My VFR1200...one year later

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
It was almost exactly one year ago that I totalled what was probably the sexiest '05 FJR in the country. It was a good bike and we'd put on a lot of good miles together. But when I had to decide what to do after the crash, my wife reminded me that the FJR was never really one of my favorite bikes. Honestly, my only real beef with it was that the riding position wasn't nearly sporty enough to offer me truly long range comfort. I'm just that kind of build. It always disheartened me that I could go farther in comfort on ANY of my sportbikes than I could on the Feej. I just can't go all day unless I'm in an "attack" stance on the bike. So what to do??

I'd always been drawn to the Honda VFR1200F. It fit me like a glove, but the price was just ridiculous. The bare bike with no luggage (or centerstand!) cost as much as a well equipped FJR or Kaw C-14. Absurd. But I knew that my local dealer had a couple that had been in the showroom for a LONG time. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the big H was having one of their infamous 'blow them out for a song to clear the warehouse' sales! For $16.5K I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! But for $11.5k, it's a helluva nice bike!
punk.gif
I totalled the feej on Tuesday and signed the papers on a leftover '10 VFR1200 on Friday (late winter of 2012). (Progressive took VERY good care of me!)

The VFR12 factory side cases (an EXPENSIVE option!) were much too small at only 29l apiece. The feej spoiled me in that department and I damn sure wasn't settling for anything smaller. For half the price, I picked up a set of Givi V35 side cases (35l apiece!) and am damn happy with them. As luck would have it, the FJR bag liners fit even better than the Givi bag liners, so I returned the Givis and kept the Yamis.

My name is Dave...and I'm a farkle-aholic. That's why I hate buying a new vehicle...because I can't stop until it's just the way I like. Being a mechanic by trade has it's pros and cons. I don't have to pay anybody else to do my farkles, but I also have no compelling reason to stop until I'm damn sure I'm done. So like every other bike I've owned, the VFR is still a work in progress. I did all the necessities first...luggage, paint protection (Tankslapper full body kit), Fender extender, rear hugger, Honda touring screen, and Powerlet outlets for heated gear. A Corbin seat with backrest (to keep mama happy) and Heli bars. The suspension was pure crap, but I'm an ex-racer, so I expect a lot (the feej had Penske in the rear and Traxxion Dynamics in the front). The VFR is now sporting a Penske out back and fork work is very high on the priority list. Stock BT-021s have GOT to go. They are the worst tires I ever put on the feej, and the Honda came with the bastards from the factory! I've got a set of PR3s on order, which by all accounts absolutely transform the bike. Low speed fueling on the VFR is abominable! The UK got an ECM reflash which is supposed to be a sure cure, but no such lovin' here, so a Two Bros Juice box is also on the to-do list. The bike is absolutely embarrassing to ride at parking lot speeds, since the horrible low-speed fueling just makes the driveshaft clunk so loud even a Harley rider would do a double take. I REALLY want to address that soon.

So I know, it sounds like a real overpriced piece of shit. At MSRP, it is IMHO. For what I paid for it, it's a pretty nice bike. It just needs the average amount of tweaks to be great. It will NEVER have the outstanding wind protection and calm cockpit of the FJR, but man, that riding position is sportier than the feej could ever hope to be. For me, that equates to greater comfort for the long haul. And the low end torque is unbelievable. That big lumpy V-4 pulls out of slow corners like nobody's business. The power is just always there. I must admit I drooled a bit when I started reading about the all new Feej. But I sat on one at the Indy IMS and ergos are still the same, which unfortunately just doesn't work for me. But where I dreaded riding the feej in hot weather, the VFR is cool as a cucumber all the time. Nice. Of course big H hasn't learned from their mistakes and the big Interceptor is still woefully overpriced. And they wonder why the bike doesn't sell. If they put everything in the accessory catalog on it for that price, it would be a grand slam. But that kind of money for a bare bike??? Really??? That's ok. The '12 model gets traction control and that now infamous ECM reflash. In a couple years when those are stacked up in the warehouses, maybe I'll steal one of those too.
rolleyes.gif

IMG_2831.jpg

IMAG0011-1_zpsad96f9a8.jpg

Riding position comfort is definitely a major consideration for longer range riding. V4 engines promise to deliver the best of both worlds: V twin torque and inline 4 top end. I own a VMAX, I can relate. V4 engines are more expensive to design and manufacture. I considered the VFR. And as your post noted they aren't selling very well and as a result they are a bargain. My problem with the VFR are it's love it or hate it looks and its confusing purpose. What is it?
smile.png
Which is why I believe it doesn't sell well. The new VFR doesn't convey a "gotta have it functional role" in its looks. Granted the FJR is a mix as a sport tourer but a person knows that right away once they see it.

