Commuting On Your Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 2 or 3 of us that do just about every day and one of them has an 04 FJR.

Todd

I'm the only one at my office (roughly 30 people, I think), but there are three others who work in my building and commute during better weather. I think many of us feel that 110 degrees is too hot to ride, but it's starting to cool off. The worst part of the summer is over :)

Before my FJR arrived on the scene, moto commuting was pretty hit or miss. I started showing up almost every day except freezing weather, and at first they thought that would pass. Now, they are starting to pony up as I keep riding. The Sportster is a surprising second, then the BMW GS, now the Triumph Tiger making it in from the hinterlands several times. 64 employees.

Note: we all travel out of state during summer, so this data is for Fall-Winter-Spring 'fringe season' riders in Idaho.

Me. Thats it. You would think a University would be more motorcycle friendly, giving as how they like to tout environmental crapola, but unless it's a politically correct transportation device, like a bio-diesel-hybrid-unicycle, they could give a shit. I have to park on a busy street if I ride in, etc. Hypocrite, U of M is thy name... ;)

Out of 400, there are two of us-I ride 98% of the time (2% in the car when I have errands). The other rider is mostly a fair weather (not too hot, cant be raining, cant be 30% chance of rain, cant be cold) rider. :unsure:

I'm a self-employed CPA but I ride almost everyday except for ice, snow, and rain(have stuff to carry).

I leave my FJR and ride my KLR-650 most of the time as it is lighter, more maneuverable, and offers a better view of the traffic with the upright position. Additionally, if there is going to be any motorcycle abuse, I would rather it be the KLR.

I ride 98% of the time. 80 mile round trip on one of the most dangerous roads on Long Island. The cagers are out to get me every day. :unsure:

I work for a small company, only 8 people. They all think I'm nuts. Just wait until winter time and I'm still riding in. :D

With the price of gas lately, I can't afford to drive my pick-up. It only gets around 15 mpg. :(

Tim

Interestigly, from the close to 1200 employees at my place of work, only two of us ride ~100% of the time, and we both work in the same department. He rides a Harley.

There are others in the building that ride to work sometimes, but not consistently. I think they chicken out from the AZ heat.

One thing worth mentioning, most of the other bikes park at the other end of the rectangular motorcycle parking area, as far away from my FJR as possible. Then again, they are mostly itty-bitty Harleys :devilsmiley:

I'm a teacher and out of the 120 teachers I work with, I'm one of only three that ride to work. That's just sad. Anyway, I have a 25 mile commute and 20 of those miles are highway, which is terribly boring and just plain aweful on my unfaired bike. This is why I'm seeking an FJR.

Mike

I ride about once or twice a week... Of the other people in my building, there are about 2-4 other riders who also ride about the same frequency. That's out of about 200 people in the building.

I work in an office of 2 where the other person usually works at home. Since picking up the FJR on May 7, I've only ridden to work 5-6 times. But, now that I have the GIVI C46 mounted I can take the bike more often because my briefcase will fit & I can carry other stuff also with the big case. It's not that big of a deal though, because the office is only 1 mile from my house, so I will be more liable to suit up the FJR if I have to go to a customer site.

One thing worth mentioning, most of the other bikes park at the other end of the rectangular motorcycle parking area, as far away from my FJR as possible.
Hey FJRocha, I musta missed your Woo Hoo about getting your FJR. Congrats :) When did it come in?

5 out of 13 here ride in regularly, depending on the weather and season. Big mix of bikes too, a little of everything.

I am in an office of 20 and 3 of us ride. We all seem to ride pretty regulary. Heat doesn't seem to bother any of us, rain is questionable as I have seen one guy ride in on some pretty bad days and if it is going to rain in the afternoon I will ride as I don't mind getting wet but having to sit in it all day sucks. I have a winter suit and will ride close to 40 degree days as long as no snow or ice and such. I have had my bike for about a month and just hit 2000 miles.

About 200 emplyees:

3 commute regularly:

My FJR

Moto-Guzzi Jackel

HD something

Used to be four when my boss had a 1100 V-Star. Since getting his new HD Road King Screamin' Eagle, his is literally too worried to ride it to work for fear of rain.

At my office, only one person rides. Me. And not very often. Although I hear my FJRocket just out my office door calling as we speak... ride me..... ride me.....

I ride pretty regularly. A guy on the other shift decided to ride his Harley to work Tuesday. He has no luggage, so his wife had to haul all his stuff in her car, running about 30 minutes behind him. He left his keys in his overnight bag so he couldn't get into his locker and suit up. So, he calls her, no answer, and rides back home for his locker key after talking my captain into covering for him. In the meantime, his wife leaves for the station so he misses her and he pulls in about 10 minutes after her and late for his shift. I took the appropriate shot about his choice of bikes. Today, after he rode back home, he shows up in his SUV to pick up his crap. Kinda defeats the purpose, no?