Cdogs Air Box Mod... So damm simple even a "Caveman" could do it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not dynoed mine., Dont have the money right now... I did pull my airfilter the other day to swap it with my other one I had in the garage. This air filter was dirty all the way through the center. The one I had in the box from before was only half way through. So it seems to hold that most of the air was coming through the first half of the filter prior to the mod.

As a side note.. I had to to a TBS after I did this. Not to "save" the engine but to make it smooth again.

I also did WW's mode of removing the air induction system and resyncing it again.

So to my bike thus far.

This airbox mod

+7 Barbarian Jumper mod

PCIII

Muzzy 421 system (full header system)

Removed Air induction system

I wish I had the means and knowledge to fine tweak it the way WW did his machine. I am sure more "Fine Tuning" to nail the very center of the Fuel/Air and other things would make a screaming difference.

Other farkles dont relate to the engine performance

I am happy with the bike.. (I have put some 4500 miles on it after this airbox mod) including a few days in cali with those super quick riders that prowl them thar hills.

Bike is still 5 by 5

Last edited by a moderator:
So far the same air box mods as cdogman did have produced less than I got from the same changes on my 05 FJR as far as how the bike feels on the road. Most of this is a subjective opinion because unlike WW I no longer have someone who I can race with to test the results. The dyno shows the 08 FJR makes 3 more HP with the airbox mod than the 05 bike did when it was tested with the same list of mods except the airbox modification. The 08 bike just doesn't feel as fast and I think this is due to the taller gearing and lower milage. Like WW I purchased a Innovate data logger to fine tune my 2 bikes. I am still waiting on some of the support hardware so I have not had a chance to use it yet and probably won't use it first on the FJR.

Based on my more limited experience with the 08 bike I am convinced the FI system programming from the factory is closer to ideal than the 05 was. For the average guy that wants to tweak the bike the barbarian jumper mod is all you need to do even with a change in exhaust system. There is no HP advantage in switching from the stock air filter to a K&N with either a completly stock airbox or with one modified like cdogman & I did. I verified this in my dyno session with Ryan Schnitz.

I know its been awhile but I finally got around to get down to the Dyno. About 2 Years ago, I dynoed the '05 Cali bike at 129.45 rwhp. Related mods at that time were a K&N, full ceramic coated Holeshot, and of course the PCIII. I did it again today after the infamous Ddogs Air Box Mod. I chose this mod because it was easy, you get to more efficiently use the stock style configuration and thats where I wanted to draw the line. So, with that being the only change, it got me up to 136 even. Same dyno, 67 degrees instead of 94, at sea level. Revs quicker too. I am happily surprised.

When i had many carbed bikes doing away with the air box and putting on aftermarket air filteres to each carb(more air flow0) you had to screw in a larger main jetS for more gas flow . I do not no if the fjr will compensete if you did this mod and have say holeshot cans on .

So to my bike thus far.
This airbox mod

+7 Barbarian Jumper mod

PCIII

:blink:

Why did you do +7 to the CO (via BJM) if you are running a PCIII? :unsure:

Why not just add the desired fuel via the PCIII map? Seems like it would be easier to keep track of that way.

That is essentially what I ended up doing, though I have no intake or exhaust mods at all. I started with a Map that jstewart sent me a copy of. This was from his dyno run on his '05. Then I tweaked cells around some until I got the smoothness (no cruise surging) I was after.

Opening the back side of the Airbox seems like a reasonable mod.

Has anyone considered putting a reverse horn on it like the stock left hand side (for water ingestion avoidance)? You'd still be effectively doubling the intake air.

Who will be the first to hook up a ram air set-up? What a bout a mild blower?

I recall a guy posting a while back about his nitrous set-up. Wonder what ever happened with that one...

I recall a guy posting a while back about his nitrous set-up. Wonder what ever happened with that one...

How about Turbo? Can you turbo a turbine?

I just did CDogs air box mod on Friday. I had to continue using the OEM filter becasue the UNI filter I wanted had to be ordered. With the stock filter, there is a pretty good power increase. I was wondering if I was just fooling myself, so I hammered the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground with a full tank of gas. Doing that at this altitude was impossible before. The only noise difference is when I grab throttle as you can hear the stacks sucking air. They are hungry. There also seems to be morevibration around 80mph that I do not remember before, but I donno if its just because I was trying to feel the bike instead of just riding it. Nothing bad, but I thought it was pretty smooth before. When I go on a good long ride and take my mind off it, I guess I'll know if the perceived increase in vibes is real...

Is there a down side to this mod? example m.p.g etc. Also is the k & n filter a big deal in this also

I did not do the full mod . Instead of i driled 10 1/2 holes inside of the box left out the snorkler ,did not cut out the cover but driled 15 holes in it . Ran the bike for 10 minutes like others have said the rpm run up super fast . Will post when i run here for awhile .

