Chicken Strips on my Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twigg

Just an old, bald man!
Reaction score
As riding season gets into full swing, thoughts turn to fun, long days and lazy summers. Along with that we get the inevitable spills that go with the thrill, some of which have tragic consequences. I have been riding motorcycles for a long, long time. "Surely not Twigg", I hear you say. "You don't look old enough!".

Sadly though, I am old enough to have spent forty years on two wheels, and I've enjoyed every damned one of them.

We all take a different approach to our riding. Mine is really quite conservative. A couple of years ago when talk turned to "performance", I jotted down a few thoughts and I'd like to share them here. This is not a prescription. I am not your Dad, nor your nanny. You do whatever you want and I'll cheer on your exploits as you relate them.

This is just me ....

With the current vogue for discussing "competence" I would like to share a few thoughts that may amuse some, entertain a few more, but hopefully resonate.

My motorcycle license plate backer declares that the rider of this machine is one of "The Worlds Toughest Riders". It is, not to put too fine a point on it, complete bollocks.

I am not tough, not in flesh nor attitude. I am a slightly prickly, a bit anal, but soft-centered, 54 year old husband and father. I bruise when I fall and cry when emotionally distressed. I am typical of my breed.

If I have what could be described as "a quiet determination", then generally I keep it to myself. No one but me knows what resources I bring to bear to stay on a motorcycle for hour after hour. You probably do it too if you are reading this, but what you do is personal to your own circumstances, and no one else knows what they are. Sure we get together occasionally to tell lies, drink beer and generally behave like teens at Prom Night, but we all live in our personal spaces, and the lies are the lies, and the Prom Queen is the Rally Master!

I have ridden motorcycles since I was 16 years old, legally, and a bit before that without telling my Dad. As a teen and young man I admired my friends, who lied about "getting their knee down", pulling wheelies and other feats of daring-do that I never quite managed to master; and never really tried that hard. Have I ever sullied a knee-slider? Well yes, several times, including a couple of occasions where it wasn't actually planned.

There was a time when I believed it reasonable to occasionally do stuff like that on the public highway. Indeed, if you ask Troy Martin he will tell you that I can still get the devil in me, if traffic on a Dallas freeway is deliberately trying to keep me from a timely rally finish! But a ten mile sprint, while it can be fun, is not the way I approach the tricky business of keeping out of trouble on modern, cellphone plagued, roads.

Approach the corner still accelerating on wide open throttle. Pick you braking point, move to the outside then brake on the limit of adhesion. Nail the apex, straighten up then hard back on the gas. Rinse and repeat.

This will get you around the track pretty quickly. If you do it better than the others, for twenty laps, then you will win a Moto-GP. If you do it on the road, you will likely die. So if you want a Track Day, then book one and go play. It's fun.

On the road my only ambition is to get to my destination in one piece, and in a timely manner. If I can do that without incident then I am happy. We talk sometimes about speed, about techniques and styles, and those conversations inform us all. We each bring what we can to make the next journey, one of five miles or five thousand miles, as safe for our friends as shared information can make it.

So on the road I go slow into corners, wait until I can see the exit, straighten up and fast out. It reduces lean angles which, if you have seen my bike, is a good thing. The dynamics of riding tell me that I could go round faster, and do so easily. I could carry a little more speed in, lean quite a lot further and the forces involved would take me through quite safely until .....

Until my back, or heaven forbid, front wheel hits the patch of diesel, thoughtfully left there by the last 18-wheeler with an over-filled tank went around the bend before me ... or until I hit the patch of gravel washed to the outside of the bend ... or until I get to the apex of a tight turn then spot the stationary vehicle, cyclist, or deer and have completely run out of safety margin. Well you get the drift.

Two weeks ago I left home for a two day ride that was scheduled to be just short of two thousand miles. Not a particularly remarkable ride in this company, but we should always keep a sense of perspective. That ride, to everyone outwith our small group, is insane! Really? Two thousand miles on a motorcycle in 42 hours? Are you fucking nuts??

