Chicken Strips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't you just have a friend hold the bike level and measure the footpeg feeler height off the ground and that point's (the spot on the ground you measured peg height from) distance from the center of the bike and calculate the soft-touch angle, then do the same for the brake lever and center stand for the hard-tough angle?
Nope, that does not account for dynamic loads and road contours, among other things.

I can't resist whipping out my big 10" stopwatch (old eyes need big cock hands)
Fixed that for you, bro......

:lol:

It is Friday, we should be dog-piling n00bs (which has been somewhat tame today; pick it up, people!). But I'll go ahead an add my dos centavos to Huck's unscientific study....

I am happy to see street riders with next to no chicken strips, because now I know yet another ass-tard to stay away from.

Street riders who routinely take their tires to the very edge are either immature, undisciplined, or unprofessional. It's just a matter of time. One day, sooner or later, at some point.... they'll round a blind decreasing radius turn with zero reserve left on the tire before seeing that stalled vehicle/deer/road hazard/etc. They can't stand the bike up or they'll hit the object. They can't push to dive inside, or they will lowside. Essentially, they are fucked.

As previously mentioned, there are some unbelievably fast street riders out there with sizable chicken stripes. They know how to get their ass off the seat and utilize proper body positioning through a turn, which allows more power to be applied to the meat of the tire, allowing them to drive out of corners with authority.

Now, back to the DOG-PILING, please..... now which one of you clueless nOObs thinks 10-10ths street riding is acceptable?

NBC_smith-larry_dogpile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred W's avatar would kick ass on TWN's wimpy pooch any day of the week.

(my contribution to make this thread relevant!)

You are welcome, that is all.

For now. :glare:

Can't you just have a friend hold the bike level and measure the footpeg feeler height off the ground and that point's (the spot on the ground you measured peg height from) distance from the center of the bike and calculate the soft-touch angle, then do the same for the brake lever and center stand for the hard-tough angle?
Nope, that does not account for dynamic loads and road contours, among other things.
Ya think? Obviously road contours is a moot point since the contours go both ways, so you have to consider an average road, but the suspension loading is significant and will alter the dimensions greatly. Not that I know anything about lean angles since I only ride at 10 mph or less.

So here's one to get ya' thinking out there (not you specifically TWN). How is it that I can ride around a corner at X speed on my lil' Aprilia with the 90% road tires on it with minimal lean angle (Hell, it's almost unlimited anyway on that thing) but the same corner has the ole' Feejer well heeled over?

Oh, and when measuring chicken strips, the Aprilia is a real ego booster since there are none. 0% chicken strips. Those 90/10 tires (Bridgestones) don't have much tread up the sides so you *always* use it all. :yahoo:

Obviously road contours is a moot point since the contours go both ways, so you have to consider an average road, but the suspension loading is significant and will alter the dimensions greatly.
So here's one to get ya' thinking out there (not you specifically TWN). How is it that I can ride around a corner at X speed on my lil' Aprilia with the 90% road tires on it with minimal lean angle (Hell, it's almost unlimited anyway on that thing) but the same corner has the ole' Feejer well heeled over?
Gee, do you think it might have anything to do with the weight of the particular motorcycle as compared to the spring rates and suspension settings....er....uhm....and the ability of said rider to actually understand and compute the information and apply his (or her) ability (including knowledge of the road and surface).

Sheesh......thar jist hain't noe eezy anser. Yuh jist gots tuh goe out en try et fer yerseff. Ah-just yer suspenders en yer shoks en forks en see whut leen over angels werk fer yew. Et's reely purdy sympol, win yer footypegs start tew scrapin', yewer dun leant over fur 'nuff. Taik er bak tuh the house en sine up fer a class on cornerin' er turn et down a few notches soes yew kin ryde agin tomorraw (Kudos to W.C. for pointing out the street is no race track and it is particular and specifically unforgiving).

Obviously road contours is a moot point since the contours go both ways, so you have to consider an average road, but the suspension loading is significant and will alter the dimensions greatly.
Gee, do you think it might have anything to do with the weight of the particular motorcycle as compared to the spring rates and suspension settings....er....uhm....and the ability of said rider to actually understand and compute the information and apply his (or her) ability (including knowledge of the road and surface).

Sheesh......thar jist hain't noe eezy anser. Yuh jist gots tuh goe out en try et fer yerseff. Ah-just yer suspenders en yer shoks en forks en see whut leen over angels werk fer yew. Et's reely purdy sympol, win yer footypegs start tew scrapin', yewer dun leant over fur 'nuff. Taik er bak tuh the house en sine up fer a class on cornerin' er turn et down a few notches soes yew kin ryde agin tomorraw (Kudos to W.C. for pointing out the street is no race track and it is particular and specifically unforgiving).

I can't read that whole second paragraph, cause I'm a northerner. But the first one is wrong. Bzzzzzt. No, it isn't because of the weight. Why would weight effect the geometry of turning.

Thanks for playing. Try again.

