Cheap HID Aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be the guinea pig, just ordered a set from Side by Side.... I also just fabricated a new under mirror light bracket(last few days). It ties both mirrors together for strength. Hopefully this will prevent broken fairing supports from the weight of the lights. Also a tip-over won't break a light off (mounted a little inboard)... I will post more pic's of it when painted. I made it strong enough for the Solteks, so I think it will be great for these cheap-o's..

Here's one pic... more to follow

Smitty

025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a link that shows the Fuego's at 4200 K and at 3200 lumens.
Smitty

On second page.

Not a preferred vender!!
I had got my info from a post of Iggy's, I assume he was referring to the combined lumens form 2 units so that's my mistake. The doc you referred to in your post states that "all 35 watt 4200K HIDs put out 3200 lumens." So the power shouldn't be an issue. It will come down to reflector design to see just how effectively they use the 3200 lumens at hand.

My man Smitty sent me a link this morning. Cheap, Chinese made HID aux lights. Ballast and igniter are internal like the Solteks.
Chinese quality notwithstanding, will these lights throw out a good amount of light and a good beam pattern?

What think you all? Anybody tried any of these yet? I wonder how much they weigh?

4" HID light for $110 each.

7" HID light for $115 each.
Price looks good for HIDs. I wonder how well one can use them for highway use unless on a completely unpopulated highway with no oncoming traffic. I guess it depends on how you line them up though. I will consider these (4" ones) on my FJR since in winter, the draw of current is quite a bit with the Hella FF50s when using electric jacket liner, electric gloves and heated grips.

doctorj

I'm thinking these would be good for Wabs. At this price destroying one or two due to crashing doesn't seem as bad..

I promise not to look down my nose at your Chinese HID's, if you'll promise not to look down yours at my $130.00 OTD Chinese helmet....

2010-Z1R-Venom-Solid-Helmet-White.gif

These Chinese Aux lights sure do look awfully similar to the Solteks.

They appear to be a knock-off, even down to the red trim rings on the front.

As others have said, the HID capsule intensity will be the same output as the Solteks.

The questions will be how good of a job they did emulating the reflectors (beam cast) and how durable and reliable they are.

While these are a relative steal compared to the Solteks, they aren't giving them away at > $100 a pop.

The questions will be how good of a job they did emulating the reflectors (beam cast) and how durable and reliable they are.

While these are a relative steal compared to the Solteks, they aren't giving them away at > $100 a pop.

+1

Buck

Dls.TX

True, it all depends on how well they emulated the design of the Soltek lights. However, I would wager to guess that even if it was a poor duplication, they will still outperform the other Chinese made aux lights (PHIDS) that everyone raves about.

$100 is practically giving them away. A replacement HID bulb could range anywhere from $40 (D2S) to $100 (D1S) depending on the type they use. Then add the cost of a ballast, and the light is fairly reasonable. Not to mention the fact that SolTek's cost on average $300 per lamp, PHID's originally sold over over $600 a set, FF200 are over $500 a set, and even the Hella Micro DE Xenon driving lights are still over $500 a set. I think in the grand scheme of things $200 for a set of HID lamps is very well priced!

I wouldn't recommend using these lights as driving lights on the freeway. By the time you dip them down low enough where you are not blinding oncoming traffic, they're not going to be casting alot of light down the road. If you want HID aux lights that you can have on with oncoming traffic, I think your best bet would be to look for aux lights designed for that. Ones that come to mind are the Hella DE Xenon lights. Not cheap by any means, but they have a cutoff and are designed as fog/driving lights.

I wonder if they will be water tight ? When Smitty gets his I will have to get down to his place so we can compare the Soltecks My FF200 and the Chinesse all together.

I just received the 4” HID. After some reviewing I will definitely be mounting these to my FJR. The bang for the buck is going to be hard to beat.

Here are some close-ups:

DSC05449.jpg

DSC05447.jpg

Mounting adjustments

DSC05446.jpg

Reflector

DSC05448.jpg

Of course I had to dissemble it!

Water proof electronics

DSC05442.jpg

Trim ring

DSC05444.jpg

DSC05445.jpg

Wait, what is that?

DSC05439.jpg

A soft silicone seal attached to the reflector:

DSC05440.jpg

I then removed the bulb and I hear a suction sound. The bulb and electronics are air tight.

I did hook this up to a 12V batter sitting on the shelf and was VERY impressed with the light patter and brightness. These have a Euro pattern and concentrate most of the light along a horizontal plan with a small area in the center with extra intensity. I will post pictures of that when it gets dark.

Here is a picture of my current setup. I mounted some el’chepo light in and above the mirror mounts:

P1010745.jpg

I’ll try to create a mount that will utilize the 2 side mounts for the HID mounts.

Wow, these are looking better and better all the time. I had a set of FF50's but didn't use them due to the 110W power draw for minimal actual added light. I think I can see these being worth the ~70W draw for lots of added light. Plus I would only use them as the high beams, and probably install HID low beams into the headlight bucket.

Hey Alex, can you do me a favor and shoot a pic of the back of the HID bulb? Just wondering what kind of bulb (D1S, D2S, or custom) it has in it.

Well I only have the 1 light mounted for these pics but the benefit is easily shown.

P1020109.JPG

Dim lights

P1020089.JPG

Bright

P1020090.JPG

Dim + HID

P1020093.JPG

Here is the spread from the HID

P1020107.JPG

Alex, this is just one light correct??..... If so two will be great... Thanks for the info, my lights will be here Thursday. I will have my new light bracket painted and installed by then along with the wiring. This looks to be a very good and cheap way to have some HID's.

Smitty

Yup, Looks like these will make some pretty darn good high beams.

So the hot set-up would be to wire these up to come on and off with the high beam switch on the handlebars, and install a set of low beam only HID lights into the headlamp buckets. I assume that they fire up at roughly the same speed that any other HID capsule does. Which is to say, you wouldn't be able to use them to "flash to pass" but they will come on and fire up in about a second or so, which would be fine for actual high beam use.

Alex and smitty141, are you guys going to start new threads showing your light brackets?

It sounds like Smitty is finished with his, but Alex, as you design consider spacing the mirrors away from the bike.

<Brackets for aux lights, Are there any that act as spacers for the mirrors?>

Also, keep in mind that the GenII mirror assembly pivots in a plane nearly perpendicular to the ground. It might be easer to make a light bracket to fit in that gap rather than against the fairing, especially when tying the two mirrors together.

I'll be watching for those updates guys!

... Here is the spread from the HID
P1020107.JPG
Is it me, or does it seem that the light is concentrated in one spot? I don't know if this is aiming, but it appears that you'll burn a hole in the concrete, but 10' away it is black as night. Maybe just the camera or what, but I would expect a more ecen beamcast is your goal...

-BD

... Here is the spread from the HID
P1020107.JPG
Is it me, or does it seem that the light is concentrated in one spot? I don't know if this is aiming, but it appears that you'll burn a hole in the concrete, but 10' away it is black as night. Maybe just the camera or what, but I would expect a more ecen beamcast is your goal...

-BD
Looks to me like he has the HID aimed down so you can see the shape of the whole beam. It's a nicely shaped beam with most of the light concentrated in the middle where you need it when it's aimed down the road. Looks like a pretty good light, especially for the money!