Clear Lake via Lake Berryessa (SF Bay Area)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I did this ride last week. First overnighter in quite a while (thanx, covid-19 :(). Eerily quiet in many places (well, it is the off season) and, sadly, lots of wildfire damage evident. But still worth considering.

https://pursuit.olbert.com/2020/12/clear-lake-via-lake-berryessa/
Berryessa-Panorama-1-scaled-1.jpg

I remember camping there in the 80s. Use to drive up from my house in Fremont.

I been looking to come down to CA from WA to do some riding. Your riding season starts earlier than ours.

Any suggestions on rides?

I had a picnic lunch at that spot this past Sunday. We locals call that road the Berryessa GP. 

Depending on where you enter Ca. some great roads. 

Ca 96

Ca 3

Ca 299

Ca 36-one of the best in the state. 140 mi. of twisties. Check before you ride it as construction closes portions on the west end. 

Ca 128

Avenue of the Giants parallels 101 

If you want to get real adventurous, I can put you on some real challenging roads. 

Any suggestions on rides?
dravnx's suggestions are really good (haven't ridden them yet but they're on my list to do as soon as the weather stabilizes and the hotels re-open -- they're multi-day trips for me, starting from the Bay Area).

Other ones to consider are further south and east. I really liked doing the loop through Sonora Pass and Tioga Pass. Those often aren't open until May or June or even July, depending on how snowy the winter is.

Another fun ride is CA 49 down through the old gold mining country. I really liked going through the Merced River valley on 49.