Cheap radar detector mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryM

Reaction score
I am new to the FJR, My other bike is a KLR so you guys should be able to understand my mindset.

This is a simple mount to hold my radar detector. All I had to do was drill and tap the boss on the front master cylinder, cut a piece of stainless sheet metal, drill a hole in it and attach self adhesive velcro to radar detector and new mount plate.

Just thought I would share, feel free to comment.

RdrMnt1.jpg

RdrMnt2.jpg

Looks good. I would be interested to know if the aluminum plate will be strong enough over time. Did you feel that velcro directly on the master cylinder would not be enough surface area, or is it that the angle was not right?

Looks good. I would be interested to know if the aluminum plate will be strong enough over time. Did you feel that velcro directly on the master cylinder would not be enough surface area, or is it that the angle was not right?
The plate is stainless steel, I think it is 30 gauge. It flexes but not too much.

You are right, I originally had it velcro'd to the master cylinder lid. The angle wasn't too far off horizontal but it bugged me to use such an important component to mount something else. I am sure the sheet metal I used will hold up long term. and of course all I have to do to change items mounted or where I am mount an item is add the correct type of velcro.

I.E. The same detector can be moved to the KLR or the car and of course a cell phone (using an otter box or something like it) can be placed on the bars.

Great idea GaryM.

I fabed a mount similar to yours on an HD Road King, mounted it to the metal windshield strap.

Good thing I never have to worry about vibration on the HD. :p

When it rains I remove it.

I just might copy your design for the FJR.

Thanks

Robert

I used to have my RD attached to my dash shelf with Velco similar to what you are using.The sticky stuff that holds the velcro to the metal let loose on a very cold morning and I found the RD dangling by the power cord. I suggest you add something to retain the RD in case the velcro fails.

In my case I built a small box out of clear plastic that retains the RD and protects it from rain.

Last edited by a moderator: