Chicago to Alaska

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of riding from Chicago to Alaska between the months of June - August for total of 16 days.

I know it's not alot, but that is the max amount of days I can take off from work. I still have to find a person to go on the trip with, because I dont want to go alone. Anyways, my question is, would FJR be a good enough of a bike to go ride to Alaska on? I just want feel like riding for miles on dirt road. What is your opinion?

Thanks.

Hello,
I'm thinking of riding from Chicago to Alaska between the months of June - August for total of 16 days.

I know it's not alot, but that is the max amount of days I can take off from work. I still have to find a person to go on the trip with, because I dont want to go alone. Anyways, my question is, would FJR be a good enough of a bike to go ride to Alaska on? I just want feel like riding for miles on dirt road. What is your opinion?

Thanks.

Spent 14 days up there this summer on my 06'. Dirt sections were short road repair areas. The longest was a 14 mile stretch. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would highly recommend you do not attempt it without a new set of tires. I had on a new pair of PR 2's and their still on the FJR. Great tire for handling and miles.

FJR to Alaska, done it twice from DeKalb. 16 days is cutting it short. With good weather and a plan you can do it. Last year I planned on 21 days for 10,000 miles I took 25 days enjoyed every minute never pushed it. First time I took a month. I did it in an rv also took 2 months for that trip. All depends on how much you want to see.

+1 I have been up twice and taken around a month. You can do it in 16 days, but it depends how much you want to push and what you want to see? With lots of daylight, you can run long days.

I would take a little extra take time to ride the beautiful Cassiar one way, stopping by Hyder AK on the way. Also ride the section between Jasper and Banff. If I remember correctly, the Cassiar was completely paved this summer except for one section between Watson Lake and Dease Lake.

Example of one funny novice solo 16 day trip:

A couple of years ago there was an interesting article in BMWMOA magazine about a virgin LD rider on a BMW R100RT from Philly that had 16 days to ride to Purdoe Bay and back. Had his helmet stolen while at a MN minimart, decided to ride up the haul road on worn tires(time issue-couldn't get them when he wanted) and went down once or twice tearing off a saddle back, something fell off one throttle linkage so the bike didn't have much power while being chased by a wolf on the muddy haul road....... Anyway, he made it after finally getting a new throttle assemble and new tires southbound. He gave an amusing, well attended presentation 2 1/2 yrs ago at the BMWMOA national rally in West Bend WI. He made it back to Philly late Sunday night on the 16th day and went to work Monday morning!!!

FJRski,

The wife and I did this trip the last week of June 1st week of July this year for a total of 17 days and 10,700 Miles form South Central Pennsylvania......It was Awesome !

Yes, I would like to have a month but this is why those of us that work for a living own FJR's........They are a Mile A Munching Machine that allow us the opportunity to see the Wonders and Beauty on the other side of the mountain in the bit of time our employers give us !

We had a Great Time and I would do it again. A word of advice if I might....Allow yourself extra time on the return trip as you get used to the 22 hours of daylight in "The Great State Of Alaska" and the days get short on the return trip as well as loosing 4 hours for the time change (eastern time).

We went into Skagway, Ferry to Hanes, to Delta Junction, South to Valdez, To Anchorage and the South to Portage, Back north thru Wasilla and up to Fairbanks, Up to The Arctic Circle and back to Fairbanks for a rear tire, to Delta Junction then to Chicken, and from there over to Dawson City( Yukon).

I have a photo story of the trip. send a P/ email and I will mail you a copy if interested.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but buy the moments that take your breath away" and you will have your fair share of those on this trip.......Go For It !

John