• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my two sets of Kristas yesterday. I think they are heavier than they advertise, but I haven't put them on a scale to confirm it.

The install looks like it will be pretty straight forward, and I hope to have them on in the next few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed mine today. Haven't used them in the dark yet, but I blinded myself for a few seconds!

Not 100% sure as I did not wire mine to the horns. If you still need help, contact Clearwater or RocketMoto on the ADVrider forum and they'll get you set up. Be sure to post some pictures when you're done. I'm really curious to see how the 2 sets look.

Got my Krista's the other day. Impressive. I'd be interested in where some you folks plan to mount the switch. Photos if you've already installed?

Got my Krista's the other day. Impressive. I'd be interested in where some you folks plan to mount the switch. Photos if you've already installed?
I originally had my switch on panel C (right front--Gen I). No good. Gave me another wire in the way when I removed the panel, plus I had to be extra careful not to pull on the wires to the switch when the panel was off. Couldn't get it out of the way, either. It was also hard to reach the switch while riding. Didn't think I'd want to adjust it much, but I found I did.

Now it's on (bottom side) the left handlebar, just in from the switches by the grip. Much more convenient there. It's just on there with clipped-off zip ties. Perfect. Sorry, no pics.

Edit: I'm talking about the rotary brightness control knob, of course. Assumed you were too, but realized you could have another switch in mind, like a separate off/on control. And Trigger, when you take those panels off, you don't want them hanging in the way by a wire, do you?

I will more than likely be putting the switch in the knock out panel that is used for heated grips. I will then put the dimmer dials in the location they show on their website, which is in the painted panel just aft of where the switch will be. I will also be putting the dials for my heated gear in this same area. It is going to look like a panel in the dash of a Cessna when it is done.

I understand this group buy was recent, but I am wondering if there is enough interest to arrange

another. I missed out on the group buy and contacted Clearwater yesterday. I was told they would

give me a 10% discount, but I can wait till spring if need be, and arrange a group buy for the spring.

So I am wondering did anyone out there fence sit too long? Is there interest in a group buy?

If you are interested- post it and which product you would be ordering. See post #1.

Thanks- either way- I'll be sporting a set of them by June!

Some members have contacted me about buying Clearwaters after the group buy was over. PM sent with their contact info.

I would be interested in another group buy. Looking for the Krista's.

Anyone know which wire I need to tap into so the horn activation will work? I have tried both wires that tie into the horn on the clutch side of the bike, and in both cases having that wire connected will cause the lights to be on full and stay that way regardless of if the horn button is pressed, or anything else short of turning of the power switch.

Thanks.

Anyone know which wire I need to tap into so the horn activation will work? I have tried both wires that tie into the horn on the clutch side of the bike, and in both cases having that wire connected will cause the lights to be on full and stay that way regardless of if the horn button is pressed, or anything else short of turning of the power switch.

Thanks.
I'm finding this confusing.

According to the drawings from Clearwater that I have seen you need to have the red lead tied into the low beam feed and the white lead tied into the high beam feed for the Clearwater lights to dim when the low beams are selected.

I think you will find that the horn button is switching the ground connection from the horns. In the horn button's normally open state the lead between the horns & horn button will float at approx +12VDC. When the horn button is pressed, the contacts close and the voltage will drop to 0 VDC. This may explain the problem you are having or I may have completely misunderstood your question.

I have attached a link to the Clearwater Installation Manual...

Clearwater Lights Manual

just an update: re - Clearwater mirror mounts

I was early in the Clearwater Krista game

I was fortunate to be able to purchase used Top Gun mounts and was running them with a pair of Kristas

No issues, but the lights did have some movement at speed, especially on rain grooved super slabs at my usual cruising speed of 79mph

I might experience a harmonic at a certain speed with the lights moving around some up and down and the mirrors not nearly rock steady

Well, Glenn sent me a set of his beefier and beautifully powder coated mounts to replace my Top Guns

Mirrors Rock Steady 99% of the time - lights might vibrate a little at times, but very very good product

Well, i will be putting the Clearwater brackets to the test with my dual mounted Kristas. I am glad to hear they have been better than the Top Gun's for you, since the Top Gun's worked really well for me in the past, so an improvement over them is really something.