I probably am nuts. We might all be nuts. Yet I am also a nut who is painfully aware of his own mortality. That we do a dangerous thing, even if the risks are calculated, is not lost on me. There is always a small part of me that is a bit scared of the ride, at least beforehand. Those butterflies of anticipation as you are about to embark upon an extraordinary (at least to others) task.

Before every Long Distance Ride, a small part of me doesn't want to go.

It's that part, I believe, that brings me safely back to my family. It's the collective and personal knowledge of the dangers and the risks that ultimately means that I only use one of the dual compounds engineered into my tires. I like that the softer compound is there, it's my safety margin, but if the moulding nibs remain when the tire is worn out, then I am pleased that I just rode ten thousand careful miles that mean I am still around to ride ten thousand more.

I know it's not this simple. I am aware that many of the dangers can be influenced by chance, or factors not within our direct control. But we do what we can to improve the odds, we owe that much to those who love us.

This is simply one man's approach. I don't suggest that anyone else need feel bound by it, nor even informed by it if that philosophy is not for you. Just add it to the collective, and make it to the finish, wherever you are going.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting Twigg.

When I got my first FJR back in late '06, I proceed to set it up for quick riding in the hills. Like you, I also got off a Venture Royale. Living here in the San Jose Bay Area, there are plenty of roads to find out just how proficient you are in pushing the bike to your limits. I got pretty comfortable riding these roads, but this bike was also my commuter. Through the years, I had a chance to mellow a bit. I've grown to appreciate the touring part of the machine, to be able to put in 4 and 5 gas stop days, and still want to get back on the following morning. Most of my distance weekends are between Milpitas and Vista to see my 91 year old father, a rider from way back, who suffered a nasty stroke some 10 years ago.

Last fall I made the run out to Sparks Nevada and enjoyed a couple of days riding with some FJRForum friends. Of the two days riding in that neighborhood, I must say I enjoyed riding out to Gerlach with my good friend Don Carver. It was the first time we rode together since a PGR mission in Pacifica, late summer in '06. The Gerlach ride was quite memorable to me in that the two of us just clicked. We weren't pushing the bikes, we were just out sightseeing and enjoying the countryside, and each other's company. I may be mellowing out, some might say I'm getting older ( I'M STILL 39, dammit ! ), but I'm finding that the road isn't going anywhere, so why hurry? The next day, when I joined a group pushing their way through the hills about Lake Tahoe, I just wasn't in it. I ended up being Tail End Charlie, but that's OK. These OLD guys may have pushed hard, but took long rest breaks.

I enjoyed your post, it's nice to hear someone else wax eloquent on riding their own ride, and enjoying it year after year.

Ride happy my friend.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

99% of the time, I prefer to ride alone.

That way I ride my own ride and at a pace I want.

Being 56 years old and riding for almost 40 years, I don't feel the need to impress anyone but my wife, when I come home safe after each ride.

Can I get the TL;DR version?

If it's about chicken strips, it means one of the two things. You either ride like a complete pussy, or, you're one a hell of a good rider. No chicken strips mean your push you bike hard with not enough skill.

If it's about chicken strips, it means one of the two things. You either ride like a complete pussy, or, you're one a hell of a good rider. No chicken strips mean your push you bike hard with not enough skill.
I disagree. I can push my bike pretty hard, with what I believe is decent skill, and I don't have chicken strips. It's because I don't let my bike lean over as far as it possibly could.

https://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/coming_unglued.aspx

I disagree. I can push my bike pretty hard, with what I believe is decent skill, and I don't have chicken strips. It's because I don't let my bike lean over as far as it possibly could.

Thats what I said.

Thats what I said.

re-reading your comment, yes, you're right :)

I find those who brag about pushing a bike to it's limits on a highway to be foolish. If you really are a skilled rider that can ride a bike at or near 10/10ths, then good, take it to a track. On the highways, sooner or later you will make a mistake or be faced with mistake of someone else. That may end very badly for you and/or someone else.

I have had a bike "On the ground" once in the last 20 years- it was within 2 miles of home on an intended 7 mile ride to work...

... Accidents can happen anywhere, anytime to any type of rider. We all take risks and choose to what degree we will pull the level... Or twist the throttle- to each - his or her own.

