Convince Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two cents ....

1) If you can scrape any hard parts on a Gen3, you will have my everlasting respect. Whatever suspension settings you choose.

2) MV Motorrad riser plate went on within two weeks -- and I'm a cheapskate. Fits well now Cruise control is ..... well, really, really nice.

Oh yeah, I've lusted after a boxer BMW since I was 17; still do, sometimes. Bought the FJR.

For perspective, those SoCal twisty roads were often decreasing radius and bumpy which upset my 2004 Gen1 suspension and caused LH side centerstand tang to drag and lever up the rear wheel too! Not a happy thing, so I'd crank up the rear passenger preload lever to increase ground clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm is a similar seat as DezzertRider.

I have a 2005 with 65K and been wanting something different but keep coming back to my FJR as the ultimate ride I've ever owned.

That said, my bike is setup just right so IF I decide on a new 14-or-15 FJR one thing I will need to do is raise the bars. Mine has double risers, can double risers be done on the new GenIII's?

After that a Russell may be in my future.

@ Top_Speed 1:

And... Gas must be cheap right now
wink.png
, as nobody mentioned the better mileage. Riding along on several trips with all of the Gen's, the Gen1 gets (got) the worse mileage easily.

For comparison, with my '05 FJR, 62K miles, my avg MPG is 44 riding single, 160 lbs. If I'm really twisting the throttle and/or in town, the MPG drops to 41 MPG. If I'm being very steady on the highway at 65 mph, the MPG is 48-51.

I owned the Gen 2 FJR for about 4 years and 50k miles and just recently purchased the Gen 3 ES version on the same day my ridding buddy bought the new water-head RT. I currently have 3k miles on the new bike and believe I can fairly compare and contrast the Gen2 and Gen 3, so here goes: The first thing I noticed is the improved looks of the new bike, it has a more modern headlight shape and LED outlined reflectors that improve running visibility, otherwise the profile was the same with different holes in the fairing. When first mounting the 2014 I am greeted with a nicely updated display with three customization display menus that offer information such as OAT, coolant temperature, trip odometer, range, fuel level in addition to the always available gear indicator and clock. My backside is also greeted with a change as the new seat is initially firmer than the 2006 seat and also feels a little wider, although that may be more a function of the seat height being somewhat taller in the high position when the electronically adjustable suspension is in one of the stiffer of four main options for preload.

Start the engine and every sound coming from the bike is the same as before, with one exception in my case, the idle is just a touch higher on the new bike as compared to what I had set on the older one. Putting the bike in first gear and I noticed that the initial travel of the gear change lever is less and somewhat smoother than the previous generation bike, although I wonder if that is simply the difference of a box with 50k miles on it as compared to a new one? As I pulled away, it was clear that the new bike had a clutch friction zone that starts much further out on the lever than before, again I wonder if it has really changed because of changes in the new bike or did I simply have the old one setup differently with the adjustable levers? I needed less than 2 more gear changes to confirm that the new machine feels like it has changes made inside the gearbox, it is both a shorter and smoother throw for the gear change lever and somewhere between that and the clutch, I feel the difference in the overall drive-line smoothness. Interesting since I never had an issue with the old bikes vibration or feeling. While revving the engine up for gear changes, it is also notable smoother or at bare minimum the engine has its natural harmonic vibrations further up the rpm scale and the amplitude has been somewhat dampened. Part of that dampening may also be the softer foot peg rubbers on the new bike, where the older one had a much harder rubber pads to rest my feet on. Continuing on through to 5th gear, I notice no gearing difference which I don't believe has changed from the Gen 2 bike.

