Chatterbox Or Autocom???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starcom1 here. Good mid-price-range unit. Only two audio in's, though, so if you go crazy, you may need a MixIt or risk Y-ing the sources (I do that but never turn on both radio and ipod)

I would like to get the Active 7 Smart. Has anyone found the cheapest place to purchase? What is micapeak, and who is the Kieth guy?

From all reports I've heard from folks that have gone with Baehr this is the shit!
More inputs than most other audio packages but expensive, even more so than autocom.

I considered it but have to much invested in autocom at this point to make the switch.
dougc,

Thanks for the reply. Since my $500 deposit with D&H didn't get me an '06, I don't have a bike---yet. Plenty of time to shop.

Sounds like Baehr might be the way to go if one can swing the price. However, by the time I have a bike to put an intercom on, maybe the bluetooth equipment will have all the bugs worked out. Anyone have experience/ opinions on the wireless equipment.

I decided after a lot of research and reviews that if I were to get an intercom it would be either the Autocom or Baehr. I just could never get comfortable with the prices since I'd never had much luck in the past.

I ebayed an Easicom v8 Autocom unit for pretty cheap and that got me going. Now that I know how well they work I figure the next upgrade will be the Active 7 unit from Autocom. I like the size, adjustable volume, and the ability to be portable or bike powered with a simple adapter. The Pro 7 had way more than I need.

I only wanted MP3, Cell Phone, and Intercom ability. That's what I got in the Easicom v8 unit and all for under $200.

Check ebay for the Autocom and Baehr system as well. I saw a couple Baehr systems up there around a month ago for around $350 to $500.

After a disasterous try with StarCom, I went with Softline and found a very quiet intercom. I don't ever have wind noise and the VOX is seamless.

I enjoy it.

dobias

AUTOCOM :clap:

Iinstalled the top of the line Pro 7 Sport and love it! I've used it with multiple MP3 players my cell phone & radar detector. The sound quality is very good and I can still hear it while pushing 2X's the speed limit.

TX SLIDE

Just spoke with Kieth again today. He gave the OK for posting his contact info. He is an autocom dealer. He offers 15% to members of the FJRowners list, just tell him that Alex gave you the info, he will honor the discount.

Kieth Goudelock

918-446-2245

[email protected]

I'm going with Softline...
Do you know where yet? I'm looking for a deal, as usual. It sounds like a good unit but, then again, my POS AudioBoss came recommended as well.

Question about the Autocom: Does the Driver and Passenger have individual volume controls for each headset for the intercom and music? Looked at their website, but it didn't really say if they are seperate controls or not..............Thanks Don

I'm going with Softline...
Do you know where yet? I'm looking for a deal, as usual. It sounds like a good unit but, then again, my POS AudioBoss came recommended as well.
Bob,

It's not here yet. They've back-ordered a framastat gizmo for my 276C from Germany. I told them to hold and ship complete.

Find out all about them here:

Softline

Call Speed directly (# is noted on the website). He's a pretty cool dood and anything he doesn't know, he'll get from Germany PDQ. Oh, and don't forget to ask for "the discount".

Last edited by a moderator:
Question about the Autocom: Does the Driver and Passenger have individual volume controls for each headset for the intercom and music? Looked at their website, but it didn't really say if they are seperate controls or not..............Thanks Don
Don,

It does not, and as far as I can tell, that's the only thing that sucks about the Autocom.

See my mini-review at https://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...=ST;f=2;t=34407 for how I dealt with needing the passenger and rider to have different volume levels.

Some Baehr units have a volume balance for each audio input. e.g. You can hear the GPS, but your passenger won't, passenger gets music at a louder volume than you, etc. But you pay for it.

JaminBrown - went to your mini-review and learned a couple of valuable things on install - just got my Active 7 Mon night and will install this weekend. Thanks!

Bearly Flying, IIRC Kieth will have a solution for you. I think he can get some different component parts to work on the Autocom to adjust the volume separately between the rider and pillion.

Glenn

Thanks for the info. Seems like quite an oversight on Autocom's part, not having seperate volume controls. I was seriously considering the Autocom active 7, but I know the Wife and I probably wont be able to find a volume that will work for both of us, and you guy's know who will win that battle......Thanks Don

I am making the same decision. Local store allowed me to try the cheaper Chatterbox with option of returning it. I did. It sucks. I am going with Starcom and will let you know how that is for me in a few weeks.

Chatterbox couldn't be understood well over 55mph

Last edited by a moderator:
Dobias/TwoWheelNut,

What Softline unit did you go with? What is the major difference between their $500+ unit and their sub-$300 units? Integrated Active Noise Reduction Module? Are they all hi-fi stereo?

Appears headsets are additional to the above prices. What if I prefer in-ear monitors to helmet speakers??

Thanks,