Cold weather riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip

Reaction score
This morning it was a brisk 20deg, I have been riding without overpants when it was in the 30's and since I hadnt decided which over pants to buy, I went and found my ski bib. It actually worked great!! Just figured it might be an alternative for some of you as well!!

I actually carry and wear Klim Snowmobile bibs and jacket year-round as part of a layered system. I've worn my bibs as cold as 11 degrees for 100+ miles and in the warm rain of a leftover hurricane....and even riding through Wichita, Kansas at dusk in August. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear riding overpants by FirstGear. They are waterproof, have removable liner, knee and hip pads, and zip all the way up both legs for easy donning over your jeans. I've worn them on the highway averaging 75 mph when temps were in the low 20's. I started to feel a chill after about an hour but the warmth factor is subjective. If I wear long underwear underneath, I don't get cold. Last winter I went on a 200 mile ride and the temp never got above 28. The pants kept me nice and warm.

I just turn up the heat for my jacket and gloves. But before having them...

First Gear overpants and jacket did OK. If really cold or on a longer ride, I'd put the old rain suit over the top and the difference was remarkable. Same with simply pulling a breadbag over your gloves.

Bob

Yep, been wearing them for 4-5 years with a pair of sweat pants underneath. Keeps me toasty down into the 30's. Only bad thing is that there is no armor in them. Don't crash.

I use the First Gear pants worn over Basketball shorts. The Basketball shorts seem to make a huge difference on long rides.