Cleaning throttle bodies -- worth the time?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole issue of having oil mist, or vapor, in the crankcase ventilation system is not limited to just FJR engines. If you do some googling you'll see it is something that many automotive engines have had to deal with also. I found one such example in the 99-00 Ford Mustangs w/ 3.8L engines. One "fix" was to add a fuel filter in the PCV line.

pcv_filter.jpg

Ideally, any oil that is separated would drain back into the crankcase by gravity.

Oil / air separators tend to be pretty big.

pcv_filter_3.jpg

Not only do oil/air separators tend to be pretty big, there must be some provision for draining the oil out of it periodically. How much oil and how often? I have no idea but if it is significant enough to be worth going through that kind of effort... It might be interesting to see just how much oil would get caught over a set number of miles.

Hmm, meebee surreptitiously add a length of hose and vent down under like in the good old days EPA wouldn't mind would they? How much blowby could there be?

RadioHowie, maybe you overfilled your oil sometime along the way?

With the oil level too high the oil may have been agitated into a bubbly froth with some of those overexcited fumes and vapors migrating from the engine to the air box and then on to the throttle bodies.

Too much oil isn't a good thing.

Funny thing, my airbox was clean and dry. Not a spec of "wet" oil anywhere inside when I last pulled it out.

And believe me, as cheap as I am, I've never "over-filled" anything! :D