Charging method for Yuasa battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a new Yuasa battery on-line. It is shipped with the acid (seperately). Is a Battery Tender Jr. capable of fully activating the charge in this battery?

Thanks for the in-put.

I'm planning on buying a new Yuasa battery on-line. It is shipped with the acid (seperately). Is a Battery Tender Jr. capable of fully activating the charge in this battery?

Thanks for the in-put.
The battery probably comes with instructions for charging, but I have used my BT jr to charge a new car battery (3 days), revive a stone dead winter-stored car battery (2 days), and two motorcycle batteries (left on for a week or more both times but were probably fully charged in 24 hrs or so). It might take a day or so to get your new battery up to charge, but I believe it will work just fine.

Oh please.. I tell ya, this place is really getting anal..

I was told I would die If I cobbled up one of my many unused 12 volt cordless drill chargers and used it to keep the electrons inside that plastic housing happy.. That was three years ago and I and the battery have survived yet another winter..

Just charge the battery like the instructions say. Electrons don't give a hoot, they just wanna be happy.

I might add a tender ain't a charger though The name imply's such.

I have activated YUASA batteries. Great, long lasting units. Add the acid according to directions and give it a few hours to absorb. Use a 1,0 to 1.8 amp charger to top off a deep charge, and you're done. If you don't get directions, check out the YUASA site, and there are good details in initial charging. Just like break-in, it's important to do it right.

Oh please.. I tell ya, this place is really getting anal..

I was told I would die If I cobbled up one of my many unused 12 volt cordless drill chargers and used it to keep the electrons inside that plastic housing happy.. That was three years ago and I and the battery have survived yet another winter..

Just charge the battery like the instructions say. Electrons don't give a hoot, they just wanna be happy.

I might add a tender ain't a charger though The name imply's such.

Soooo...what are you saying Bust? I know it's called a tender...but will it or won't it (charge the new battery)? That's why I asked. I've got a car battery charger, which I have been told would fry the motorcycle battery. But..I have the Tender. Is it capable of doing the job right on the new motorcycle battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tender should have the rating (that it is capable of) written somewhere on it, the tender part is the electronics to maintain charge; it is still capable of providing charge at the stated capacity. Since your new battery comes with acid (to be added), I'm sure the directions for putting into service will be complete.

If you check Yuasa's directions, you are to charge it at a certain rate for a certain time.... Battery Tenders will stop charging long before this time and go into float mode. That said, the proper chargers are hard to find.

To me BT Jr's are OK if the battery is already charged, but aren't very good at charging a discharged battery. Need the regular Tender for that.

As Ray said Mogambo.. Those units are rather underated for use as chargers.

Seems like mine took overnight plus a few hours to get close to fully charged from dead.

As Ray said Mogambo.. Those units are rather underated for use as chargers.

Seems like mine took overnight plus a few hours to get close to fully charged from dead.

Well here's a little nugget that I found out today.. I was checking on the auto charger I had, which was a Sears DieHard 6/12 10/2/60 automatic charger. I googled for info as to it's safe use for motorcycle batteries and found out that it had been recalled in 1997 as a fire hazard. Yikes! I have been using this thing for my deep cycyle battery on my fishing boat! The Consumer Saftey whatever, said their usage should be discontinued immediately and returned to Sears for replacement. Keep in mind, I've had this thing for 15 years. I took it over to Sears automotive and showed them the report and they replaced it on the spot with a top of the line charger that does everything. My new battery will be charged properly on my brand new, state-of-the-art charger. This turned out well.

If anybody has a Sears DieHard 10/2/60amp 6/12volt automatic charger model no. 200.71310 manufactured approximately between 1996-1997 (check specific dates on the report) take it to Sears and pick up your new charger. (Bring the report).

P.S. Rocky Moutain ATV/MC had the Yuasa FJR battery for 117.99-no tax and free shipping. Seemed like an o.k. deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this thread was good for a few things then eh? Sweet luck man!

And you might have assisted others in getting a nicer charger ;)

Thankfully it didn't burn yer joint down.