During a longer ride in cool weather I don't believe I can feel any significant difference in the overall wind protection of the new fairing, however the airflow is different. On the older bike I would catch some cold air flow higher and more topside on my legs where the new bike seems to direct it lower and further toward the outside of the upper part of my legs. The windscreen itself however is a different animal. The new bike has smoother airflow over and around it with less buffeting and no negative vacuum pulling on me, however it seems to let a little more air spill around its right and left edge and I can feel a coolness on my upper arms that was not as evident with the previous bike. That said, since I dress well, its not really a problem and is only slightly noticeable when in the fully upright position. That also reminds me that the new windshield has less shaking movement at speed in all positions as compared with my Gen 2 bike.

The change in the bikes acceleration characteristics is not often mentioned when reading other reviews and its probably because its difficult to really describe. Keeping in mind that the improvement in felt vibration may be skewing the overall sense of the acceleration, I think the drive-by-wire throttle also lends significant influence in acceleration sensations. First, even with a G2 throttle tube and one of the return springs removed on the old bike, it still had a stiffness in rolling the throttle open that the new bike simply does not have. Add to that the T modes slower initial opening rate and the ability of the electronics to keep the air-fuel ratio at optimum throughout the acceleration process, I can best described this bike as rushing forward in a slingshot manner that seems willing to never slow down without intervention by the rider at red line. That is to say, even with a very strong acceleration rate initially where the traction control light is flickering on the display cluster, the bike seems to increase that rate of acceleration even as the speed rises. Now logically I understand that is not what is happening, but that is the sensation I seem to feel in first and second gear. However, I can make that sensation go away by simply putting the bike in the S mode and bingo, it feels very much like the old bike in acceleration with a little less vibration. As a final tidbit on acceleration, I think the two bikes would be very close in a straight head to head run, but I would want the new bike given the choice.

Speaking of the techno stuff, the traction control, updated ABS, cruise and oem heated grips are worth the price of admission after riding a Gen 2 bike. I also like that you can turn the traction control off completely, but to do so you have to put in a little more effort and reach up to the left hand side of the display and push the “Don't Understand My Bike... your asking for trouble and deserve what you get” button, and not just with a single push of some grip control button. Which leads to a few comments on the traction control itself, what a great improvement for street going motorcycles, I think it may increase safety even more than ABS has if you think about how often you are accelerating on a bike as compared to using the brakes at the threshold of tire traction. The traction control system on the Gen 3 is sensitive without being intrusive. In slippery conditions, it allows only a little rear tire slippage, almost imperceptible in a straight line and then intervenes in a very soft manner so as not to create significant weight transfer and upset the bike or rider. You may even notice times when the display light comes on letting you know the traction control system was working, but not feel it through your bike. As for those who like to ride the FJR on one wheel, well not in Touring or Sport mode, you need to reach up push that DUMB button.

Handling on the new bike seems to offer a bit more lean angle before touching down peg feelers but I think that's more likely from a higher ride height when having the preload on two up or two plus luggage. The initial tip into a corner is quicker than the old bike, however I always rode with the Conti Road Attacks on the old bike, which I believe have a rounder profile than the new bikes OEM tires, I'll have a better understanding after going back to my preferred tires with this machine.

Unfortunately, the new bike had poor preparation from the dealer and limited lubrication from the factory. The steering head nut was literally finger tight(loose) when I put a socket on it, sans a ratchet or extension. The triple tree nut was not any tighter and although the steering head bearings looked like they had enough grease to hold the balls in the race, it certainly was not enough. I mean really Yamaha, if you think using a tapered bearing assembly is over kill for the application, shouldn't you at least be generous with the grease you use for your chosen bearing and not behave as if the grease was some form of high cost gold or platinum, same for the splines in the drive train.

Having purchased the personally less appealing Red bike as compared to the Gen 2 Blue, I have too say this is a very nice upgrade. Being able to somewhat customize the appearance of the bike by purchasing different colored OEM plastic pieces at reasonable prices is good and I have grown accustom to the Redhead.

So what your saying is the Gen III is a bunch of bells and whistles, other than that, not much differance.

As far as "CRUISE CONTROL", my $100 aftermarket cruise control works just fine up to any speed I choose.( Including highly Ilegal speeds that only AJ has achieved).