Considering a garage queen, pros and cons.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot5

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting another FJR after not having one since I got rid of my 07 in 2012. I love the styling and features of the 2013 plus models and while there hasn't been a huge update for a few years the discounts available on leftover 23 and new 24 bikes make them a decent bang for your buck machine. I also like to save money as much as the next guy so I've kept an eye open for clean used bikes too.

Ran across a 2013 model on Craigslist at a dealer a couple hours away and took a ride over to check it out a couple days ago. I can't link the post since it has expired but in a nutshell,
One owner 2013 FJR1300.
10,726 miles.
No damage history.
Rear suspension lowered 1 1/2 inches.
Selling dealer is the dealer that sold it originally. The bike was serviced annually by this dealer and he has records.
Asking $6,999.

I looked it over as good as I could without dragging it outside and crawling all over it with a flashlight or taking things apart. I don't see any indication it was every dropped. Peg feelers, bar ends, bags, levers etc. are all perfect. Lowering links installed are adjustable but I don't know if they can be adjusted back to the stock ride height or if they would need to be replaced. There is an aftermarket side stand installed and the sales guy didn't know if they had the stock side stand or not. It wasn't in either saddlebag. I didn't think to look inside the tank but would before doing a deal. A test ride was offered but I declined as it was close to closing and I needed to get headed home anyway. I turned on the key and the dash lit up normally.

Battery replaced in 2022.
Tires replaced in 2016. Lots of tread left but will need replaced due to age. Only the second set of tires ever on this bike.
Small scratches on both mirrors. Looks like it touched the garage wall when parked.
Grips are very worn. Looks like they were run on high a lot as they kind of have a cooked look and feel to them.
Chrome strip is coming off one of the bags.

To bring the bike back to pristine condition it would take the following.
Left mirror - 162.67
Right Mirror - 170.42
Side Stand - 124.05
Rear dog bones - 14.52 each (2 required)
Left grip - 119.11
Right grip - 123.66
Saddlebag chrome strip - 57.15
Tires - 500.00
Total - 1286.10

Here's what I'm thinking so far.

Pros
Appears in very good condition with a maintenance history.
Love the color of the 2013 model.
Good price, especially for being at a dealer.
Dealer is willing to take my current bike on trade.

Cons
It appears in great condition but you can't see everything and it is 11 years old and has spent a lot of it's life sitting.
No idea what it looks like behind the fairing. Do these bikes corrode if put away wet and not ridden often?
Cruise is limited to 80mph.
No slipper clutch or 6th gear (I understand the slipper clutch can be retrofit).
10,726 miles closer to the first valve check than a new bike.
General concern about the condition of hoses, seals, suspension components, ABS pump and so on.
If I get it, keep it 4 years and put 40,000 miles on it, it'll be a 15 year old bike with 50,000 miles. Is it worth anything at that point? Purchase price is low but resale won't be much.
Will it be a huge project? Will I spend lots of time cleaning and greasing dried out bearings etc.
No warranty.

Finances allow me to go either new or used.

I'm interested in your thoughts. Here's pictures of the bike.

My take on it...

Unlikely that you will have issues with hoses, seals, suspension components or ABS.
I would do a full service and just ride it.
I wouldn't replace the mirrors - it isn't a new bike. A bit of polish or touchup paint maybe...
You can probably pick up a sidestand for cheap on eBay. Maybe dogbones too.
If the grips are badly worn, it seems to me that I saw a thin heat-shrink covering somewhere??? That, or Grip Buddies will work.
Are the tires totaled? Might put that one off until needed.
Valve check isn't a big deal to do yourself if you are moderately mechanically adept.

The 80 MPH CC limit can be dealt with by the "Ivan ECU Flash" . Also makes other improvements (according to most who have had it done).
Is LED lighting important to you?
What about electronically adjustable suspension?

Definitely check out the tank for corrosion and go over the whole bike with a fine-tooth comb. Seller might be willing to negotiate some of the stuff.

I wouldn't have a moment of hesitation. I purchased a 06 with 14K, hadn't run in 12 YEARS! Runs like a top. Haven't done anything to the motor, injectors, or fuel system; besides fuel additive. I concur with your laundry list of upgrades; it'll still be worth good money when you sell it. I completely serviced the rear suspension, all pristine. RaceTech in CA. rebuilt the OEM shock (Leaking) One fork was leaking; but the internals were all perfect. They all need something... sometimes... EVEN new ones! Best of luck.
I also replaced the front wheel bearings. Easy Peasy!

Pete-o

P.S. Came with the side cases, just not pictured.

Attachments

• IMG_1704 FJR.jpg
    IMG_1704 FJR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I also bought the '13 last year. It had 6800 miles with the only blemish being the FJR on the right bag was gone. Heres my take. If the mirrors bother you swap them out for $35 with the FZ1 mirrors so you don't look at your elbows. The grips are up to you since I use Grip Puppies I do not see the grips anyway. As far as the bike. I had to replace the wheels on mine too. They were originals. I don't think you will go wrong and its a fair price

This bike is for sale from a respected member. It would be my choice over what you're looking at.