The VFR is heavy, gets mediocre gas mileage, has somewhat of a smaller tank, and its seat isn't very long distance friendly for the passenger. But every professional reviewer loves its engine and balance. Its most certainly a cutting edge motorcycle in many aspects.

Between you and me the Honda ST with its V4 engine is in major need of an update. Once that happens it will sell like Honda Civics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your Veefulo. I looked at one when I totaled my '05 VFR. Like you, I couldn't get over the price for a new one. I'm still scratching my head over the decision to go from an 800 to the 1200. Maybe once the ST gets redesigned, that midsize bike will return. Maybe.

In a few years, I'll may take another look at a used 1200. But for now, it's the FJR for me.

bike.gif

Honda thinks their bikes are the cat's meow... just look at the price of the ST1300. My local dealer has two VFR1200's also both at prices similar to what you got yours for.

The bags you put on it look better than the factory ones, IMHO. Better luggage capacity and 1/2 cost... done deal if I ever some how end up with this bike (not out of the question) I will be referring back to this thread.

On your FJR did you chrome the wheels?

Good luck with the VFR.

Nice report on the VFR. Sorry the FJR did not work out for you. Good to know the VFR did.

As an old fart, at 57 years of age, my bod, unlike yours, is happy on the FJR; Heli riser required.

Riding position comfort is definitely a major consideration for longer range riding. V4 engines promise to deliver the best of both worlds: V twin torque and inline 4 top end. I own a VMAX, I can relate. V4 engines are more expensive to design and manufacture. I considered the VFR. And as your post noted they aren't selling very well and as a result they are a bargain. My problem with the VFR are it's love it or hate it looks and its confusing purpose. What is it?
smile.png
Which is why I believe it doesn't sell well. The new VFR doesn't convey a "gotta have it functional role" in its looks. Granted the FJR is a mix as a sport tourer but a person knows that right away once they see it.
The VFR is heavy, gets mediocre gas mileage, has somewhat of a smaller tank, and its seat isn't very long distance friendly for the passenger. But every professional reviewer loves its engine and balance. Its most certainly a cutting edge motorcycle in many aspects.

Between you and me the Honda ST with its V4 engine is in major need of an update. Once that happens it will sell like Honda Civics.
The VFR is about 50 lbs lighter than the FJR, even with the Givi luggage (which is feathery light) and not nearly as top heavy as the feej. Fuel economy on the VFR is AWFUL around town, but goes up quite a bit out on the road. Fuel tank is relatively small making for a relatively short cruising range...probably the single biggest complaint about the bike for most. I've had to learn to adjust. The FJR stock seat would put my ass to sleep in under 100 miles, which is why I went with a Sargeant. I just wish I'd had more options for a backrest for the wife. Corbin was the ONLY game in town, unless I wanted to do a top case, which I didn't. The FJR was always a little scary for me in parking lot manuevers with the wife on the back, as I'm not a very big guy. The VFR carries the bulk of its weight low, so much more manageable.

Honda thinks their bikes are the cat's meow... just look at the price of the ST1300. My local dealer has two VFR1200's also both at prices similar to what you got yours for.
The bags you put on it look better than the factory ones, IMHO. Better luggage capacity and 1/2 cost... done deal if I ever some how end up with this bike (not out of the question) I will be referring back to this thread.

On your FJR did you chrome the wheels?

Good luck with the VFR.
Previous owner chromed them. I loved the look, but the chrome was starting to flake, as is inevitable with chrome plated alloys.

Those are 2 sweet looking bikes! The givi's look great on your VFR. Nice navy blue Mercedes, too. lol.

My Co-worker has a first year VFR1200 which I've ridden. VERY nice bike, but, for me, the riding position is to stretched out (I'm 5'9") but for him 6'8" I believe, its one of the few bikes that doesn't make him feel like he's riding a mini-bike.

