Comparison of my 06 FJR to my '10 Concours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that kawi mill has us whooped gentlemen... its a monster ! B)
So is a Hayabuse and ZX-14 not to mention a lot of other bikes.

I like the FJR's low end grunt. For an all-purpose bike, I'll take low end torque and excellent drivability anyday.

I can get into enough trouble with my FJR and it's....

1.) Old, underpowered engine :rolleyes:

2.) Lousy 5-speed overdrive transmission :blink:

BUT....I'm old and grumpy, set in my ways and unwilling to change.

Yep, I'm a dinosaur. :eek:

The FJR puts out what?......145 shp.....around 100 ft lbs of torque....and will run about 155 mph. Why would anybody need a sixth gear or a bigger engine........just sayin' . Most riders never run these bikes to their potential anyway.

I test rode a 2010 Connie the same day I bought the FJR and thought the Kawi was a nice ride but it all just didn't sync together as well as it did with the Yamaha in my opinion........your results may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get into enough trouble with my FJR and it's....
1.) Old, underpowered engine :rolleyes:

2.) Lousy 5-speed overdrive transmission :blink:

BUT....I'm old and grumpy, set in my ways and unwilling to change.

Yep, I'm a dinosaur. :eek:
mm2.jpg

For reasons I won't go into here, I won't be posting on this forum again. I do have some updates to this thread, but I'll only be updating on the Concours forum thread. The link is in one of my posts above. Feel free to PM me - I may or may not be getting them, but if I do I'll respond.
OK, I'm PM'ing you.. I need to know why.
Because he's selling the FJR?

He's riding and conversing with other C-14 owners?

He's rather ride than post?

OTH, if someone has "driven" him away..... :angry:
This is a curious happening in'it? Didn't see anything offensive in any of his posting here :unsure:

:jester:

If I wuzn't so dumb I would put up a pic of a T-Rex to represent the FJR-The Brontosaurus or whatever the hell they call it now is more representative of the C14-at least as far as looks go..

that kawi mill has us whooped gentlemen... its a monster ! B)
So is a Hayabuse and ZX-14 not to mention a lot of other bikes.

I like the FJR's low end grunt. For an all-purpose bike, I'll take low end torque and excellent drivability anyday.

i wasnt talkin about the busa or the 14... i was talking about the connie mill vs the fjr mill ;)

i love my fjr in lots of ways and its an awesome machine , im just sayin the connie runs better

This is a curious happening in'it? Didn't see anything offensive in any of his posting here :unsure: :jester:
I heard from him that he was given a bad time by someone here and who did it, though not why. And I agree, nothing I saw posted here seemed to warrant any criticism. But I don't know exactly what transpired. My only concern would be if the foolishness descibed that lead to the creation of this site fjrforum.com (bad behavior on a key person's part on the prior website led to a mass exodus) was being repeated. I hope this was an isolated incident and not an indication of things to come.

I have found this board and those that post here most helpful as I've tranistion from 15 years on my Concours to the FJR (which I'm enjoying more every day, and quite pleased 7 months and 10,000 miles later).

Though I disagree with some of the comments above (that a few small changes makes a bike 'better' - 'better' is too subjective a term and absolutely meaningless with such comparably set up bikes as the FJR1300 and C-14. One or the other bike may be better - for a certain use and riding style than the other, but "BETTER" implies better in most if not all categories, and neither bike is even close to being able to make such a claim (nor can BMW K1300GT or Honda ST1300). So - for those using such words, do us all a favor, and indicate better at X (so we don't have to translate Venution to Martian and try to figure out what you feeling when you said that (for those that have read Mens from Mars, Women from Venus)... I have a wife for which I have to such, please don't ask me to do such translating here. Okay? ;^))

Me - I love competition and am pleased beyond measure that we have such great bikes to pick from.

I believe that there is very little between the FJR, C14and BMW's or any other sports tourer, just personal choice on what floats your boat. Each and every bike will have some niggles which will either lead to changing the bike or modification to overcome the deficiency.

Andy

....I could be wrong, but it seems to me that it takes them along time to make changes to the bike other than paint. I am not sure if I want to hold out through this summer.
Exactly the position we were in. Heck, they didn't even change the paint for two years.

I love the FJR. If they would add a sixth gear, a touch more power would be nice, cruise control (they would sway a lot of ST buyers alone), tire pressure monitoring I'd go back to the FJR in the next two years - assuming they don't mess up what I like about it. Heck, I'd be happy if the looks and overall bike is the same as now if they would just make those upgrades.
What all you 6th gear people really want is a taller overall top gear so that the engine can turn at a lower rpm at highway speeds. Adding a sixth gear will only make you shift more. My understanding is that the FJR's overdrive 5th gear is very close to the same overall gear ratio as the 6th gear on bikes that have one.

