Webby and Cdog have shown the way. They do not have to have a zillion posts here to get cred for farkles that work IMHO.

This bike will not touch 145 HP without the airbox mods. I want what I paid for.

I finally got a dyno date with Ryan Schnitz to map my 08 FJR (Juky 16th). Right now the bike has the same air box mods as cdogman has along with the Stainetune slip ons and K&N filter I took off my 05 FJR. The 05 FJR I sold also had these same air box mods but I sold it before I got a chance to remap the power commander for the air box mods. With the restrictors in the Stainetune's removed I suspect they are as free flowing as any slip on out there including WW's or Dale Walkers pipes. I am running the bike now with the barbarian jumper mod which made a noticable improvement over stock after the air box mod. I will be removing the air injection and installing the power commander this week and taking the bike to Ryan on the 16th for mapping. We are going to run some dyno tests on the barbarian jumper mod before mapping the power commander to see how they compare. This should be interesting since Ryan is one of the best tuners around. I would really like to see someone with the Muzzy 4/2/1 full header and muffler system and the air box mods (either like WW's or mine & cdogman's) dyno the bike with a properly mapped power commander. I have no doubt WW's more radical air box mod is more effective for max power potential than my more conservative approach.
John

Hey 2wheelie,

On a side note to your post here. Jstewart recently posted(on a different thread) that this air box mod (the one he did , the same as cdogman did) did not give him as much HP as he was hoping after having his bike on the dyno. In his words he stated, "His bike still needed more air."

I will say (which I have said all along), that the FJR needs as much air as you can give her (read my hp/tq thread for further on this). I will say that this type (that cdogman, gramps, Jwstewart and others have done) of air box mod does help out the FJR greatly. I have seen the difference in GRAMPS bike, before/after doing it. However, it does not open the bike up as much as it needs to be for the maximum benefit.

WW

Yamaha advertises this thing with a lot more power than it actually has.
This bike will not touch 145 HP without the airbox mods. I want what I paid for.
What kind of ridiculous statements are these?

Where are you getting your misinformation?

Skooter, ya gonna explain the difference between crank and rear wheel Hp now?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe parasitic loss too. ;)

Skooter, ya gonna explain the difference between crank and rear wheel Hp now?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe parasitic loss too. ;)
Nah, skooter can only explain drag. ;)

:lol:

Well let me enlighten you doubting Thomas'.I have a stock 01 and did this mod last night, and yes it does make the bike boogie better.

If you were running around with a gas mask on and some one removed it. Do you think that you could run faster and longer ????????

Well my bike now does.

Thanks Cdog I appreciate the extra herbs. :clapping: :yahoo:

Cheers
What you suck in has to go out or you ain't done nothing but suck.

I have followed the airbox mod discourse with interest-while you have the occasional injection of mis-truths (the motor puts out 145hp as built, no mods needed 2wheelie), it's still interesting seeing the various methods used to improve airflow. This, gentlemen, is pure ass hot rodding at it's finest-Vic Edelbrock and Fred C. Offenhauser would be proud. The naysayers existed when these guys started chopping shit up, sometimes improving things, sometimes not-but the doing is the way to discovery. Nothing ever got improved by sitting and looking at it.

If one looks at the FJR airbox-one thing stands out: all the tuning has been done for you. The intake tubes that reside in the box and ultimately join into the throttlebody flexible sleeves are already set up for you-as a result, anything done to the airbox outside of these can only improve flow. Yamaha is restricted by noise, space, and most of all, user friendliness limitations in designing bike components. The intake has to be quiet, compact, and weatherproof in other words. Modify it, and you lose some or all of these attributes-there's always a give and take when the mod box comes outta the closet. Many riders are fine with the stock output of the bike, and don't understand why some keep searching for the unholy grail of more horsies-nor are they willing to lose the utility of the stock configuration. That's fine-they sometimes don't stop to think it's because of the pseudo-engineers that those ample horses are there to begin with: Austin Coil started on mini-bikes just like the rest of us. So nothing wrong with experimenting, it's how we got to this point.

