Chicken Strips on my Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not always bad to be able to ride to that thin outer strip of tire. There may be a time that an evasive manuever requires you to use it. And it's best to be able use it with full confidence that the tire and bike will stick and carry you through safely.
Good point.

I'd be the last to suggest that folk neglect their skills, and that the ability to use the whole tire is a good skill to have.

As I said ... it's my safety margin when cornering.

It's not always bad to be able to ride to that thin outer strip of tire. There may be a time that an evasive manuever requires you to use it.
The point of the OP is: If you are already riding at the edges of the tires and scraping pegs, as some are wont to do, how do you have any margin to make that evasive maneuver?

And it's best to be able use it with full confidence that the tire and bike will stick and carry you through safely.
On our FJRs, if the road surface is clean and dry, the tires will stick until you lever them off the ground by touching down hard parts. But you don't have any say over whether the road ahead is clean and dry.

Ride your own ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the Gen III to be different in this than the Gen I. At what I perceive to be the same lean angle, the tire is not pushed as hard. Maybe my gen I's shock was getting tired. Maybe the longer wheelbase for the Gen III makes the turn in just a tad different. Maybe (likely) I'm taking it easier on a brand new bike. But regardless, it's different.

I find the Gen III to be different in this than the Gen I. At what I perceive to be the same lean angle, the tire is not pushed as hard. Maybe my gen I's shock was getting tired. Maybe the longer wheelbase for the Gen III makes the turn in just a tad different. Maybe (likely) I'm taking it easier on a brand new bike. But regardless, it's different.
I have my own opinions as to the how and the why but that is another topic.

I can tell you this: You ain't "taking it easier" on your brand new bike. I pushed my ES harder than I have ever ridden following you on a tire you said you did not trust. I am not gonna try following you when you do start trusting that tire and you stop taking it easy.
smile.png

I found myself pushed beyond my comfort zone and there was no one to blame but me. I chose how far to lean, I chose how late to brake, I chose how far to twist the throttle. I erased my chicken strips. Instead of feeling like more of a man, I felt like more of an idiot.

I applaud Twigg for his eloquent prose and for sharing his feelings on this subject. I believe we should all know what our bikes and tires are capable of just in case we need to use all that capability some day. I just don't like exercising it all on a public road. Too many things can go wrong on a public road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found myself pushed beyond my comfort zone and there was no one to blame but me. I chose how far to lean, I chose how late to brake, I chose how far to twist the throttle. I erased my chicken strips. Instead of feeling like more of a man, I felt like more of an idiot.

I applaud Twigg for his eloquent prose and for sharing his feelings on this subject. I believe we should all know what our bikes and tires are capable of just in case we need to use all that capability some day. I just don't like exercising it all on a public road. Too many things can go wrong on a public road.
Thanks.

Everything on my bike is there for one of two reasons ... safety or comfort (and they might be the same thing).

It starts with the platform. Despite requiring a few mods to aid comfort, what surprised me about the FJR was just how easy it is to ride. Sure it hates parking lots, but I tend not to spend much time there, As soon as you hit the road it sheds weight like someone on a 100 calorie per day diet, who forgets to eat.

Granted I was coming from a behemoth, but nonetheless, this bike is child's play provided that child is careful with the gas.

Having now got the bike into a decent shape for me, the rest is down to how I ride. I try to have fun, but deer, cars, small children playing soccer in the street ... they all represent that which is beyond our control. So I control what I do, and that allows me to do it for longer and further.

So far, the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle are a few of those long Rally days. This is not for everyone. If I were a guy who took more pleasure from a 200 mile twisty blast, I'd set the bike up differently and it probably wouldn't be an FJR. Might be a Yam though :)

I used to think I might be judged if I rode too slow. Then I rode with Fairlaner and found I really couldn't, so I'd rather enjoy the ride and see another day. Something tells me I'd still have to hustle to keep up with Twigg, but if not, I'd wait for him at the next turn, and I'm sure he'd do the same. I mostly keep my idiot side bottled up, but if you see him come out sometime when you're riding with me, remind me I'm being an asshole and knock it the fuk off. I still have some things to live for.
Dude! You've changed!! Is it those winters in PA?

Thanks for posting Twigg.
When I got my first FJR back in late '06, I proceed to set it up for quick riding in the hills. Like you, I also got off a Venture Royale. Living here in the San Jose Bay Area, there are plenty of roads to find out just how proficient you are in pushing the bike to your limits. I got pretty comfortable riding these roads, but this bike was also my commuter. Through the years, I had a chance to mellow a bit. I've grown to appreciate the touring part of the machine, to be able to put in 4 and 5 gas stop days, and still want to get back on the following morning. Most of my distance weekends are between Milpitas and Vista to see my 91 year old father, a rider from way back, who suffered a nasty stroke some 10 years ago.

Last fall I made the run out to Sparks Nevada and enjoyed a couple of days riding with some FJRForum friends. Of the two days riding in that neighborhood, I must say I enjoyed riding out to Gerlach with my good friend Don Carver. It was the first time we rode together since a PGR mission in Pacifica, late summer in '06. The Gerlach ride was quite memorable to me in that the two of us just clicked. We weren't pushing the bikes, we were just out sightseeing and enjoying the countryside, and each other's company. I may be mellowing out, some might say I'm getting older ( I'M STILL 39, dammit ! ), but I'm finding that the road isn't going anywhere, so why hurry? The next day, when I joined a group pushing their way through the hills about Lake Tahoe, I just wasn't in it. I ended up being Tail End Charlie, but that's OK. These OLD guys may have pushed hard, but took long rest breaks.

I enjoyed your post, it's nice to hear someone else wax eloquent on riding their own ride, and enjoying it year after year.

Ride happy my friend.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif
Welcome to the CBA, Sir Brodie.. It's a different pace, a new look, a back track in time when, if, you want, you stop, look, listen, feel, absorb the moment that surrounds you. It truly is a weird wonderful world when one takes time to notice.