computer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we should start a group-wise bet..

What will FjRay purchase?
Not sure but it will probably be soon. Got some good advice from my son in law that has me leaning toward a refurb box. I can get one that will suit my meager needs for a couple hundred bucks. Any thoughts on brand??
Dood, I put the fleabay link above; Dell optiplex is a good robust, reliable line. It's a refurb for under $200, has Win 10, USB3, Solid state drive, (As opposed to them old spinning disks.) and 8 gigs of RAM. It's a full size box so you can plug yer old drive in it.

Yer welcome. :)
Ray,

for your needs this is the most solid advice so far, the Optiplex platform is a solid work horse that you will be gumming about replacing in 15 years. Till then you want KISS then get the Optiplex and if you are not comfortable swapping drives I will run down and while we throw my bike on the stand and take a look at my headset I will drop your old drive in the new box, transfer your bookmarks and set you up with LAST PASS.

I remember when I used to be "I aint putting my credit card on the internet" then is was "I aint linking my bank account or credit card to pay bills, they will siphon all twelve of my bucks" "I aint gonna use no stinkin password manager for the effin commies to steal all my shit" with last pass I remember ONE password and shit opens faster than you can say open seasame... but I digress - get the Optiplex and give me a call.
Will PM you when it gets here.

I installed an SSD in someone's LT yesterday, (Working Sunday, cuz I'm a man of the people.) 'n when it boots up for the 1st time, they ask if this is for home or work; you wanta say WORK. Then you wanta say it's going on a domain. (In small writing near the lower left.) This way you can have an independent, local account as opposed to joining the Microsoft BS account which they try very hard to steer you towards. Hopefully Phatair knows wut I'm talk'in 'bout?

I installed an SSD in someone's LT yesterday, (Working Sunday, cuz I'm a man of the people.) 'n when it boots up for the 1st time, they ask if this is for home or work; you wanta say WORK. Then you wanta say it's going on a domain. (In small writing near the lower left.) This way you can have an independent, local account as opposed to joining the Microsoft BS account which they try very hard to steer you towards. Hopefully Phatair knows wut I'm talk'in 'bout?
My MSN premium acct times out in about 10 days and I don't intend to renew it. It used to be good but lately it shuts down daily and I get a warning that their own site is not secure. I assume I will need a new email address. I do have a gmail address so that will probably be it but I do like having two addresses so I can manage the dinner orders for the Reuben. It will be a bit of a learning curve but I will handle it without gunfire.
smile.png

I did HOME the last time and learned that it (Win10 HOME) doesn't support RDP so had to back up and start again. I then skipped the MS account crap and picked something along the lines of HOME and LOCAL ACCOUNT (no DOMAIN was selected, I remember that).

My MSN premium acct times out in about 10 days and I don't intend to renew it. It used to be good but lately it shuts down daily and I get a warning that their own site is not secure. I assume I will need a new email address. I do have a gmail address so that will probably be it but I do like having two addresses so I can manage the dinner orders for the Reuben. It will be a bit of a learning curve but I will handle it without gunfire.
smile.png
lol.gif
Their own site is not secure! Yep, sounds 'bout right!
lol.gif

You'll still be able to go to MSN, (Via web browser.) you just don't wanta log into your computer with an MSN account; no good comes from that!

I do contract work for the state, 'n get peeps computers where they set it up w/ their MSN account. They have to give me their password to log onto the thing, and instead of just be'in able to log onto the 'puter, now I have access to their email 'n all their shit. Since I'm a reputable redneck, it's OK, cuz I ain't gonna do anything weird, but imagine the snot nosed, pimple faced, little peuke at Best Buy; would you want him have'in access to all yer shit?

And Microsoft who's own shit isn't secure? This is why it's important to create a "local" account that just logs you onto the 'puter.

I did HOME the last time and learned that it (Win10 HOME) doesn't support RDP so had to back up and start again. I then skipped the MS account crap and picked something along the lines of HOME and LOCAL ACCOUNT (no DOMAIN was selected, I remember that).
Not sure how Ray's is set up, (How it's imaged?) it may be that he'll turn it on, 'n it'll just goes to the home screen? Because I can, I just wiped 'n reload and old Optiplex I had lay'in around, 'n took notes; this is loading Win 10 Pro....

nQakWNf.jpg

Should be here this week. I've been trying to understand some of what has been posted. Will be an adventure I'm not looking forward to. If I could do it with wrenches and a milling machine no problem so I hope I can work on Phatair's bike for the education and set up.

smile.png
You could create an additional gmail address for this. I have done that to manage communication for the HOA for which I am Treasurer.

It got here today but I need to use the old one to sell some stuff before I get lost in the learning curve.

I highly recommend you NOT use any of those "cloud" IDs when setting it up. Just use the LOCAL account. You'll have to look because it's in small print to draw people to think that those cloud things are the only things.

It got here today but I need to use the old one to sell some stuff before I get lost in the learning curve.
Happy dayz!

