Clutch Cable replacement 2nd Gen????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is really a hard pull and it won't take lubrication through the entire cable.
Okay, Murf, ShinyPartsUp has answered your question.

One way to reduce clutch/brake pull is to replace the levers. Aftermarket levers (Pazzo and others) change the angle at which your hand engages and thus reduce the hand-strength need. Many riders with the beginnings of Arthritis have traveled this road.

Bike has 60k miles and I am looking to do major miles this year and don't want problems. Also is this a YES warranty issue? ps also does anyone know how much it will cost to replace and big or small job? Thanks
It's not going to be covered under YES.

I bought my Pazzo levers from bike effects.

I believe, if you'll check in the vendors area, he has a "pinned" thread and gives instructions on how to obtain an FJRforum discount.

Hang in there RockMurf - don't let these old know it all farts get to you..

Do you have a factory service manual yet? If not, get one, then start reading.

Good luck, take your time, it's not rocket science, but you do have to pay attention.

...and, if you've really not ever played 'wrench' before, I echo the previous posters, find a bud, watch him, or have him instruct you. A mistake on a missile like the FJR can be deadly.

And since we're on this topic.......

Since sometime ago, I realized I can't start my FJR (02) with gears in and clutch lever pulled (sidestand got to be up of course). The motor doesn't crank.

I know and I'm sure it can be started in this config and I used to do that a lot.

I'm thinking the clutch plates ain't fully disengaging cuz you can't start the bike in-gear with levers extended.

Whats the prob?

PS: I know our clutch works on hydraulics, I've bled them once... :p

You guys are cold. I made the mistake of assuming it was a cable because it looks like the brake cable on the other lever. Please don't tell me that is not a cable either. So do I gather that the plan would be to replace the "hose" and flush the resovoir(wherever that might be)? For those of you that need to take a shot at my expense you missed your opportunity, now only good faith honest responses needed. Thanks to one all of my fjr brothers and sisters.
seriously, I wouldn't take offense to any of the digs. It's all supposed to be in good fun. I've had a strip torn out of me more than once out here. And I still come back for more.

You know the old saying: "If you can't take a joke..... I'm sorry" :p

Since sometime ago, I realized I can't start my FJR (02) with gears in and clutch lever pulled (sidestand got to be up of course). The motor doesn't crank.

I know and I'm sure it can be started in this config and I used to do that a lot.

I'm thinking the clutch plates ain't fully disengaging cuz you can't start the bike in-gear with levers extended.

Whats the prob?

There's a switch in the clutch lever to prevent starting in gear. If clutched, should start; if not, won't start. That switch or connections to it are no good.

Sticking plates will not jam the starter. If they did, you'd still hear the starter relay (under the upper right fairing) clicking when you hit the button. No click, no starter. Clutch switch bad will prevent starting in gear.

Whats the prob?

There's a switch in the clutch lever to prevent starting in gear. If clutched, should start; if not, won't start. That switch or connections to it are no good.

Sticking plates will not jam the starter. If they did, you'd still hear the starter relay (under the upper right fairing) clicking when you hit the button. No click, no starter. Clutch switch bad will prevent starting in gear.
Very true. The starter motor puts out enough torque to launch the bike forward if it was in gear, the clutch plates were stuck, and all the safety interlocks weren't working. The problem has to be the clutch interlock or the sidestand switch.

Thanks guys, I do have a service manual and will look through it but I will have someone else check it out. Thanks again for the info and the laughs.

Yet the question remains,... how/where did you get lube into part of the cable?

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

Whats the prob?

Your problem is the clutch switch. When the switch gets crudded up it doesn't allow you to start the bike in gear. You can take it apart (carefully) and clean the contacts and then reassemble with some dielectric grease to help increase the time between services.