Comparison of my 06 FJR to my '10 Concours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had already decided that the PR2s feel a little squirrelly sometimes, usually in morning dew when the road's cold and almost wet. I spent a couple of weeks checking tire pressures every time I got on, thinking that was it...finally decided it was just the harder compound in the middle. (As if I have a clue what it really might be...NOT.)
PR2s have very flexible sidewalls (which makes them very easy to mount/dismount). I am guessing that the "squirrelly" feeling you are describing is because the sidewalls flex until the tires heat up to their (hot) operating temperatures/pressures. That cold tire flex would be much more noticeable on a PR2 than on a tire with stiff sidewalls (such as a Strada or BT021).

I will try to keep this short....

Let's face it, would we honestly want the perfect bike? One that requires no add-ons, no tweaking, no quick fixes? Don't get me wrong I would love to own a bike that requires no headaches when it comes to serious problems, and I believe we are very fortunate to have the choice of such fine and very reliable machines. I have never ridden a C14 yet but I can pretty much guarantee that both bikes would give us huge smiles at the end of a great run with friends, all that she asks for is a little TLC from our part. WHo doesn't have time for that. :)

I'm glad the FJR is not perfect because if it was, this forum might get a little dry just talking about....

I believe the small imperfections is what brings us bike enthusiast to such a place to share, rant and enjoy our passion of riding.

I was actually quite surprised at first to see such a post talking about how good the C14 was, but then I came to realize that it was an unbiased write up from a guy that enjoys riding as much as I do. Not to discredit the journalist, but me personally, I love to hear and read feedback from the average joe but only because I can relate to him a little better. :)

I'm very new to this board but I've been reading the posts for almost a year now. Was part of my research project in picking my bike, FJR or C14. Just had to add my 2 cents as I really enjoyed reading all posts. I was truly impressed by the replies of everyone on this board.

P.S it's a Cdn 2 cents, it's worth a little more today. LOL

Hey..HEY...[SIZE=12pt]HEY!!!![/SIZE]

Let's not ruin this thread (or any other) with the voice of reason and a calm acceptance of a different opinion or perspective. :unsure:

This IS the FJR Forum, afterall....

....we KNOW drama! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly right, except I believe this is only true for those sold in North America, as BMWNA has determined that the typical BMW buyer has option envy and won't buy one unless it is decked out to the nine's. I've heard that in Yurop a lot of businesses use unloaded BMWs as fleet (company) cars and that the marque is not viewed as a "luxury" brand there. Many buyers get stripped down models without all the hoopty that we are forced to get if we want one over here.

Ah yes, Mercedes, the old German taxicab. I remember seeing them in the late '50's and '60's and thinking that they looked like Checker Marathons...

BMW's were quick-rusting econo-boxes at the time...

...but back to the topic. I find the Kawasaki's to have fit and finish issues. The cobby castings look like a pain to clean and wax. That said, I haven't looked at the 2010 yet.

Let's face it, would we honestly want the perfect bike?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I suppose it depends on how one defines perfect. Not everyone would agree. Even so, stock sport-touring bikes are getting better these days and that's a good thing. It certainly sounds like the 2010 C14 has eliminated or at least improved a number of its earlier imperfections. My $0.02.

Before buying my '09 FJR I rode the '09 C14 ABS. The motor had a little more low end but when the cam timing adjustment backed off it was a typical Kawasaki motor they rev to make power. I rode a C-10 for ten years if you wanted more get up and go increase the RPM's. The fit and finish on the C-14 was not as good as the FJR, the paint was much nicer and I personally did not like the single muffler it made the bike look unbalanced. The tire pressure monitor system was nice when I went for the test ride the tires were low and the bike "told" me to have air put in. However I spoke with 4 or 5 owners of C-14's and three of them had problems with tire monitor system already. The K-Pass system seemed like overkill you leave the key in the bike all the time and carry a "fob" to activate the electronics. What happens if the the fob malfunctions how do you get home? Like everything people have different tastes those of us on the FJR Forum have cast our vote as to what we prefer.