1lwg4w.jpg

Don't worry, it's only computers!
taunt.gif

Sell yer stuff, 'n when you have time, plug in the new 'puter, 'n set it up. Try to do as Bounce says; MS steers you to their web based account BS, but it's best to create a local account. Even if you accidentally go with the sucky MS cloud account, that can easily be undone. If you bung it up too bad, I can ride up and bail you out. (For lunch.
smile.png
)

Happy dayz![img=[URL="https://i.imgflip.com/1lwg4w.jpg%5D"]https://i.imgflip.com/1lwg4w.jpg][/URL]

Don't worry, it's only computers! :taunt:

Sell yer stuff, 'n when you have time, plug in the new 'puter, 'n set it up. Try to do as Bounce says; MS steers you to their web based account BS, but it's best to create a local account. Even if you accidentally go with the sucky MS cloud account, that can easily be undone. If you bung it up too bad, I can ride up and bail you out. (For lunch. :) )
It should take you about 8 hours of windshield time to get here so get your ass in the saddle and ride. :) lunch is on me and Libations

Last edited by a moderator:
smile.png
lol.gif
Their own site is not secure! Yep, sounds 'bout right!
lol.gif

You'll still be able to go to MSN, (Via web browser.) you just don't wanta log into your computer with an MSN account; no good comes from that!

I do contract work for the state, 'n get peeps computers where they set it up w/ their MSN account. They have to give me their password to log onto the thing, and instead of just be'in able to log onto the 'puter, now I have access to their email 'n all their shit. Since I'm a reputable redneck, it's OK, cuz I ain't gonna do anything weird, but imagine the snot nosed, pimple faced, little peuke at Best Buy; would you want him have'in access to all yer shit?

And Microsoft who's own shit isn't secure? This is why it's important to create a "local" account that just logs you onto the 'puter.

Not sure how Ray's is set up, (How it's imaged?) it may be that he'll turn it on, 'n it'll just goes to the home screen? Because I can, I just wiped 'n reload and old Optiplex I had lay'in around, 'n took notes; this is loading Win 10 Pro....

nQakWNf.jpg
Maybe JP is gettin in over his head! The last time I put a drive from my old puter into my new puter I started it up and it recognized it and assigned it a drive letter and when I needed my old shit I would just go to drive "K" and fetch it. This was using Windows 7 Professional. We agree on that CORTANA BS though, I got my Mom a laptop for Christmas and all this shit started popping up and the first thing I did was went in and disabled all that crap and made Internet Explorer really hard to find.

The new to me box is a TURD. hooked it up and turned on the power and it kept saying there was a problem and had to restart. after watching that for awhile ( kinda like Arlo Guthrie listening to the time on the phone) I turned it off and back on it said doing a self repair and then back to the repetitive restart thing. I'll see how to return it in the morning. I'm not interested in trying to fix something before it can be used. It should at least work when recieved.
angry01.gif
angry01.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The new to me box is a TURD. hooked it up and turned on the power and it kept saying there was a problem and had to restart. after watching that for awhile ( kinda like Arlo Guthrie listening to the time on the phone) I turned it off and back on it said doing a self repair and then back to the repetitive restart thing. I'll see how to return it in the morning. I'm not interested in trying to fix something before it can be used. It should at least work when recieved.
angry01.gif
angry01.gif
Well that sucks! I've bought a bunch of used 'puters off fleabay, 'n never had a problem. (Wait, come to think of it, I did have one like yours once, 'n I just did a clean install of the OS.) Suonds like they botched the image; it's prolly a software/OS problem as posed to hardware.

You should contact the seller, 'n tell 'em how pissed you are, 'n you want 'em to send you another next day air, or you'll give 'em a bad review.

I can fix it, but can't get up there 'till 7/2 at the soonest. I could also send you a thumb drive with Windows 10, 'n walk you through a clean install? If you learn computer shit, you can fix friends 'n family computers 'n be real popular.
punk.gif

Contacting the seller is the first order this morning and light a fire in their shorts. I'm sure it's fixable but it should work out of the box. Your offer is very generous and I will keep you posted. I have no urge fix computers. I already have enough freeloaders wanting shit fixed. :)

Contacting the seller is the first order this morning and light a fire in their shorts. I'm sure it's fixable but it should work out of the box. Your offer is very generous and I will keep you posted. I have no urge fix computers. I already have enough freeloaders wanting shit fixed.
smile.png
Like a Jewish boy who just finished a pulled pork sandwich, I feel guilty recommending a 'puter that doesn't even work. Hope the seller takes good care of you, or I'll have ta ride up there.
rockwoot.gif

Computers, like cats, always work better underwater.
bleh.gif

giphy.gif

Well the second box got here today. Haven't plugged it in yet but assuming it works is there a quick and SIMPLE way to transfer files and acct info. I have a Belkin easy transfer cable but it is for Xp or Vista to win 7.

Will it work for windows 10 machines???

Do I physically remove the drive from the old box and install it in the new box and then transfer stuff ???

I would like to do it myself to learn something but if it's a pain in the ass then I'm out.

Help a dummy and I'll buy the beer at the Reuben