Coming back for the 3rd time.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becoyote

Reaction score
Picking up a farkled 07 next Sunday. This will be my 3rd FJR. Had an 08, then an 06. Sold those bikes for a GS and a Super Tenere.

Now I will have the FJR and 12 S-10. If my knees can still take the FJR, I'll be selling the S-10.

I just love that motor.

We're on the same schedule. I had an 06 and an 09. Yesterday I picked up an 08.

It is a nice motor.

I haven't had a sport touring bike for a couple of years, having been riding Rocket III Tourings and Bonnevilles.

I got home yesterday and the bags were off when my wife came out and said "That looks a lot more sporty."

I'd have to agree.

More interestingly, at least to me, is that after riding around on an 875 pound hard bagger for a couple of years, with occasional excursions on the relatively small and underpowered Bonnevilles, the FJR feels a whole more "right" to me than it did when I left it last.

These are great bikes. And there is no doubt that there is more useful information about these bikes on this forum than is typical of what's available in most forums.

So Welcome Back ... from another wayfarer.

Picking up a farkled 07 next Sunday. This will be my 3rd FJR. Had an 08, then an 06. Sold those bikes for a GS and a Super Tenere.
Now I will have the FJR and 12 S-10. If my knees can still take the FJR, I'll be selling the S-10.

I just love that motor.
Most excellent. If it is the '07A it is the best looking color of all the bikes IMHO. Even better than the '15.

I have problems with my right knee also on long trips. Having multiple locations to rest your feet makes all the difference in the world. It's all about setting up the bike for comfort. I love my broomstick and pipe insulation highway pegs that I put in my sliders. I can just lay my feet out straight and give them a rest for a while. When in slower traffic I will ocasionally stand up just to get the blood flowing through the legs again.

Good luck,

Dave

Congrats! Keep both bikes, a little variety never hurts and a Tenere is just the ticket for occasional forays northward!!

--G

I followed a similar path to yours,sold my 2008 and bought a Super Tenere but couldn't make it work so I sold it and bought a V Strom.But the FJR beckoned and I got a great deal on a 2007 earlier this year,sold the V Strom and couldn't be happier!

Welcome back!

This is an interesting topic; how buying decisions for motorcycles are influenced by the place, time, budget, what's available, and how see yourself. I started riding in 1969 while in the army. Stationed in Thailand, near the beach resort of Pattaya, with plenty of time off, my buddy and I rented Honda 350s. We had to have a local drivers license, and the vendor provided the helmet. My bud and I rode all over the southern coastal area of Thailand, from Bangkok to Rayong. After the service, I rode for some years on a Triumph Bonneville, a Honda CL450, a Kawi 750, then took a hiatus from riding to raise a family and do sailboats. Twelve years ago, after selling the last boat, I got the itch to ride again and acquired a '98 H-D 883 Sportster, rode it for about a year, sold that for an '05 1200 Sporty rode it for three years, sold it to buy a '04 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500, rode that for six years, acquired a '94 Honda 750 NH as a second bike, then a few months ago, decided to go a different direction, and bought an '06 FJR. The Kawi is for sale, but I'll keep the Honda the Yamaha. It occurs to me that this might be an interesting topic for Master's degree thesis in psychology.

Yep, when I had my 06 I also had a DR650. Sold both to buy the Tenere. I figured it would be a better bike for my 11 year old son and I to take a two up trip from Va. to Alaska.

I think it was the better choice but now that the trip is over I think I will be happier with the fjr and maybe a klr to keep at my camp. My camp has great twisties and jeep trails to explore but it is 5 hours of slab to get there.

I'm buying the bike sight unseen but it has a Russell seat, mv riser plate and canyon cage crash bars that I am hoping to hang some highway pegs off of. Similiar set up as my last Feej. I did use highway pegs before and stretched when I could. My knees never hurt while riding, but they would start thumping when I got in the sleeping bag. I've lost a lot weight since then though so I am hoping my knees will last a little better

Tenere really is a great bike but I miss the grin inducing smooth power and the electric windscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider the thread move to be related to "recurring" and "never-ending" Boolean or reasons...not necessarily "pointless". You and smitty seem to be the resident FJR pink slip churn machines. Your DMVs must love your business! ;)

Im on my 2nd. I have a bad habit of keeping a bike for a year or 2 and selling.... well maybe 2 is a little much. Pisses the women folk off. The fjr is the only one ive bought twice...after almost 20 bikes..... that should say something about this wonderful machine.

I followed a similar path to yours,sold my 2008 and bought a Super Tenere but couldn't make it work so I sold it and bought a V Strom.But the FJR beckoned and I got a great deal on a 2007 earlier this year,sold the V Strom and couldn't be happier!Welcome back!
What pulled you off the VStrom? I haven't even test-ridden one, but that smoking 0-60 time has me intrigued. I was planning to look at that and a few other bikes - including a Gen3 or a low mileage Gen1 - when it comes time to replace my '05. Not ready to pull the trigger yet, but she is getting a bit long in the tooth (just under 130K miles), so getting to be time to start the research phase.

I followed a similar path to yours,sold my 2008 and bought a Super Tenere but couldn't make it work so I sold it and bought a V Strom.But the FJR beckoned and I got a great deal on a 2007 earlier this year,sold the V Strom and couldn't be happier!Welcome back!
What pulled you off the VStrom? I haven't even test-ridden one, but that smoking 0-60 time has me intrigued. I was planning to look at that and a few other bikes - including a Gen3 or a low mileage Gen1 - when it comes time to replace my '05. Not ready to pull the trigger yet, but she is getting a bit long in the tooth (just under 130K miles), so getting to be time to start the research phase.
The V Strom is a great bike and if it was practical for me to have 2 bikes then I would have kept it,but overall the FJR comes out on top for numerous reasons.

r2fle.jpg

I just sold a Wee last month and had a V about 10 years ago. Both good entry level bikes. The V with a power commander was a lot of fun. The Wee just wasn't enough bike for me. I didn't feel the fit or finish was in the same class as an S-10 or FJR.

I had a V-Strom too. It was quite comfortable once I put a Corbin seat on it.

Mine was the older version. Probably a 2005 or 2006 MY. It was fairly heavy and uncomfortable in gravel. The official Suzuki badged luggage was made by Givi, but it was not well thought out, and the panniers were offset from the frame so much that it must have measured 48" across the back.

It had decent power. The riding position was easy on the knees. I did a Saddle Sore 1000 on it once, and after 1060 miles and 18 hours, the only part of my body that actually hurt was my hands, from gripping.

The current model looks nicer to me ... but it is significantly more expensive too. The current luggage looks like it is better thought out compared to the one I owned.

Suzuki's seem to be pretty good values.