Boy, the title of this thread pisses me off!

caveman1.jpg

For what it's worth, and I can't swear how much of it has to do with just this air box mod, Dogman rode with a bunch of us Cali riders this summer, and he likes to slow down for every curve and then blast out of it. Seemed to pick the front end of his AE up most every time. Yeh, I think it works.

Put 90 miles on her .Opened the air box to check the filter WOW 1/5 was black . Tryed to clean it with compressed air no go . Looks like we will be changing / or cleaning filters alot faster than we used too .

I think there's still a lot skeptics, but to each their own.Once you do it you can tell....it was a [SIZE=14pt]VERY NOTICABLE[/SIZE] [positive] difference for me. :yahoo:

For a dalla too.. fixed it for ya...

I am not invested in bieng right to need others to agree with me.... It worked for me.. and I was just sharing.... I did it for me, and I am just trying to give back.... I have been given SO much by the other board members... that is why i wanted to give back, thats all....

the knowledge I have gained here is unreal... others gave so much more than I so many times before.....
From looking at your pictures its hard to tell but isn't this modification the same as pulling the air filter and tossing it in the garbage then putting the fairing back together? I don't get how the filter can filter air with the hole punched out on the inside.

:dribble:

From looking at your pictures its hard to tell but isn't this modification the same as pulling the air filter and tossing it in the garbage then putting the fairing back together? I don't get how the filter can filter air with the hole punched out on the inside.

Nightshift,

WW airbox mod does not create an opening that is unfiltered. Cdogmans might be the easiest to explain, but WW is really no different. If you open the Airbox to inspect the filter you'll notice how the filter is fitted. A hole is cut on the right side of the airbox following the inside of the airfilter lip; thus, allowing the filter to still be utilized. On the left side, the cone is removed allowing a more evenly distribution of air through the filter.

WW airbox mod is similar; however, he cut both sides of the airbox to its max and custom fitted K&N filter on either side.

Both utilize filters and filtration is not reduced (unless of course you want to pick-up the K&N filter controversy ;)

Hope this helps.

Sport

Nightshift,

WW airbox mod does not create an opening that is unfiltered. Cdogmans might be the easiest to explain, but WW is really no different. If you open the Airbox to inspect the filter you'll notice how the filter is fitted. A hole is cut on the right side of the airbox following the inside of the airfilter lip; thus, allowing the filter to still be utilized. On the left side, the cone is removed allowing a more evenly distribution of air through the filter.

WW airbox mod is similar; however, he cut both sides of the airbox to its max and custom fitted K&N filter on either side.

Both utilize filters and filtration is not reduced (unless of course you want to pick-up the K&N filter controversy ;)

Hope this helps.

Sport
I think I know what he is doing now. There's still a closed circuit for the airflow. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mick

So to my bike thus far.
This airbox mod

+7 Barbarian Jumper mod

PCIII

Why did you do +7 to the CO (via BJM) if you are running a PCIII? :unsure:

Why not just add the desired fuel via the PCIII map? Seems like it would be easier to keep track of that way.

That is essentially what I ended up doing, though I have no intake or exhaust mods at all. I started with a Map that jstewart sent me a copy of. This was from his dyno run on his '05. Then I tweaked cells around some until I got the smoothness (no cruise surging) I was after.

Opening the back side of the Airbox seems like a reasonable mod.

Has anyone considered putting a reverse horn on it like the stock left hand side (for water ingestion avoidance)? You'd still be effectively doubling the intake air.

Did anyone ever answer these good questions posed by Fred W? I too am running a PCIII, K&N filter, Blueflame performance slip-ons and am considering doing the air box mod.

I was also wondering why no one has considered putting some say mosquito mesh (metal type?) over the newly opened hole, that should not affect airflow too much but will prevent any large debris or mouse jihad from blocking the inside of the filter.

Cdogman, can you pls explain the pros/cons of removing the Air Induction System?

Also, could you pls provide some idea of your MPG readings after all the mods?

I read about UselessPickles removing it as part of his Motty AFR Tuner install, but what does it do here?

Motty AFR Tuner Install

For youse guys who've gutted your airboxes for the WW or CDogman airbox mod, is there room in there, if you just pitched the entire airbox, to put in a set of these?

pods.jpg

Put a set on my ZRex, along with a fully Muzzy system and re-jetted, finely-tuned carbs, and dyno'd from 105 stock to 135 rwhp.

The Rex is VERY lean and "corked-up" from the factory, but apparently, so is the Feej.

It WOULD require a PCIII to "re-jet" the Feej, but with a full system, no "cat" and "commando" intake, a Dyno WOULD prove out.

Just curious if the throttle bodies and room where the airbox currently sits could accomodate a set of pods.

I can tell you, that at least for the Zrx, if you do this, or any kind of airbox mod, without attendant fueling increase, the motor simply falls flat on its face from going even leaner than stock. I'd bet the Feej would, too.

Often wondered that myself Circus boy..

I think that might just work as I've been that deep into the Innards.. Though I didn't think to measure what kinda space was available.

Since the season here is weeks away, Hows aboot ya send me a case of beer and I'll tear into the scoot to check viability?

:jester: