Chatterbox Or Autocom???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I'm going on a 2 week trip with my main squeeze soon, and wanted to get your guys professional opinion on communication setup.

I'm looking at the Autocom Active 7 Smart with a second headset and the Chatterbox GMRS X1 Package. Both are the same price.

I will basicly just be communicating with the Ms and listening to XM for now, but will need to communicate Bike to bike and possibly have an input for the GPS/radar detector in the near future. I don't talk on the cell while driving, so that isn't an issue. My tank bag will soon be setup to support multiple devices via 1 connection, so putting the autocom in the bag is a big plus.

Does anyone have one of these setups, Can you give me the positive AND negetive sides to them.

Thanks!

Alex

I don't have any first hand experience, but I ride a guy and his wife that I trust very much. His opinions and prodding got me into motorcycling... that said, he and his wife had a set of Chatterbox thingies for a period of a day.

He got them out, installed everything to the sides of the full face helmets and went for their first ride. He claims that the device would turn on/off without warning, wind would activate the microphone, the channels were never clear... in other words, they just didn't work.

So back to the store they went. He got refunded and bought a set of Collett communicators and loves them!

Collett Electronics

I also have quite a few friends that snowmobile each winter here in Michigan and they swear by this company. Not sure how the prices are in comparison, but I'd rather pay for quality than long for functionality.

Good luck shopping!

I have the Autocom Active-7 Smart and I am very pleased with it. Please understand that this model is meant for a 12 volt connection, it does not run off of batteries. If you want to put it in your tank bag, you will have to fashion a quick disconnect plug of some sort.

As far as communications though, I am very satisfied with the Autocom. I read, researched and then re-read before buying any of them. I considered just about everything and just kept narrowing things down til I was down to 3 that fit my needs. I ultimately chose Autocom because I got a great place locally with support if I needed it. So far, I haven't, it works great.

I have the Autocom Series 7 also, and agree that it's a pretty good setup. I have XM and comm w/ the S.O. My only complaint is that when I get a cross wind or speeds in excess of 90mph the VOX activates and I get wind noise in the system. On a recent long solo trip (where the only concern was XM radio, not helmet to helmet comm) I cranked the VOX up to the point that I'd now have to yell to activate it...just to keep the wind noise from irritating me.

I currently have a pair of motorola GMRS radios with mic input and speaker out. Is that all I need besides a cord to connet to the Active 7 smart to communicate bike to bike?

If that person has the same setup, are all 4 of us in the same conversation. Is there a way to just communicate with the passenger and not the other bike, or is it always brodcasting when hooked up that way. (with the GMRS radio on)

Thanks for you guy's input, I'm leaning towards the Autocom setup.

Alex

I run the Chatterbox FRS X2 and it works fine with the push-to-talk buttons.

VOX works with a little fine-tuning and a quiet helmet on a faired bike... which means it works great on my end on the FJR but doesn't work on my wife's no-windshield Buell Blast.

We get 2miles out of it if the road is clear and straight.

Is there a way to just communicate with the passenger and not the other bike, or is it always brodcasting when hooked up that way. (with the GMRS radio on)
Rider to passenger is done internally thru the autocom, the FRS/GRMS radio's are only needed for bike to bike. You will need autocom's connector for the Motorola radio's and that will include a push to talk switch.

If riders in your group have different systems are they still able to communicate? In other words, whats the frequency Kenneth?

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK there are 2 common types .... those that use FRS/GRMS radio's and others that use CB's. Anyone on the same type system and same channel can communicate with each other.

Happy Autocom Pro7 user here. GMRS radios will talk to each other but my buddies and I use a Kenwood privacy 'hailing code' to avoid unwanted reception (you can hear us but we can't hear you). I doubt the privacy feature is the same for different brands.

I'm not too worried, they will listen, but won't be able to hear the whole sentance before I'm out of range!! Just kidding, I don't drive that fast. :rolleyes:

Anyone else find it hard, almost impossible to keep this beast at the speed limit? That's one of the reasons for putting on my Autocom, throttle control.

I second the STAR COM vote. Very happy with it!

-XM Radio

-Cell Phone

-V1 Radar Detector

-GMRS Two-Way Radio

It all works great through my Star Com helmet mike and Challenger custom molded ear phones.

B)

I've been hearing of the 'noise' features on some units are nothing more than volume increasers. The Softline unit has a noise cancellation feature called MANR, that cuts the noise without increasing the volume.

Any thoughts?

I've got the Autocom active7 Smart. Best money ever spent.

I have it so I can switch off between a portable (Midland 75-822) CB and a Midland GMRS/FRS radio.

The audio quality in stereo sounds like a nightclub. I've heard other brands.....I won't go there. ;)

The available PTT switch has three settings. VOX, PTT, or always on (transmitting).

The passenger can hear what's coming through, but cannot respond back. Only the driver can respond.

I've done consistent triple digits with the wife on back, and the intercom section sounds perfectly clear. Very important when she's being a back seat driver.

Their (Autocom) service is the best...period. I had a loose wire in one mic, and I had a new one within 48 hrs.

I'm currently figuring out the proper CB antenna for best transmission. The rubber ducky on the CB won't cut it.

There's a guy on the other FJR site that gives great deals on the Autocom. His name is Kieth.

So there's my $.02 worth. hope it helps.

Randy

Yep, I know about Kieth, I posted his contact info on the micapeak list because of his 15% off that he offers to FJR members.

Sounds like this Autocom unit is the way to go!

Thanks guys for all your help. See you on the road.

Alex

From all reports I've heard from folks that have gone with Baehr this is the shit!

More inputs than most other audio packages but expensive, even more so than autocom.

I considered it but have to much invested in autocom at this point to make the switch.