He just bought the Honda bag kit, but went through *4* of them before he got a set that wasn't defective in some way (most were cracked from the factory!). He's got that bottom end fueling problem though and is working with the dealer to get the ECM re-flash done when it comes out of storage in the spring.

He's bringing it down to SE Ohio with me in the Spring. He's never ridden roads as flat, straight and boring as the roads in SE Ohio before. Should be fun! Hope your there on your VFR, you guys can talk Honda.

I got to take a long test ride on the VFR after it sat in the dealer's showroom for a year and Honda offered them a big incentive to make it a demo. I really liked the engine, it wasn't as smooth or as fast as my ZX-14 but it was fun to ride and had more power than one needs in real world riding. The suspension, however, was horrible, the worst I had enountered in the last 10 years. The simple fix for the shock was to replace it but I didn't know what to do with the forks except to spend a lot of time having them re-sprung and re-valved and I wasn't in the mood since the VFR was so overpriced. One of my friends later test rode it because he didn't believe the suspension could be as bad as I described but his assessment was the same. I heard the guy who eventually bought that bike was really happy with his purchase and didn't change a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good detail, thanks!
I think our slow friend, Petey, has one in his arsenal and really likes it.
I asked Petey about the suspension when we were in Castlegar and he seemed to be OK with it; maybe the solution is less weight and more speed, but several of the VFR owners on STN.net have spent a lot of time and $$$ trying to get the suspension dialed in.

My Co-worker has a first year VFR1200 which I've ridden. VERY nice bike, but, for me, the riding position is to stretched out (I'm 5'9") but for him 6'8" I believe, its one of the few bikes that doesn't make him feel like he's riding a mini-bike.
He just bought the Honda bag kit, but went through *4* of them before he got a set that wasn't defective in some way (most were cracked from the factory!). He's got that bottom end fueling problem though and is working with the dealer to get the ECM re-flash done when it comes out of storage in the spring.

He's bringing it down to SE Ohio with me in the Spring. He's never ridden roads as flat, straight and boring as the roads in SE Ohio before. Should be fun! Hope your there on your VFR, you guys can talk Honda.

Unfortunately, he's not gonna get that reflash in this country. They'll just look at him like he's lost his mind and have no idea what he's talking about. Us 'mercuns have to resort to a PC V, Juice box, or Bazazz Z-FI to remedy it. I plan to get a Juice box soon.

I got to take a long test ride on the VFR after it sat in the dealer's showroom for a year and Honda offered them a big incentive to make it a demo. I really liked the engine, it wasn't as smooth or as fast as my ZX-14 but it was fun to ride and had more power than one needs in real world riding. The suspension, however, was horrible, the worst I had enountered in the last 10 years. The simple fix for the shock was to replace it but I didn't know what to do with the forks except to spend a lot of time having them re-sprung and re-valved and I wasn't in the mood since the VFR was so overpriced. One of my friends later test rode it because he didn't believe the suspension could be as bad as I described but his assessment was the same. I heard the guy who bought eventually bought that bike was really happy with his purchase and didn't change a thing.
It all depends on how much you ask of your bike. I weigh 160, so pretty light by guy standards. My boss is a VERY big man (5'9" and well over 350 I'm sure). He bought an ST1300 last year, so I jones'd the keys from him and took it for a ride. The suspension was set ridiculously soft even for me and I weigh less than half what he does. I said something about dialing up some preload and he said he didn't see anything wrong with the bike as it was. If you don't corner fast, the suspension just doesn't need to be great. I have the preload on the VFR cranked all the way and the forks still bottom regularly with my narrow ass on it in normal riding to and from work. Yeah...it needs springs pretty bad. I don't know if the stock valving will handle stiffer springs or not, which leaves me in a quandary about whether to just do springs, or go for the full meal deal.

Good detail, thanks!
I think our slow friend, Petey, has one in his arsenal and really likes it.
I asked Petey about the suspension when we were in Castlegar and he seemed to be OK with it; maybe the solution is less weight and more speed, but several of the VFR owners on STN.net have spent a lot of time and $$$ trying to get the suspension dialed in.

See all of the above...........