Colonoscopy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
"Colonoscopy," said my doctor. "I want you to have a colonoscopy."

"Oh yeah? What's that?"

[Doctor's explanation.]
ohno-smiley02.gif

"No. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Nobody touches me there. Not Fang. Not even Beemerdons (much)."

Well, he made me do it, and let me tell you it was an experience. Now I'm stalking my doctor. I think I love him
wub.png
. I want another one soon.

Given the average age of the members of this forum (Puppychow, you may be excused), I know many (most) of you have done this. What did you think? If you have to do it, PM me, because I have some tips on how to get through it. The "it" being the prep, because yes, the prep is far worse than the procedure.

And BTW, I have the colon of a 24 year old athlete.
tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
BTDT four times. Got to do the prep a fifth time before the colon surgery. The prep is easier mixed with crystal lite and served ice cold.

Enjoy.:) :) :)

Been there done that. Heck of a procedure when the only commit from the Doc was "eat more fiber."

Should get it done, the docs found polyps when being diagnosed for Crohns, 42 yo at the time.

My last procedure was done in surgical theaters, a "high risk" patient.

I've had 3.... My wife ignored her doctor's advise to have one years ago.. I, like an idiot, did not educate myself and didn't insist she have one at age 50. She is now in end stage IV colorectal cancer. She just turned 67 and it was estimated she developed cancerous polyps 13-15 year ago.. If you have colon cancer in your family, have your first colonoscopy at age 40.. If no family history, age 50. Believe me, you DON'T want to get this disease, it is a long, painful, horrible way to die.

Do it, JB. It's something we all have to do. Don't worry, after a while, you'll get used to it. In no time at all, you'll start looking forward to it! :eek:

Piece of cake. The only part that is a challenge is the laxative and it's effects as you prep. Other than that it is a 10 or 15 minute procedure that you don't remember at all.

This reminds me of an actual event, slightly off topic but.........

The company I was working for at the time (early nineties) insisted that all men had a PSA test and Digital Rectal examination.

Ian, one of our senior Geophysicists was not particularly keen on having it done. However, he assumed the position - trousers down, lying on his side with his knees tucked up.

The examining Doctor was just snapping his glove on when Ian said "Doc, in both of our interests I think you should know that I had seven pints of Guinness last night followed by a very hot curry".

Without hesitation the Doc pulled off his glove and said 'no abnormalities detected, you can pull your trousers up"............

My Life Insurance Co. had me do the whole nine yards of Cancer detection a couple years back.

Colonoscopy was one of the tests, but really no big deal. You're kinda groggy, you can see the flat screens with your colon insides as they probe you. and then they up the dosage of knockout juice and the next thing you know you're in the recovery room and they are trying to make you fart (or you can't leave). No biggie really.

The prep part was a more to-do than anything else.

I've had 3.... My wife ignored her doctor's advise to have one years ago.. I, like an idiot, did not educate myself and didn't insist she have one at age 50. She is now in end stage IV colorectal cancer. She just turned 67 and it was estimated she developed cancerous polyps 13-15 year ago.. If you have colon cancer in your family, have your first colonoscopy at age 40.. If no family history, age 50. Believe me, you DON'T want to get this disease, it is a long, painful, horrible way to die.
Excellent post and I'm terribly sorry for your wife's bad news.

We laugh about this people, but the potential consequences are just too great to ignore.

Piece of cake. The only part that is a challenge is the laxative and it's effects as you prep. Other than that it is a 10 or 15 minute procedure that you don't remember at all.
Same here. I slept through it.

I've had a bunch of them, about 10 years ago a number of polyps were found and taken care of. At the one year re-exam - more polyps, also taken care of and I was put on a 1 year re-exam schedule for an additional 4 years. The VA is thorough or something else. Now on a 2 year re-exam schedule for one more cycle and then a longer interval supposedly. I don't mind the fasting but that gallon of juice got really tiresome about 9 years ago. Crystal Light doesn't make it any better for me. I relax when they start the I-don't-care infusion and wake up still feeling pretty good but it isn't something I look forward to.

My opinion of a similar process from last January............the colonoscopy is more invasive, but less painful. Get one, don't hesitate. The worst part was the restriction on food, followed by the "magic juice". Otherwise, a piece of cake. Or, piece of hose, actually. It's one of the most curable forms of cancer.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Here you go, boys and girls, way too much personal information and disgusting description coming your way. Read on if you dare.

Maybe Mrs.RadioHowie is going in to get a hemorrhoid removed. Piece of cake (or varicose vein, as it were). They tip you up on the table of shame, in a position similar to your first day in prison. Then they turn on a light with about 8 billion candlepower, so bright you can feel your nether side heating up. (Gotta be a frightening, terrible few moments for the nurse and doctor). THEN, you receive several shots of novocaine in the "you-know-where". DO NOT jump or be alarmed when the doctor says "OK, you're going to feel a little prick". Unless, of course you feel two hands on your shoulders. Once numb, the only other sensation you will feel is warm fluid running down across the taint and scrotal area. (OK, go throw up now, but not on your keyboard). They semi-insert some gauze, tip the table back up, and you're on your way, without, of course, any remaining shred of dignity.

From the time I stepped into the doctor's room, to the time I was in my car, seated semicomfortably, was 15 minutes. For the remainder of the day, the gauze remains. It feels like a slight wedgie all day, but being a severe dork when I was young (and, some say, still to this day), I was familiar with this long forgotten discomfort. Later that day, remove the not-so-pristine-anymore gauze, and go about your life.

So, now you know. If you have a hemi issue, go get it taken care of. You will be relieved, but without any dignity left. When you greet the doctor, DO NOT shake his hand, as you now know where it has possibly been.

Hope Mrs. RH's surgery was of this fairly insignificant nature, and not more serious. Get well soon.

And Last Chance, my prayers are with you and your wife. I hope she finds comfort.