Having more power would be OK, but at what price? Would you give up fuel mileage to get it? Lose mileage range per tank of fuel? Bumping up the displacement would do all of these things. As most things in life, this is a compromise between these factors. Personally, I think the current 1300cc mill is a pretty good balance point between these factors. I find myself squeezing (or trying to) 250 miles out of a tank much more often than I'm stoplight drag racing. ;-)

Cruise control? Doesn't appeal to me. If you want one you can always have one installed for less than $200. I did that (it was a pretty fun little project) and then I removed it (even though it worked just fine) because I wasn't using it and wanted to remove the extra clutter. I just don't like riding on super-slab all that much. Not everyone wants an electronic cruise control on their bike. It doesn't come for free. Tire pressure monitoring falls into the same category. You want it, put it on. I don't need it, thanks.

Why would anyone want to pay more for a bike to have features they don't even want?

My point is, none of the things that would make the OP want to stay with an FJR are important to me in the least. In fact, adding them would just make the bike more expensive, and to a person like me and not provide any benefit whatsoever. Maybe other people would want one or two of these options but not like paying for the others.

Does having all these extra features make the Concours a better bike? To someone who wants all of those features, yes it does. To someone else who doesn't want them no it doesn't. Having a choice is a great thing.

For reasons I won't go into here, I won't be posting on this forum again. I do have some updates to this thread, but I'll only be updating on the Concours forum thread. The link is in one of my posts above. Feel free to PM me - I may or may not be getting them, but if I do I'll respond.

This is a curious happening in'it? Didn't see anything offensive in any of his posting here :unsure:

I believe jjsC6's sudden departure (and current state of being banned) may result from not adhering to forum rules, possibly related to a classified ad he posted which was subsequently removed. Probably due to posting about a certain vendor. :unsure:

I believe jjsC6's sudden departure (and current state of being banned) may result from not adhering to forum rules, possibly related to a classified ad he posted which was subsequently removed. Probably due to posting about a certain vendor. :unsure:
By George, I think he's got it!

[SIZE=8pt]I thought the same thing when I read his ad and wondered if he'd be asked/told to remove the offending manufacturer's name. It may have turned bad after that. If HE decided he new better than the admins and would violate forum guidelines, admins-be-damned....well, there wouldn't have been many options after that.[/SIZE]

Too bad some can't or won't try to understand the reasoning of the admins when it comes to that particular issue or that there is a purpose for the guidelines.

I don't have to understand them to stay within the parameters and contribute to the fun, frivolity, friendships, education, lore and information available here.

We now return you to your normally schedule programming.

Why would anyone want to pay more for a bike to have features they don't even want? My point is, none of the things that would make the OP want to stay with an FJR are important to me in the least. In fact, adding them would just make the bike more expensive, and to a person like me and not provide any benefit whatsoever. Maybe other people would want one or two of these options but not like paying for the others.

Does having all these extra features make the Concours a better bike? To someone who wants all of those features, yes it does. To someone else who doesn't want them no it doesn't. Having a choice is a great thing.
In a similar vein:

Hi-End BMW automobiles are currently the laughing stock of automotive jounalists. "Rolling Operator's Manuals" they call them. Way too much 'Stuff'. It may take longer to learn to operate it (and get it operating properly) than to get the benefit from the accessory? :rolleyes:

Many of which are un-necessary/un-needed/un-wanted... :blink:

Exactly right, except I believe this is only true for those sold in North America, as BMWNA has determined that the typical BMW buyer has option envy and won't buy one unless it is decked out to the nine's. I've heard that in Yurop a lot of businesses use unloaded BMWs as fleet (company) cars and that the marque is not viewed as a "luxury" brand there. Many buyers get stripped down models without all the hoopty that we are forced to get if we want one over here.

This is generally due to the way that cars are presently marketed and sold in the US. The dealerships pre-order a lot full of cars with the options they estimate the largest number of potential buyers will want. Then buyers are expected to look around and find one that has the items they do want. Generally this means accepting some options or features they really don't care about. Guess who gets to pay for that? It is pretty rare for people to order a car custom configured to their liking anymore. About the best you can hope for is to give the dealer your wish list and they search inventory nationally for a match.

Sounds like a lot of US motorcycle buyers want things to go that way too. No thanks...