Wheel base, rake, trail... That kinda shit.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Those wheels are so close together it turns *before* you think about it. And the front end rake is so steep it is almost in a constant turn. Stability? Nah... fahgetaboddit. But... it turns like crazy. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

<snip>.....ride around a corner at X speed on my lil' Aprilia .....with minimal lean angle ...... but the same corner has the ole' Feejer well heeled over?
Wheelbase is a key player -- a classic case I've seen is: Two bikes a Concours 10 and a 250 Ninja riding together on winding road -- the 250 Ninja leans about half as far, for any given corner, as the Concours.

<snip>.....ride around a corner at X speed on my lil' Aprilia .....with minimal lean angle ...... but the same corner has the ole' Feejer well heeled over?
Wheelbase is a key player -- a classic case I've seen is: Two bikes a Concours 10 and a 250 Ninja riding together on winding road -- the 250 Ninja leans about half as far, for any given corner, than the Concours.
I dragged my pegs so often on my 2 fiddy I had to shorten the pegs an inch. Then I hit a tree. :blink: :dribble: :blink: :dribble:

I can't resist whipping out my big 10" stopwatch (old eyes need big cock hands)
Fixed that for you, bro......

:lol:
GUNNY!

I am happy to see street riders with next to no chicken strips, because now I know yet another ass-tard to stay away from.
Street riders who routinely take their tires to the very edge are either immature, undisciplined, or unprofessional. It's just a matter of time. One day, sooner or later, at some point.... they'll round a blind decreasing radius turn with zero reserve left on the tire before seeing that stalled vehicle/deer/road hazard/etc. They can't stand the bike up or they'll hit the object. They can't push to dive inside, or they will lowside. Essentially, they are fucked.

As previously mentioned, there are some unbelievably fast street riders out there with sizable chicken stripes. They know how to get their ass off the seat and utilize proper body positioning through a turn, which allows more power to be applied to the meat of the tire, allowing them to drive out of corners with authority.
A-men Bro!

Ok i laughed my ass off through the whole thread. but time to straighten out! MM2 is right in the sense that there are a huge number of variables. if you dont believe me try being an engineer for a race team. setting up suspension and tread characteristics for a particular tire manufacturer at a specific pressure fo a particular rider on a particular track on a particular day is a full time job! ALL of this shit (i mean all of it) will determine, for a typical rider, how much of the tread contacts the road. Add to that how fat you are and what your carrying and how big your ballz are (today) and you've got a complex mathmatical mess.

that said send me the numbers and I am sure can can tell you who the biggest pussy on the site is :)

Given the amount of saddle time in all kinds of road conditions and the training they get I'm curious what our California CHP's have. Any out there with a comment?

OK, all of this is well and good, and I think we can all agree that there are as many answers as there are riders and styles of riding x curve radii x suspension settings, etc.

It's easy enough to calculate a lean angle with a little known data, but I've never tried it based on the info the tires provide. I could certainly apply the "soft" method, but as has been pointed out, that's a very incomplete picture.

Could I start with that, factor in a series of speeds and curve radii, apply a 50th percentile male as rider on as-delivered suspension settings and come up with a lean angle? I don't know. I'm somewhat sure I could get close. I guess I'll plug in my own numbers and try that.

Have to travel some next week, but should be able to play with it some after that.

Thanks for the tip on the thread title. Will try that next time.

It stopped raining so I went outside work to measure.
Front 10mm

Rear 10mm

Do I win some kind of award?
MetricMeters?

Google Maps has you 142 mi (miles) from cannukdom

Speak American dammit

You've got between 3/8" and .400" chicken strips front and rear
Wass hast Du gesagt? Ich versteh Dich nicht.

Oh sorry, you wanted me to speak American.

Blame the OP for the metric numbers, because he set the precedent. I know that many are numerically challenged, so to avoid constant conversions I posted using the same units (it does make it easier to make comparisons). Speaking of numerically challenged, you're really trying to confuse people by mixing fractional and decimal units. 10mm is actually 0.394 inches (rounded to the nearest 1000th).

...speaking of relevant data gathering and numerically challanged,

did ya know that if you added up all the men and women in North America and divided by two, the avg. person would then be statistically proven to have one breast and one testicle!?

...now mount that on yer rims and lay it over!

oops....., am I off topic? :unsure:

just some comic relif......Roamer

Blame the OP for the metric numbers, because he set the precedent. I know that many are numerically challenged, so to avoid constant conversions I posted using the same units (it does make it easier to make comparisons). Speaking of numerically challenged, you're really trying to confuse people by mixing fractional and decimal units. 10mm is actually 0.394 inches (rounded to the nearest 1000th).
I don't know why your post struck me funny. Sometimes my mind resembles someone with Tourette's who develops Alzheimer's. Something about the way you went out from work to measure the chicken strips and came back in with "10mm". Most people couldn't find a metric scale (ruler) if their life depended on it.

Then I looked at where you were from and I thought, "damn metric speaking French Canadians... always pushing that system on everyone else." (If that didn't sound funny, try reading it again in a mumbling Homer Simpson voice)