Continued TPS Failures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so you guys lost me in the posts above. So what was the outcome of whether or not the PC taps into the TPS position sensor on the FJR. The PC needs to get this signal from somewhere. The applications that I have first hand experience with tapped into the TPS signal wire with an insulation displacement tap connector which was notably unreliable. The FJR does not have this separate wire. The tap connector was junked and the wire was soldered and insulated with shrink sleeve. Again, that was the connector that I called cheesy. The injector connectors were fine. I set the TPS range on both of these bikes by turning the ignition ON (not running)and setting the LOW and HIGH endpoints with the PC software on a laptop. In these applications the injectors were not firing during this process, so there were no pulses to detect.

OK so you guys lost me in the posts above. So what was the outcome of whether or not the PC taps into the TPS position sensor on the FJR...
Apparently the PC III does interrupt the connector that has the TPS signal. I'm out of this game until I return from New England's NERDS in Stowe, Vt.

So I seem to be chasing an old gremlin.

A while back I was fighting a rough running engine and it seems to be back. Just sync'd the carbs and it's still rough...around 1,500-4,000RPM.

Last time this happened it was either corroding plug wire and/or failing spark plugs. though it fixed the problem, doing both at the same time (last time) prevented me from determining which may have caused the roughness.

Now, nearly 20,000 miles later I have the same problem. Guess I'll repeat those steps and see if the problem vanishes...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that the TPS signal wire DOES go through the PCIII on a 2nd Gen Bike. I don't believe it modifies it or anything, but it goes in/out of the unit.

Joe

I can confirm that the TPS signal wire DOES go through the PCIII on a 2nd Gen Bike. I don't believe it modifies it or anything, but it goes in/out of the unit.

Joe
Thanks Joe, that was my suspicion based on prior experience on other bikes. On those applications the PCIII just tapped into it with a high impedance sense line, probably with a buffer amp and perhaps some filtering. This would not modify the signal passing through to the OEM ECU.