Considering a canyon play bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
For some time now I've been considering getting a stablemate for the FJR. Something a bit lighter and more nimble (to compensate for me becoming heavier and less nimble).

I've been keeping an eye on these two: a 1999 VFR 800 https://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-1999-Honda-Interceptor-W0QQAdIdZ509483562

and an '02 Sprint RS https://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-SAVE-NOW-ON-THIS-2002-Triumph-Sprint-W0QQAdIdZ486734865

I would appreciate any comments from the peanut gallery on the pros and cons of these two.

Should I just forget the idea and learn to be less of a pussy on the FJR?
smile.png

Thanks.

Al.

There aren't any cons on the VFR, that was the last gear driven motor before Honda decided to take a great step backward and bless the VFR with the V-Tec. A gentleman's sport bike and comfortable enough to tour on.

Yamaha FZ-8, or the new FZ-09. The new FZ-09 looks like it will be an absolute hoot. It will be my next bike.

My money would be on the FZ-09. Yamaha priced it right and loaded it with tasty options. Give it some thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't any cons on the VFR, that was the last gear driven motor before Honda decided to take a great step backward and bless the VFR with the V-Tec. A gentleman's sport bike and comfortable enough to tour on.
Thanks Steve. I didn't know that.

Yamaha FZ-8, or the new FZ-09. The new FZ-09 looks like it will be an absolute hoot. It will be my next bike.
Thanks Greg, a bit out of my price range. Hey wait a minute, do you now have a hidden agenda?
smile.png

I am 100% biased, but I would buy a VFR (again) in a heartbeat. Yes I still own one (sort of). Mine is a '98. For a sporty ST bike used for one up riding it really can't be beat. These days my son has the Viffer and garages and rides it up in Vermont, but I still have a soft spot for it, and get to see and ride it now and then.

IMO the best series of VFRs was the 5th gens, 1998 thru 2001. The V4 engine, w/ gear driven cams, the exhaust sound (especially with that staintune pipe) and overall power delivery (this is a high rpm bike) is intoxicating. Like the FJR, this bike has very few foibles, and they can all be addressed quite easily. And it's a Honda, so you know what that means in terms of reliability and dealer network / support. The Triumph, not so much.

It's 100 lbs lighter than an FJR, and it completely feels it. The steering is sportier, the hardparts are higher, the stock suspension is better (though like any bike, it could always use some aftermarket goodness). Just get those peg lowerers off of there the instant you buy it. They are a bad idea. The rest of the farkles sound great.

Get used to the higher footpegs, slap some sport bike tires on there and you can strafe some seriously nice turns and never drag any metal parts. Keep the rpms up and you'll never lose the ear to ear grin.

If you get serious about this one, PM me and I'll be glad to go through the "must fix" list with you. Some of it may have already been done.

I am 100% biased, but I would buy a VFR (again) in a heartbeat. Yes I still own one (sort of). Mine is a '98. For a sporty ST bike used for one up riding it really can't be beat. These days my son has the Viffer and garages and rides it up in Vermont, but I still have a soft spot for it, and get to see and ride it now and then.
IMO the best series of VFRs was the 5th gens, 1998 thru 2001. The V4 engine, w/ gear driven cams, the exhaust sound (especially with that staintune pipe) and overall power delivery (this is a high rpm bike) is intoxicating. Like the FJR, this bike has very few foibles, and they can all be addressed quite easily. And it's a Honda, so you know what that means in terms of reliability and dealer network / support. The Triumph, not so much.

It's 100 lbs lighter than an FJR, and it completely feels it. The steering is sportier, the hardparts are higher, the stock suspension is better (though like any bike, it could always use some aftermarket goodness). Just get those peg lowerers off of there the instant you buy it. They are a bad idea. The rest of the farkles sound great.

Get used to the higher footpegs, slap some sport bike tires on there and you can strafe some seriously nice turns and never drag any metal parts. Keep the rpms up and you'll never lose the ear to ear grin.

If you get serious about this one, PM me and I'll be glad to go through the "must fix" list with you. Some of it may have already been done.
Thanks Fred, you make some very good points.

I think the Triumph is off the list, for the reasons you mention - I was dazzled by the bright yellow.
smile.png

Hoping to make it to Tacoma this weekend, then look at the VFR on the way home. I'm actually surprised it is still for sale.

Al.

I'm just looking for the right opportunity to pick up a VFR. I got to ride one this year and fell in lust with it. Unfortunately, I just bought a GSXR 750...like 15 minutes ago...so now I have to work on fixing a few bikes up and selling them before I have room for another long term bike.

Actually, after attending the vintage bike show this weekend, I'm now leaning towards this:https://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-touring-SIDECAR-BIKE-TRADE-for-DOMINGO-SAMBAR-VW-STYLE-W0QQAdIdZ505218837

Must be hormonal
rolleyes.gif

Al.
Won't be carving many canyons with that rig.
rolleyes.gif

I thought the nostalgia of the old Beemers was pretty cool and sought out a /5 that was in reasonable, un-restored condition. I eventually found one, a 1973 Long Wheel Base R60 and it was just up the road in Lee New Hampshire. Price was reasonable so I went for it. Here's what it looked like at the time of purchase:

BMWR60-51.jpg

Can't really tell from the crappy pictures I glommed off of the Craigs List Ad, but it was just a tad dirty, the crash bars were tweaked, the aftermarket luggage rack was rusty and also tweaked (from same lay down according to the owner) and a few other cosmetic issues, but in general the bike was all there. And it did not have the ugly toaster tank of which I am definitely not a fan. Also the seat was in serious need of restoration

Had some fun going over everything, adjusting valves, fixing notchy steering, etc. Ripped off the head protector crash bars and rear luggage racks (which I managed to sell off along with the Krauser bags later to folks that wanted them in their existing condition) and replaced the seat with a Corbin Solo sport seat.

It came out looking pretty good. Not a pristine show queen, but a good clean rider.

100_0555q.jpg

But the reason for my post is to tell you that retro looks and nostalgia can be deceiving. Not only did this bike look old, it rode old. I've been spoiled by modern motorcycles made over the past few decades and I did not enjoy riding that bike very much at all. With an anemic 600cc engine, 4 speed transmission that feels like it came out of a Bavarian tractor, dry single plate cable operated clutch, only marginally effective drum brakes... The nostalgic glow ran out in a hurry. It would have been purely a piece of garage jewelry, only to be taken out and ridden on parade day, and that isn't why I have and keep bikes. I prefer to ride them (a lot) and they give me joy in their function not just their looks.

Sold the bike for what I paid and made up for the seat by sell g the bags separately, so it was a wash, but I managed to get that out of my system. I no longer even look at air head BMWs, old BSAs or Triumphs, etc because I know I'd just be disappointed in their rides.