Colletts new BT headset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it come with a case of jim beam?
If you look at all it can do, and compare it to others out there it's not that expensive. By the time you buy other sets, 2 way radios, adapters, cables, etc. etc. you can spend that much or more.

It also has 30 day money back guaranty & 3 year warranty.

If you want to go the wired route then the Starcom is hard to beat, but if you want to go BT then the Collett is hard to beat.

My .02 worth A.C.

I think 500 dollars for a device that does not even exsist yet is perhaps more than a leap of faith.

Not saying the thing won't work, but what if it doesn't?

I have yet to hear a bluetooth device that offers the same frequency responce and

low distortion (in stereo..) that a good set of wired earphones do.

I also know many BT connections get "dropped" for now appearent reason , where direct wire does not have this problem..(except for accidental 'unplugging')

I think I wil wait and let all of you do the beta testing on this first....

KM

I think 500 dollars for a device that does not even exsist yet is perhaps more than a leap of faith.
Not saying the thing won't work, but what if it doesn't?

I have yet to hear a bluetooth device that offers the same frequency responce and

low distortion (in stereo..) that a good set of wired earphones do.

I also know many BT connections get "dropped" for now appearent reason , where direct wire does not have this problem..(except for accidental 'unplugging')

I think I wil wait and let all of you do the beta testing on this first....

KM
I totally understand your concerns. And BT may not be for everyone.

Although with a 30 day money back guaranty, how can you lose ? Unless you don't try it before 30 days is up.

I'm curios what do you have & what did it cost ?

A.C.

Well, I'm in no rush, but still like to hear some feedback on the unit first.

I have been using the Scala Rider Teamset, paired with my Zumo. For music, I ran a wire to a plug in by my seat to use my ER6i stereo earphones.

Problem there is a loud as I like the music, the intercom was a bit usesless, so I only listened to music solo.

In another post I mentioned that the Teamset intercom crapped out. I really want something that lets me enjoy all the benifits the Zumo offers (Ihave MP3's and XM on it, and it controlls my phone via bluetooth) and I want a good CLEAR passenger intercom that also allows the passenger to listen to the radio .... or talk.

I have so far been considering the Baehr Active, or this other unit from them:

https://tinyurl.com/2v3rk4

Which I have been told I can add special cable that attaches to the Zumo allowing me to still use the phone through the Zumo interface, sonething I don't want to lose...( and was given a price of 500 bucks for this unit BTW)

I don't need a bike to bike radio, nor do I have any plans to add anything else to my system.

I had asked somewhere else, but does any one have a Baehr unit ?

KM

Well, I'm in no rush, but still like to hear some feedback on the unit first.
I have been using the Scala Rider Teamset, paired with my Zumo. For music, I ran a wire to a plug in by my seat to use my ER6i stereo earphones.

Problem there is a loud as I like the music, the intercom was a bit usesless, so I only listened to music solo.

In another post I mentioned that the Teamset intercom crapped out. I really want something that lets me enjoy all the benifits the Zumo offers (Ihave MP3's and XM on it, and it controlls my phone via bluetooth) and I want a good CLEAR passenger intercom that also allows the passenger to listen to the radio .... or talk.

I have so far been considering the Baehr Active, or this other unit from them:

Which I have been told I can add special cable that attaches to the Zumo allowing me to still use the phone through the Zumo interface, sonething I don't want to lose...( and was given a price of 500 bucks for this unit BTW)

I don't need a bike to bike radio, nor do I have any plans to add anything else to my system.

I had asked somewhere else, but does any one have a Baehr unit ?

KM
KM

Thanks for letting us know the Scala didn't really work for you & that it crapped out on you.

So how much did you pay for 2 headsets that didn't really work, then crapped out, & a set of earphones? (350.00 or 400.00 maybe)

Did Scala offer you your money back, or fix it free for 3 years ? (probably not) :(

How much for the Baehr + all the cables needed to do what you want ? (600.00 or 800.00 or 1000.00 or maybe more) :huh:

BTW did you know if you use a BT stereo headset with a BT stereo adapter (dongle) plugged into the Zumo, you can listen to phone,nav promps,MP3,XM, in stereo thru headset without wires.Here's a post clicky that explains it.

One of the Colletts is looking better & better. :D

Thanks again for clearing this up for me.

A.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we paid 178.00 for the Scala Teamset...it comes with both the passenger and rider headsets, there is nothing else to buy.

The price I was given on the Baehr unit I linked to was 558.00 , and that includes everything.....

Finding a set of stereo bluethooth headphones,(with microphone) and connecting stuff to a stereo bluetooth "transmitter" would work, but seems like I'd then have to find all the components that not only fit in the helmet, but sound better than my current earphones. ..and I'm just not sold right now on the dependability of bluetooth right now or do I like the idea that I have to "charge" the headsets for every 6-8 hours of use. Having something that is powered by the bike and automaticly turns on when I "plug in" sounds to be less of a hassle.

But yeah, get that Collet thing and report back to me...

KM

The only idea I have that might make a true difference in battery life for the BT helmet units, is to use a curved solar cell to supplement the battery charge. Stick it to the upper back portion of your helmet and extend battery life by 1/3 or better.

:)

Sounds tempting, but for that money I think I will go with the Baehr unit:

Although the MSRP is $699.00 , I was given a price of $499.00 for this unit. Add in the Zumo cable ($60.00) and that's all I need.

I still would want to here actual impressions of the either of these units.

KM

I think I'm going to get the Collett 900 Plus. The rider & pass set is 360.00 or 2 rider sets for 280.00 each.

With the 900 Plus set I'll have a wire between rider & pass (when I have a pass) and that's OK with me. I just don't think it's worth 240.00 to lose the wire between the two. It will still BT to my Zumo & we both hear it with one dongle. If I get the Microfone seeing as they are 2 separate BT headsets I would need 2 dongles.

The 900 Plus rider headset also has an audio input jack which the Microfone doesn't. I just don't Know if the 900 pass headset has one. If it does then GF can listen to her own music. Also if I don't like BT then I can just run a wire from Zumo to headset. I will never talk on phone while riding anyway.

Just my .02 : Art

I think I'm going to get the Collett 900 Plus. The rider & pass set is 360.00 or 2 rider sets for 280.00 each.
With the 900 Plus set I'll have a wire between rider & pass (when I have a pass) and that's OK with me. I just don't think it's worth 240.00 to lose the wire between the two. It will still BT to my Zumo & we both hear it with one dongle. If I get the Microfone seeing as they are 2 separate BT headsets I would need 2 dongles.

The 900 Plus rider headset also has an audio input jack which the Microfone doesn't. I just don't Know if the 900 pass headset has one. If it does then GF can listen to her own music. Also if I don't like BT then I can just run a wire from Zumo to headset. I will never talk on phone while riding anyway.

Just my .02 : Art
So, did you get this? How has it worked out?