The FJR puts out what?......145 shp.....around 100 ft lbs of torque....and will run about 155 mph. Why would anybody need a sixth gear or a bigger engine........just sayin' . Most riders never run these bikes to their potential anyway.
My thoughts too. If a sixth gear would drop the RPMs at 75 mph, then it would be nice. The FJR has more power than I know what to do with. It would be nice to have affordable factory heated grips/seat, more power outlets, and cruise control. But I still love my FJR with those shortcomings. The FJR is a sweet bike for a very competitive price.

"The C-14 I thought was kinda ugly and had too many doodads and would be a nightmare to work on."

I've not read a whole lot except here on this forum, so what is it about the C14 that makes it a nightmare to work on? Just curious.

doctorj

....I could be wrong, but it seems to me that it takes them along time to make changes to the bike other than paint. I am not sure if I want to hold out through this summer.
Exactly the position we were in. Heck, they didn't even change the paint for two years.

I love the FJR. If they would add a sixth gear, a touch more power would be nice, cruise control (they would sway a lot of ST buyers alone), tire pressure monitoring I'd go back to the FJR in the next two years - assuming they don't mess up what I like about it. Heck, I'd be happy if the looks and overall bike is the same as now if they would just make those upgrades.
What all you 6th gear people really want is a taller overall top gear so that the engine can turn at a lower rpm at highway speeds. Adding a sixth gear will only make you shift more. My understanding is that the FJR's overdrive 5th gear is very close to the same overall gear ratio as the 6th gear on bikes that have one.

Having more power would be OK, but at what price? Would you give up fuel mileage to get it? Lose mileage range per tank of fuel? Bumping up the displacement would do all of these things. As most things in life, this is a compromise between these factors. Personally, I think the current 1300cc mill is a pretty good balance point between these factors. I find myself squeezing (or trying to) 250 miles out of a tank much more often than I'm stoplight drag racing. ;-)

Cruise control? Doesn't appeal to me. If you want one you can always have one installed for less than $200. I did that (it was a pretty fun little project) and then I removed it (even though it worked just fine) because I wasn't using it and wanted to remove the extra clutter. I just don't like riding on super-slab all that much. Not everyone wants an electronic cruise control on their bike. It doesn't come for free. Tire pressure monitoring falls into the same category. You want it, put it on. I don't need it, thanks.

Why would anyone want to pay more for a bike to have features they don't even want?

My point is, none of the things that would make the OP want to stay with an FJR are important to me in the least. In fact, adding them would just make the bike more expensive, and to a person like me and not provide any benefit whatsoever. Maybe other people would want one or two of these options but not like paying for the others.

If that is the case, I hope he didn't decide to buy the C14 based on that or leave the forum because of it. I had a couple of handslaps myself early on for the same offense, and reason was just not reading the guidelines. I probably won't read guidelines on most forums either since have never gotten close to having a problem on one before being here. I also thought about just leaving too. It's not my sandbox, so I can't make the rules, but I hate it that anyone might decide to leave over just the mention of a particular product or the name of whomever the vendor is. Now, I hope I don't get sent to the penalty box for making that statement (examining post and don't see any names or products mentioned so maybe OK-- :unsure: ).

doctorj

Let's not derail this into whether or not the slapping he received (if any) was justified or not. That's between him and the admins.

I, however, am very glad to have read this. I agonized for quite a while over an 08 c14 or my 08 fjr. In hindsight reading things like this, I feel even better that I made the right choice for me.

I also read the whole threads on the other two boards. It does sound like both are full of rather decent people, as most here are. An interesting idea that hadn't occurred to me before reading them, was how much of a rough ride is actually the tires.

Since switching from the BS021's to PR2's (at around 10K), I too have noticed a nicer ride. I thought it was just the suspension finally getting broken in and used to my 275#. I had already decided that the PR2s feel a little squirrelly sometimes, usually in morning dew when the road's cold and almost wet. I spent a couple of weeks checking tire pressures every time I got on, thinking that was it...finally decided it was just the harder compound in the middle. (As if I have a clue what it really might be...NOT.) I was wondering what I would end up with next, we'll see when I get there.

Back to the OP's topic...another factor that swayed me towards the fjr, was when I started looking for add-ons. The FJR had tons of suppliers and way more kinds of farkles to add, while the C14, being nearly brand new, had very few. Many catalogs didn't have any mention of C14, only the C10. I had no idea how much I would add on/modify whatever I ended up with, but decided I wanted as many options as possible. (I love my Clearwater Lights, although they could go any bike:)

Mike