commuting too much

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be mounting me some tires tonight.
Z
T

I am having fun with it. I've got a couple of bikes that are going to JAX as loaners and started swapping tires last night. Takes about 1-1/2 minutes to swap tires and then 45 minutes to balance them (breaking them down and repositioning the tire to minimize weights, etc.).

I'll be glad when I can start wearing out some FJR tires.... poor thing...some how or another, it got scattered all over my shop.

Z
Scattered? Isn't that code for "a work in progress?"

Seeing that Alpin makes me want to ride my wing to this morning's PGR mission.

Well, almost.

Have fun in JAX!

Bgross,

Not saying all car tires are good ones but that one sure is (ride quality and longivity). I've got one on the back of my black Wing and a BattleAx on the front that both, currently, have 20K+ on them. The C/T looks like its good for another 10 or so and probably more on the BattleAx. Hard to complain about that.

Maybe it won't be too long before I can relate some FJR stories, trials & tribulations or something. Its coming along good...kind of slow...but good. Hate to say it, but the Wing is actually easier to work on/with.

Z

Bastard. I'm totally envious of that Coats. Someday.........
That Coats tire changer is a POS. I bought the damn thing and it doesn't take the wheels off the bike, it doesn't balance them and it doesn't put the wheels back on! Same thing with that damn exercise equipment, I bought it but don't feel a damn bit better.

Seriously, it is the bomb when doing all your work by yourself. With my old Harbor Frieght thing, sometimes you needed two extra sets of hands on a tough tire. I like having the ability to change tires on my schedule (nights, weekends) and don't won't someone telling me they won't mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim.

039.jpg

Tires009.jpg

024.jpg

Not counting extra wheels, I've got 40 motorcycle related tires on the ground (14 bikes and 6 trailers) so I'm never too far away from a tire change. It can wear you out keeping up with that many....

Various148.jpg

The upside to it is that I have eleven employees that ride and many more friends that do. Anybody that lives close enough to me to make it practical is welcome to use it (except for one prick I know...in case he's reading this). In all my years of riding, I'm yet to find a dealership I trust or like.

Z

Yeah, I've been wrestling with the Harbor Freight for years now. I almost always need an extra set of hands. Wish I lived closer to you!
smile.png

I had a shop install my car tire - after hearing the horror stories I didn't want to try it myself. Next time I am going to try wrestling it on myself with the HF changer. No doubt it will be a multi-cuss word evolution......

IMG_8356B.jpg

Yeah, I've been wrestling with the Harbor Freight for years now. I almost always need an extra set of hands. Wish I lived closer to you! :)

I had a shop install my car tire - after hearing the horror stories I didn't want to try it myself. Next time I am going to try wrestling it on myself with the HF changer. No doubt it will be a multi-cuss word evolution......

[img=[URL="https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/SkooterG/Trips%20and%20Rides/Southwest%20Colorado%202012/IMG_8356B.jpg%5D"]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/SkooterG/Trips%20and%20Rides/Southwest%20Colorado%202012/IMG_8356B.jpg][/URL]
Must be Photoshop. "Everybody" knows that [redacted] tires can't lean....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've been wrestling with the Harbor Freight for years now. I almost always need an extra set of hands. Wish I lived closer to you!
smile.png

I have only been involved with one CT installation using the HF changer and mojolever and it would help to have an extra set of hands......but.......it was easy in comparison to mounting a GL1800 rear tire.

SkooterG,

Actually, the toughest tires I've mounted was some Metzeler Marathons on a RoadKing. Then once mounted, they wouldn't balance with less than 4 oz of weight...both front and rear. Broke them down and repositioned them 50 times trying to find a better spot...no go. Metzeler replaced the Brazilian-made tires with some German copies that balanced fine at 1/4 oz (still a bitch to mount). I ordered them via internet but had to return them thru an authorized dealer (local Honda shop). Dealer said 9 out of 10 Brazilian copies would not balance. Metzeler said that a tire that requires more than 3 oz of counter-balance is out of spec. I'd hate to know I had to run 2-3/4 to 3 oz of weights on a brand new tire....that's a gob of lead. I've run Metz on Wings, Guzzis, Vulcan Nomad and never had problem mounting on them.

