Clunking Trans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw the old phucks Huck.. I'm a mid-life FJR forum guy, and haven't yet hit the 'oh fuck it's been discussed before, I've already read it, why don't you use the feeble search, you idiot' stage.

..I think your post was well thought out, articulated, and helpful for a whole bunch of new fjrforum.com folks.

You old impatient guyz need Valium, helium, Vodkadin, a good ride or something. :rolleyes:
Gunny. Thanks for writing that Huck; great info for newbies and mechanically inclined folks as well. If we couldn't duplicate a subject discussed in the last 5 years, there would be NO new threads.

As far as the clunking, I honestly didn't expect a Yamaha (my first) to be this 'bad', but I'm also used to it thanks to my departed BMW K1200RS. My previous Suzukis have always shifted like butter, and super quiet as well. However, ALL my Hondas (and I've had several) have always been relatively clunky as well, especially the 1-2 shift, but not like the FJR, which is at BMW levels IMO. Since I always use ear plugs, it doesn't bother me. But yes, there's always a compromise for everything, and seems like Yamaha went a bit overboard with the spacing. Bottom line is I rather have a bit more clunking than normal than missed shifts. By the way, the 1-2 shift is much better (shorter throw, hence more reliable) than all Hondas I've had, as well as the BMW. And no change in clunking or feel with fully synthetic oil. I have no problems with my tranny; it's just an idiosyncrasy IMO. Later.

JC
Nah, the FJRs don't make nearly the racket of a fine BMW gearbox. I guess you don't get the big noise until you pay the big bucks? That must be true. Look at the racket the Ducati dry clutches make. That's the sound of money... :rolleyes:

There's a little bit of preload in the shifter that your foot moves through, then hits the actual resistance of the mechanics of the bike shifting. Rather than just swiftly moving through the motion with your foot, feel through where the slack is coming up to the shift point, THEN make the decisive shift. Eventually with practice you'll turn it into a VFR-like snick. (Got my practice in BMW gearboxes, unfortunately.)

Ahhhh, thanks! I'll try that on the way home tonight.

TWN, are you kidding? Have you never heard of / practiced this?!? How long have you been riding? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt unless you give me reason otherwise.

For me, the topic is basically irrelevant. The shifter on the AE isn't mechanical. Its just another switch for your foot.

TWN, are you kidding? Have you never heard of / practiced this?!? How long have you been riding? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt unless you give me reason otherwise.
Mmmmkay, I'll humor you...

Correct. I've never heard of this. Of course, this is the only Yamaha I've ever owned. My other bikes have been various Honda's, an H-D and my wonderful little Wabs, but those all had/have slick shifting, snik-snik trannies. So, prior to this machine, I had no need to know of the practice.

For me, the topic is basically irrelevant.
Fine, then STFU. :p By the way, has the SO agreed to loan you your balls back long enough for the meet Saturday? My lunch offer still stands.

I'm waiting for Friday.
Oh, you have no idea... ;)

This will probably get a lot of mad mail but if you want your fjr to shift better try AMS/OIL 10/40 full synthetic oil. I have used this oil in over 25 bikes of my own and hundreds of customer bikes. The universal comment from all was the smoother shifting of their bike. In the case of my 1975 gold wing it was amazing. In the case of my 2005 fjr it is amazing. And here is why, Less drag in the clutch pack, smoother movement in the transmission gears and this translates into a better shifting bike. My telephone number is 707-279-2965 I have been using synthetics for over 35 years.

Huck:

I, being new really appreciate the post. I think that the search on the forum is horrible and rarely find what I'm looking for when using it. But reguardless, this is an issue that I've noticed with my AE. I never really thought it was a problem, but did think it was an annoying "FEATURE"

That being said, Your comments about preload and feeling out the foot shift for the slack are just wrong. The foot shift on the AE is just another electroninc switch, just like the handle bar paddles. There is nothing tactile about it. Are you sure your talking about an AE here? :unsure:

Thanks for the support.
I guess since 2002, I've been riding and loving it. I remember my first real ride on an FJR.

I'll remember my first ride on the bottom of the dogpile. You've been riding for all of, this possibly being, six years? Is the FJR your first, second, or third bike? Irrelevant. Hmm, well, good luck in your pile endeavors.

Screw the old phucks Huck..
I'm a mid-life FJR forum guy, and haven't yet hit the 'oh fuck it's been discussed before, I've already read it, why don't you use the feeble search, you idiot' stage.