Props to Twigg for sharing this. Like him, before each ride, a small part of me is also scared. This is a reminder to hold a cushion for some margin of error. Be diligent. Hedge my bets wherever possible, and say a prayer for the rest.

That said, riding twisties (preferably with camping gear on the pillion seat) is the best kind of riding there is for me. If I can't experience G-forces in the 3rd dimension, well then I'll just take the pickup truck.

Props to Twigg for sharing this. Like him, before each ride, a small part of me is also scared. This is a reminder to hold a cushion for some margin of error. Be diligent. Hedge my bets wherever possible, and say a prayer for the rest.
When I originally shared this on the LD Rider email list I was surprised at the reaction.

So many well-known and accomplished riders admitted to very similar feelings.

It's not so much "fear", but an anticipation, and realisation that you are about to undertake a difficult thing. We do it because we want to, and have calculated the risks as far as we are able. But that feeling of "butterflies" still happens, then we get on the bike and go.

I wrote this in my last Ride Report, for all you lazy people who didn't read it
biggrin.png

A few miles of rainy fog later I am instructed, by both units this time, to take a right turn and drive eleven miles. What is the only thing missing so far? A gravel road, and it is with little surprise that I now find myself on one. So let's recap. From a strong position of being on plan and on time I am now about an hour over time, it is foggy, raining and I find myself on a dirt road somewhere in the Texas Panhandle. Then it began to hail, because of course it did!

I got the photograph, you can see it above complete with hail. This is a low point. Really low. My mind turns to home. Warm dry clothes, warm dry bed, good coffee and it's all just four hundred miles away. I could be there by breakfast time. It can be very easy to simply give up at times like this. Many do and I hear their stories with a great deal of understanding. I remind myself that I am not that guy. This is supposed to be hard. Were it not so there would be little attraction in the first place. In events like this there are going to be times that test you mentally, physically, emotionally. This is why I do it. Not from some masochistic desire to be cold, wet, tired and hailed on, but for the spirit that endures, keeps going when it is hard. The ability to make accurate risk-assessments when the pressure is on and the body is done. If it is safe to continue, then on we go. I programmed the next bonus location into the GPS, and turned away from home.

Spousal unit and I get the same feelings every time we are about to leave on a trip.

I used to do a great deal of skydiving. Had as many as eleven jumps in one day. Before each and every exit I had second thoughts.

I used to think I might be judged if I rode too slow. Then I rode with Fairlaner and found I really couldn't, so I'd rather enjoy the ride and see another day. Something tells me I'd still have to hustle to keep up with Twigg, but if not, I'd wait for him at the next turn, and I'm sure he'd do the same. I mostly keep my idiot side bottled up, but if you see him come out sometime when you're riding with me, remind me I'm being an asshole and knock it the fuk off. I still have some things to live for.

I like to think of it, not as fear, but as an objective assessment of risk. Doesn't matter how good you are, how diligent, or how conservative, there is risk in road conditions, debris, weather, and other vehicles on the same piece of road.

But when you honestly look at motorcycling, isn't risk part of the attraction?

I like the wind in my hair and sun on my face (through my full-face hat). I like smelling the rain, or the magnolias, or the cattle pasture as I go by. I like seeing mountains and marshes and miles upon miles of forest. I like planning the ride, then riding the plan. I like leaning, accelerating, and pulling G-forces. I like the fact that I can handle my motorcycle when encountering sand on a curve, a gravel road, or downtown Atlanta stop-and-go traffic.

All those things set me apart from most of the Earth's population, and that's part of the attraction, too.

I was on a ride a couple of years back that was led by a good endurance racer. He set a fast road clip that we could all keep up with, but he kept us on our toes. At a rest stop I commented to another rider that we were using all our tires. Both of us were scrubbing to the edge. Then we looked at his and noticed he had a half inch of "chicken strip" on both sides of the rear. It was sort of embarrassing
rolleyes.gif

It's not always bad to be able to ride to that thin outer strip of tire. There may be a time that an evasive manuever requires you to use it. And it's best to be able use it with full confidence that the tire and bike will stick and carry you through safely.