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/14-fjr-es.159361/
It gives you the electronic suspension with USD forks, no cruise limit, nice red color and similar condition. More miles but not a lot by FJR standards. Might want to see if the first valve check has been done. Both bikes are a good value...

Last edited:
That red is lovely...

However 'yours' looks very nice too...

Mirrors- Get a touch-up kit from Ebay in the right colour that includes lacquer and just take your time touching it in, letting it dry thoroughly between coats- 3-4 thin coats of paint, then the same of lacquer. Just did mine in 24hrs and it's almost invisible.

Grips and the rest- Just have a look on Ebay and I'm sure you'll find it all either new or used.

Give it an oil/air filter service

Buy it, stop worrying about residual values etc., and go and ride it...

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like age shouldn't be much of a concern, just condition.

I wasn't aware that the CC limit could be raised with a flash. That would make a big difference.

I don't care about LED lighting. Nice to not have but not required.

The electronic suspension is a big question mark to me. My last couple bikes have had it and being able to make changes with a button push is handy but I tend to settle on a setting I like and then leave it there unless the load changes dramatically, like having the bags full for a trip. I never ride with a passenger. I recall on my 07 keeping the preload set to hard at all times and still being able to easily drag the pegs and I'm not that big of a guy. 220lbs geared up. A non ES bike like this 13 would be easier to update to better suspension components if I feel the need but I might like the ES suspension better right from the get go. Hard to say without getting a ride on an ES bike.

I think I'd like the slipper clutch for the lighter clutch pull and the 6 speed gearbox. I remember trying to upshift my 07 into 6th a lot of times. A deal breaker, probably not, but it would be nice to have.

I don't scrimp on tires. They would be getting changed.

I have looked at some private sale bikes online but that eliminates my ability to trade. I don't really want to mess with trying to sell my Ducati outright.

Anyone know what this bracket is?

Rack.jpg

I might continue to look around. My 2019 with 7K was just about a hundred dollars or so more than the listing above. And it was also through a dealer, in St. Louis. Came with one of those locking gas cap Givi tank bags and a top case too. Depends on how far you are willing to go also I suppose. I did fly up one way to STL from Dallas and then rode it home, little over 700 miles. Good luck!

I am of the mindset that any FJR that has been ridden and taken care of an d not showing signs of wear other than tires if priced right is a good deal. FJR's are reliable machines on the average and very versatile. I have had three Gen 2 A bikes and all had upgraded suspension. Is the ES worth the extra cost? To me it is now because I do group rides and 2 UP within the same day sometimes. Very easy to change suspension settings and the ES is very good, not perfect but good. If I was not into 2UP riding I personally would go with the A model and upgraded suspension. Forget about odometer mileage and resale value. Just ride it and enjoy.

I might continue to look around. My 2019 with 7K was just about a hundred dollars or so more than the listing above. And it was also through a dealer, in St. Louis. Came with one of those locking gas cap Givi tank bags and a top case too. Depends on how far you are willing to go also I suppose. I did fly up one way to STL from Dallas and then rode it home, little over 700 miles. Good luck!
That seems like an exceptional deal. I found a bike almost identical to the one I posted at the Ducati dealer in Milwaukee and they were asking $10,000. I didn't call, at that price I'd go new. I wouldn't do a fly and ride but I'd drive a day for the right bike.

I also bought the '13 last year. It had 6800 miles with the only blemish being the FJR on the right bag was gone. Heres my take. If the mirrors bother you swap them out for $35 with the FZ1 mirrors so you don't look at your elbows. The grips are up to you since I use Grip Puppies I do not see the grips anyway. As far as the bike. I had to replace the wheels on mine too. They were originals. I don't think you will go wrong and its a fair price
Assume you meant “replace tires”, not wheels.

I am of the mindset that any FJR that has been ridden and taken care of an d not showing signs of wear other than tires if priced right is a good deal. FJR's are reliable machines on the average and very versatile. I have had three Gen 2 A bikes and all had upgraded suspension. Is the ES worth the extra cost? To me it is now because I do group rides and 2 UP within the same day sometimes. Very easy to change suspension settings and the ES is very good, not perfect but good. If I was not into 2UP riding I personally would go with the A model and upgraded suspension. Forget about odometer mileage and resale value. Just ride it and enjoy.
Interesting to get your take on an A vs ES bike as you've had both. There was a post in the "The best year for the FJR1300" thread from the owner of a 23 model that thought the ES was as good as the aftermarket suspenders he put on his 06 bike.

The ES has 21 different settings for suspension, 7 in each mode of HARD, STANDARD or SOFT. The front springs don't allow for preload adjustment, set up from the factory for a 200 lb rider , give or take. If you weigh less or more the damping rate might not be ideal for you so you would have to change the spring rate. My 09 had upgraded valving and springs to match my weight and the rear setup was a non emulsion shock with high and low speed damping and rebound adjustments with remote preload. Hyperpro no longer makes that shock. I carried a 115 lb pillion and simply cranked up the preload. But that set up wasn't ideal either because my initial set up was for me and the way I rode. Everything is a trade off. I just find the ES to be the best of both worlds (with limitations) for me.