..I think your post was well thought out, articulated, and helpful for a whole bunch of new fjrforum.com folks.

You old impatient guyz need Valium, helium, Vodkadin, a good ride or something. :rolleyes:

+10,000! B)

Some of the things we choose to debate... Am I the only one aroung here getting laid regularly? Sheesh.

TWN, my nuts are oficially tied up. I'm open Sunday, but wings clipped for Saturday.

As far as shifting quality goes, whatever. If you claim that no other bike, has benefitted from this method, then I'm calling bull$hit. Of couse, some are inherantly smoother than others, but to imply that this is the "first" to need this type of attention reflects on you lack of MC riding experience in terms of brands / models.

Burner, I was responding the "where have you been since 2002" wisecrack that some idjit put out there. I started riding street in about '93. Not that far back, but lots of miles on lots of bikes since then. I'll put my personal ownership history on my signature line soon, just to satisfy the curious, and probably add fuel to the dim witted that will find obvious opportunity to use the info for more inane and sophomoric "dog piling"

Thanks, Rondo, and I think you may have misinterpreted me. I commented, same as you, that the AE's shifter was just a switch. My comment about TWN not being familiar with the method of shifting described was directed at those that are still riding the older technology bikes.

Racer, I was about to try that stuff a while back when I had a chance to see the inside of a GL1500 that had been using it for some time. He had a busted shift fork, which was not related to the oil, I'm sure, but whan that motor came apart, there was all kinds of dark sludgy stuff inside. I deciede not to use it, and after that, so did the customer. I have had good luck with Golden Spectro or Honda's HP4.

Scab, I wish I could defend that one...

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip> ...need...

<snip>
That's your opinion, which is nothing more than your "belief or judgment that falls short of absolute conviction, certainty, or positive knowledge", as it is mine never having need for the technique.

Edit:

As far as shifting quality goes, whatever. If you claim that no other bike, has benefitted from this method, then I'm calling bull$hit. Of couse, some are inherantly smoother than others, but to imply that this is the "first" to need this type of attention reflects on you lack of MC riding experience in terms of brands / models.
You should read things a bit more closely...

I did not claim that no other bike has benefited from this technique. Further, I did not say that this is the first to need this type of attention. I said that prior to this machine I did not need to know this and yes, this box is indeed clunkier than my previous bikes and certainly this technique is not required here either.

Yeah, really... whatever. :rolleyes:

Kind of missed that first quote. What was you rintended content?
Jebus... That was the 'rintended' content.

-30-
You're just a plain old dik. An intolerant, narrow minded fukc of a guy that thinks his $hit don't stink. I'll have to go reading through your posts to see if you've ever contributed anything legit. All I've seen so far with your soft spined, piss ant avatar attached are ass kissings and self congratulations.

You probably came up with that infantile symbol for me wile pleasuring yourself squatting over a mirror. You remind me of that Pink Floyd song...

"When we grew up and went to school there were certain teachers who would hurt the children any way the could

By pouring their derision over everything we did, exposing every weakness however carefully hidden by the kid

But in the town it was well known when they got home at night their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their life"

That's you. All tough and hard ass on the outside, but a soft pile of crap inside.

b. You have to remove the pre-load from the shifter with your toe before making the actual shift. Smoooooooooooth.
Er, huh? :huh: Are you saying pre-load it then toe off? I'm not sure I understand. 'Splain more, pleese...

There's a little bit of preload in the shifter that your foot moves through, then hits the actual resistance of the mechanics of the bike shifting. Rather than just swiftly moving through the motion with your foot, feel through where the slack is coming up to the shift point, THEN make the decisive shift. Eventually with practice you'll turn it into a VFR-like snick. (Got my practice in BMW gearboxes, unfortunately.)
So, lift up a little slowly on the shifter until you get to the "hardcore tranny pieces moving around" point and then click it into place?

So, lift up a little slowly on the shifter until you get to the "hardcore tranny pieces moving around" point and then click it into place?

Correctamundo. While off the bike feel the freeplay in the shifter itself with your hand. There's quite a bit of movement before the actual shift takes place, right. Now, remove that freeplay with your foot as you are just about ready to shift. It is another thing where practice makes perfect, you don't have to do it all the time, blah blah blah...but once you get it down. Mmmmmm....VFRish :dribble:

And don't forget to bleed fresh fluid into the hydraulic clutch too.