clunking noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't STP nothing but friction modifiers??!??! I wouldn't use it in the bike!

(I should point out that I really have no clue what's in STP, and that I've never used it in any engine I've ever had.)

As for the original question, yes, FJRs clunk neutral to first. You should be on a group ride somethime pulling out from the light. Seismometers worldwide know when the light changed.

And as Skooter said, do not pussy-foot with the shifter. Firm and quick. It's not a car box with synchronizers that you have to wait for, and there's absolutely no reason to be gentle with the left foot. Whack it in there! It's better for the box. Really.

Last edited by a moderator:
HMX-STP_8033_resized.jpg

Here's a clearer image.

STP.jpg

I remember the days of filling engines up with the stuff to quiet them down and decrease the smoke emissions long enough to find a sucker sell the car. It came in a dangerous pop top can back them too. One of the simple joys of the good old days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on, thanks guys. I think I'll stick with changing the fluid and then just beat it to death. I'll wear a size 12 on my left foot just to make sure there will be enough leverage to get her into first as quick as I can.

CLUNK! Yup, we're ready to go.

I personally like the Yamaha audio indicator for 1st gear. Beats some silly gear indicator in the dash somewhere. I can count.

Also no more sitting at the green light wondering why the tach needle is twitchin' up in the red zone. KLUNK! Got it.

All the other gears are sweet, esp. when your twistin' it.

Dale