Clunking sound when I first start 2007 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcpd807

Reaction score
I have had my 2007 FJR for about two weeks now. When I initially start it up, it will make a clunking sound only a few times until it is warm. If I stop while riding and restart the bike, it will not do this.

Today when I started it up, the temperature in my garage was probably 75 degrees. The oil was changed last week.

Anyone else hear this slight clunking sound when the first start their bike to let it warm up to two bars?

I have had my 2007 FJR for about two weeks now. When I initially start it up, it will make a clunking sound only a few times until it is warm. If I stop while riding and restart the bike, it will not do this.
Today when I started it up, the temperature in my garage was probably 75 degrees. The oil was changed last week.

Anyone else hear this slight clunking sound when the first start their bike to let it warm up to two bars?
I have read that that is normal and has something to do with the fuel injectors. Maybe someone else will explain it more exactly.

I have read that that is normal and has something to do with the fuel injectors. Maybe someone else will explain it more exactly.

Do not worry abt it..........normal................

I had the same thing when I first got the bike whenever I was starting up from cold. I tried holding in the clutch until I got to 2 bars and that worked. After the first 1,000 miles the bike was completely broken in and I;ve never heard that clunking noise since.

Ok, this makes me feel better that my FJR is not the only one that makes this noise.

Thanks

From prior discussions it appears that this phenomenon (cold start clunking) is unique to the 2nd gens. Some clunker owners have reported that the clunks go away if you hold the throttle open a little to raise rpm. It seems that the 2nd gen throttle bodies have the fast idle speed set lower than on 1st gens. This was likely done to accommodate the AE on the 2nd gen platform. Having the fast idle too high on an AE might result in premature launches. :eek:

Here's some info on the fast idle mechanism: click