FI is easy-the system, unlike carbs, responds automatically (to a degree) to flow mods. Any restriction in airflow therefore costs horsepower, a dirty airfilter will cost you power, but unlike carbed engines, won't result in an overly rich mixture and the attendant issues for example. The system simply responds to less airflow and compensates. The opposite, then, is also true-easier access to air (and that's essentially what these airbox mods accomplish) and the FI will increase fuel flow as well. Allow the atmosphere to stuff more mix into the chambers, and you get more power, plain and simple-restrict and you lose, also simple. At 4000 intake strokes per cylinder per minute at 8000 rpm (math?), it's not hard to understand the stock intake area is restrictive-that's a whole lot of air trying to get in. I've yet to see a motor, any motor, not respond to intake and exhaust flow improvements, all else being equal. It's just with FI it's so damn simple compared to trying to set up carbed intakes, which have to be tuned to the restriction inherent in any airflow blockage-and where carb filters, as they get dirty, keep changing mixture beyond the original tune, FI just changes along with it-a perfect scenario.

Keep it up guys-you're makin' this ol' hot rodder proud!

I agree. Just intake mods without exhaust mods are very limited.
That may be true but not necessarily. It depends an where the log jam is. If the intake box is the limiter, then the air box mod will be significant. If the cat or muffler is, then the maybe not so much.

What really makes this mod so good is it's free. If I can get a couple of ponies and quicker response for free then I am all over this, but I don't feel the bike lacking in power enough to spend $300 or what ever an exhaust cost.

It all depends on your perspective.

I believe most if not all factory exhaust are not usually good flowing compared to the aftermarket. Slipons for the fjr don't seem to be cheap. Looks like anywhere from 600 to 1000 or more. I agree that if you get a few horses but more important torque it would be worth it. That's why I ask my question in the first place. Usually you start chasing issues like leaness or richnes then the money starts going out. If you can get a little more power without a hassle I'm all for it. Like who wants a stock bike? The fjr is probably one that is ok stock though.

I don't know where I heard it or saw it. I bought my bike new and started researching it 5 years ago. I did realize that "advertises" was a possible mistake and at least out of date when I posted it. I'm pretty sure it was in the FJR's posted specs. The stock bike was certainly a boring 145 HP for this training pilot.

I would never mod an air box and expect to get away with stock pipes, but my lil DR is a roaring beast with no exhaust mods and a HUGE hole in the air box along with a HUGE main jet. I love that thing too. Now. Ok I did change sprockets too. <_< When combined with a method to adjust fuel rate(s), WW's work is cutting edge and Cdog's is pure logic, again IMHO.

My requirement for both is the stock air filter. I don't expect to dyno tune anything. I know what I like. I test... then keep or reject changes. It's fun. All it takes is information and leisure time.

enjoy.

The stock bike was certainly a boring 145 HP for this training pilot.
Try down shifting..............twice, then hammer it. And you do know there is a rev limiter at about 10k, right. To call any bike that can lift the front wheel on throttle alone boring sounds a little odd to me.

You don't list what year your bike is, but I'd guess an '06. They aren't as exciting as the Gen I bikes. Longer wheelbase, taller final drive, etc. You should have researched less and bought earlier. :)

Ok so I punched out the back of the air box and pumped up the co numbers by 7 each. all stock else where filter and exhaust. seemed to run a bit better. I noticed the filter was only dirty on one side using half of it.? I'll get a K&N soon maybe play with the co numbers for fun.

I want to keep her quiet so the stock pipes are gonna stay put. Power is good anyways just had a tight feeling around 4k I didn't wear my earplugs on the test run (thought I could hear better) so I'm not sure if its gone. Wierd how ya hear somethings better with ear plugs.

Anyone Dyno'ed the bike after this airbox mod yet? I noticed its been a couple months with no posts... Someones gotta have a verdict by now.