Concours 1400P

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister
Reaction score
Beaudry Motors, Post Falls, ID is making a Concours 1400P that is certified by Kawasaki. IOW, they did the work with the full support of the manufacturer. This means that it will be backed by the Kawi warranty and can be serviced by any Kawasaki dealer.

They're already being used by ID State Police and Woodburn Oregon PD (pics in the opening link). California Highway Patrol is in testing and, pending completion of their trials, could order 350 of them.

If these prove as successful as the KZ1000-P that were around for decades, this could put a dent in the BMW market.

Er...uhm...keep a close eye on your mirrors!

[SIZE=8pt]It almost makes one wonder why a company like Yamaha wouldn't design an engine with a larger alternator for a market that requires extra electronic components. Of course, they may not have planned/wanted to sell that many of these motorcycles. [/SIZE]

What do I know about producing products for a larger market, anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure some will see this as more of a challenge. Running from a BMW or Harley was becoming mundane.

Just looking at the pics, with all the "cop stuff" added, I'd guess it'll tip the scales at nearly 1,000 lbs!

Just looking at the pics, with all the "cop stuff" added, I'd guess it'll tip the scales at nearly 1,000 lbs!
Kinda like my FJR packed for touring....then add the svelte pilot and... :rolleyes:

The police departments have certain requirements on their spec sheets and there isn't much one can do to lighten the bike. Still, the C-14 could prove to be a better choice than the ST1300P or the Beemer, depending on reliability and maintenance.

I'm just starting to read the MCN: Police Bikes Evaluated, Pt.II. Maintenance seems to be a big money issue with the BMWs.

I looooove drama!

Kinda like my FJR packed for touring....then add the svelte pilot and... :rolleyes:

The police departments have certain requirements on their spec sheets and there isn't much one can do to lighten the bike. Still, the C-14 could prove to be a better choice than the ST1300P or the Beemer, depending on reliability and maintenance.

I'm just starting to read the MCN: Police Bikes Evaluated, Pt.II. Maintenance seems to be a big money issue with the BMWs.

I looooove drama!

IIRC maintenance costs are a very large component to police department decisions, and the Kawi is expensive to maintain, in relative terms. I wonder why Yamaha never brought the FJR police model used in Europe to the US? It would bring additional dollars to their dealerships during tough times...

IIRC maintenance costs are a very large component to police department decisions, and the Kawi is expensive to maintain, in relative terms.
In the article the maintenance figures for the BMWs are one of their problems AND dealing with BMW on warranty issues.

They were warping brake drums (that never happened on the KZ100P) and now they have accumulated enough miles (40-50K) that drive line problems are rearing their ugly heads (Imagine that!).

With the former, BMW says they are a wear item.

With the latter, BMW is not acknowledging the issue:$800 in parts and labor of $700-$1200. That's $1500-$2000!

One of the quotes in the article states that dealing with the BMW factory is a "my way or the highway" attitude.

That is the straw that's breaking the camel's back and why AZ (Arizona DPS) is looking at the Honda.

Kawi is just going to be another player in the game.

I wonder why Yamaha never brought the FJR police model used in Europe to the US? It would bring additional dollars to their dealerships during tough times...
Yes, Michael, I agree. That's why I put this on the bottom of one of my posts:

It almost makes one wonder why a company like Yamaha wouldn't design an engine with a larger alternator for a market that requires extra electronic components. Of course, they may not have planned/wanted to sell that many of these motorcycles.What do I know about producing products for a larger market, anyway?
Considering that CHP would order 350 bikes?!?!?! :blink:

Arizona's initial order was 60 BMWs. Honda couldn't deliver that many at one time.

Maybe Yamaha doesn't have that many to deliver to fulfill an order...IF the bike could meet the specs and pass the testing (read: powering the lights, radios and sirens, etc.).

It sufre is an interesting turn of events. I wish Kawi all the luck in the world in pulling this off.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC maintenance costs are a very large component to police department decisions, and the Kawi is expensive to maintain, in relative terms.
...dealing with the BMW factory is a "my way or the highway" attitude.

That is the straw that's breaking the camel's back and why AZ (Arizona DPS) is looking at the Honda.
I spoke with a NM MotorPatrol Officer last summer and he said NM was getting either Honda ST1300s or Kawi C-14s. He said he wasn't sure if the Kawis would meet the (factory-made) requirements? But, that would be his preferrence...

He said his R1150/1200RT-P services cost $600 each (at the only BMW dealer in the state). And his had the cylinder studs pull-out of the crankcase...!

He seemed elated at the prospect.

It almost makes one wonder why a company like Yamaha wouldn't design an engine with a larger alternator for a market that requires extra electronic components. Of course, they may not have planned/wanted to sell that many of these motorcycles.
...IF the bike could meet the specs and pass the testing (read: powering the lights, radios and sirens, etc.).
Electrical supply (alternator wattage) is certainly one of the prime requirements for police duty. I was once at the service dept. of San Jose BMW when two Chippies came in inquiring about one of their RT-Ps. Apparently it was in for the 'um-teenth' time for electrical/charging failure (it had 2 batteries on-board).

I was kinda worried one of them might get agitated enough to force the issue (I think I saw him put his hand on his service weapon?...j/k).

But, to them, I'm sure it's serious business... :unsure:

image03.jpg

Given how hard it is to change the Connie's plugs, and how often the schedule requires it, the mechs for the force are gonna be hatin' life.

Given how hard it is to change the Connie's plugs, and how often the schedule requires it, the mechs for the force are gonna be hatin' life.
Until they establish their own schedule based on real life needs.

They may find that they get twice the mileage suggested by Kawasaki. Like any other fleet managers, they'll graph problems and institute mileage centers for replacement beforehand.

Uh...so I think. What do I really know, anyhow?

NUTHIN'!

Ha-ha, OM & Bust, I beat you to it!

We might not be able to outrun 'em, but we can sure out MPG 'em. Just ignore the lights and siren 'til they run outta gas. :D

Latest posts