The car tires I've fooled with, including run-flats with stiff sidewalls, are easier to mount than some motorcycle tires (and that was on the HF tire changer). I dreaded my first CT on the HF but with a little lube, it was not a problem and not worth the dread. Using the Coats with a 1hp motor and lower gear reduction transmission than a changer designed for car use, you have to exercise a little caution not "power" through when the tire is binding which could mess up the bead. If you can keep the tire in the drop-center 180 degrees from the duckhead, all is good. My first CT I ran on the Wing was 205 wide (pictured above)....had to alter the inner fender on the bike to handle it and very difficult to get in the tire well (deflated and using garbage bags, etc.). That tire was so wide, it tried to bead itself up without air, when dismounting it, it was a challenge to keep it in the drop-center using the HF....ended up with some big C-clamps on the tire.

I've got quite a few old motorcycles that run tubes....may just use the Coats to hold the wheel and then, just spoon them off the old fashion way.

Z

The problem I had with the 205 was ass-wag....above 75-80mph, it would wag the bike. At lower speeds, I felt like my size 11 foot was in a pair of size 13 loafers wearing silk socks. The tire was connected to the road and to the bike but there was something missing in between. I put 12k miles on it to give it a fair shot but learned to really hate it. Others that have run them claim getting 40K out of one....that is what lured me in on my LD bike. I was just before turning my back on CTs.

Later, I decided the problem was somewhere in the middle as indicated in the picture.

Tires010.jpg

The Michelin that I'm running now is so close to riding like a M/C tire that it is freaky....especially since is doesn't look much different in profile than the one I grew to hate. Not only is the handling good but a ROF, to boot.

Z

Must be Photoshop. "Everybody" knows that [redacted] tires can't lean....
Ha ha! You must hang out on the ST1300 forum! https://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=2146&page=13
WHOLE leash IT!

It's so predictable - several of the 'usual suspect/common sense' arguments within half a dozen posts. We hear them all, all the time over on gl1800riders.com.

Maura's post was, at least, open to the idea that there might be some applications where a CT is something to consider. Of course, some will then trot out the 'slippery slope' argument at this point because her admission undermines their flat-out rejection.

I was pleased to read a couple posts on the gl1800 board about Zs first experiment with a CT. He approached it with an open mind, gave it an honest shot, and explained his concerns. Few are willing to use the 'scientific method', and prefer to simply pontificate. (If that sounds like what Galileo went through, you get my point.)

I was further impressed when Z continued the scientific method and tried another (different) brand/model. As luck would have it, it's the same on that I have on my Wing.

:::NOTE::: --> the OP started this thread about 'commuting', and I trust that this side street, parallel to the 'slab' is heading in the same direction.

Since probably 90% of my miles on the Wingabago have been slab riding, my offering is:

"If you do 90% of your miles on the slab - and even ride on a run-flat CT - and find yourself longing for more fun... Add an FJR to the stable!"

to the original start of the thread...

When your idea of wheel alignment, is a matched set of bungie cords...you probably spend too much time on the slab.

When you know not just the radar cop's favorite spots, but where he gets his coffee cups . . .

When you are afraid to flip off half the traffic deserving it, because you'll see them again . . .

When you get on ANY road not on "the route" and feel like it's a new adventure . . .

When you don't know what to do because somebody blocked where you ALWAYS park . . .

When the meter maid greets you by first name . . .

When you sweep the potentially sharp debris from the curb gutter at YOUR parking meter . . .

When you open an envelope and have to take a second look to see if the bill is for your cell phone or EZPass . . .