Convince Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '03 has cruise, GPS with Bluetooth, aux power under the seat, and a better color than any FJR since (except the '10.) So what if I had to put the cruise control on it? My dash is a lot simpler to look at and to operate than the Gen-IIIs too!

Ride it till it breaks, and if possible, fix it and keep riding it! Mine broke. (It was something nobody else has broken, too!) I fixed it. I ride it. Don't need the expense of a new one!

The new ones are smoother. Really? This is an issue? Did I miss something here? My Gen 1 is easily the smoothest bike I've ever owned. I love it. Smoothness is just not an issue: I never even think about it. Don't know if all Gen 1's are exactly like mine, but my opinion is... it's not a big deal. My buddy Mark owns a BMW K1200LT. Its smoothness is light years ahead of the both the Gen 1 AND the new Gen 3 FJR: I've ridden all three. But even so, it's just not an issue. For example, on the Beemer, ya can barely tell the motor's running. On my Gen 1, ya can certainly feel the motor doing its thing; there's quite a difference. But whatever low level vibrating it does just isn't an issue; it certainly doesn't bother me any.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my 04 brand new. 2 years ago i was having some issues with the key switch and charging system. I looked at the new FJR but i had upgraded suspension, fixed heat issue, added cruise control, added voltmeter, and had ridden it 54k miles with little issue. The 03 and 04 had a little different swing arm length (shorter) smaller gears (less fuel mileage but a tad quicker) and the new bikes just did not have the any design or other increase to offset the handling i have already upgraded to. I fixed all issues and even had to recover my original seat last weak due to wear. My wife told me i needed to by a new bike last august. I did. I bought a Ducati 899 supersport.She meant that i should replace my current bike. I guess i will be selling my 02 SV650 in the spring. I just can not see replacing my 1st Gen FJR. at 60k it is just now broken in.

I have the lowly 07 Black Cherry glitchy throttled piece of crap that everyone loves to hate.

Had to put a Power Commander on it to help it out, it really should go on a Dyno but it's livable. I don't see how anyone can go fast on one of these dam things!?

I should join the Carver CBA but at only 80,000 miles he won't have me!

Oh another bad thing about it is that it seems to be rough on tires and I don't understand why?

Iggy complains that it is to clean and my wife tells me I wash it to often and George tells me I don't keep it clean enough.

Worst thing is that it appears to run well enough and handles well enough that I may never have to replace it as it may last longer than me! It's the poop's getting old! :(

I first "upgraded" my Gen I 2003 to a Gen I 2005. Now I've just "upgraded" from that to...another, low-miles Gen I 2005. I am $1,100 out-of-pocket for the 46,000-mile fresher machine. And by god some day I may "upgrade" again, maybe even to a Gen II! Meanwhile I don't spend lavishly on new hardware, but I do on gas and tires.

Just out of curiosity (since I am being tempted with a new Gen III), how many here who say stick with the Gen I or II have rode a Gen III?

I have a Gen 1 and a Gen 3, love them both. I have had my Gen 1 for a good number of miles, the Gen 3 was just a stealin deal, otherwise I would not have purchased it.

I just say, if yer all ready to bail on your nice bike after a few months...nothing is going to satisfy you.

Then again, I know a great Gen 3 from Missouri on sale, right now on THIS board, for $10k if you really need to scratch that itch.

I have an offer for my 2012 that is hard to turn down, that is why I'm asking. It looks like the Gen IIIs offer a little better suspension (not ES) and a Cruise control. I saw the 2013 ad and it is tempting depending on the cost to fly into St. Lious.

Beary

The increased smoothness that people are reporting is NOT a reduced engine vibration. The engine is essentially the same through all generations, and has the same rotating counter-balancers, so it will have about the same amount of inline 4 cylinder buzz/vibration leakage.

What is considerably smoother is the throttle response, and that is due to the introduction of Fly By Wire and the ability to use varying throttle response "programs" to open the throttle. Especially when using the "Touring" mode, it is very easy to be ultra-smooth with the throttle application, where the earlier models it was not quite so easy.

I have an offer for my 2012 that is hard to turn down, that is why I'm asking. It looks like the Gen IIIs offer a little better suspension (not ES) and a Cruise control. I saw the 2013 ad and it is tempting depending on the cost to fly into St. Lious.
Beary
Smitty is a standup guy...the best guy to buy from. That 13 will be cherry.

Just out of curiosity (since I am being tempted with a new Gen III), how many here who say stick with the Gen I or II have rode a Gen III?
I am one who recommended staying with the Gen1 and I have ridden all 3 Gens. In my opinion going from a Gen1 to a used Gen2 was not worth the money unless there was a huge difference in mileage.

If the question had been whether to go from a Gen1 to a Gen3... The Gen 3 is worth it. The Gen3 is absolutely worth the money.

I'm an occasional lurker here, having sold my 2004 Gen1 (PDP waiter) in 2007. Liked that moto a lot having had several Yamahas prior back to then nearly new 1972 R5C. Others followed and were owned for years but this thread is about "convince me" on Gen3 FJR...

Replaced my prior FJR with 2007 "hexhead" R1200RT which resolved (for me) issues with handlebar ergos and insufficient ground clearance while in sport mode. Rode that for several years then more twin boxer BMWs; R1100S, R1150GS and current R1150RT. At my baby boomer age, the oilhead RT (super low miles with Ohlins and other worthy farkles) would likely outlast my riding days but sometimes newer is not only desirable but better too.

So now I'm contemplating buying a newer 2012/2013 "camhead" R1200RT (last of air/oil cooled) or for prox same real $$ OTD, perhaps a brand new leftover 2014 FJR1300ES with full warranty. Traded messages with a dealer out of state but within driving distance but haven't gone further. Not looking for convincing (or not) arguments on one vs other. Just that I for one appreciate what Yamaha has done to not only keep FJR owners faithful but also to win over riders from other brands by improving the breed incrementally with each series.
fan_1.gif

I've had the Gen I, Gen II, and now have the Gen III. While the Gen III is obviously my favorite, there were things on the Gen I that I liked better than the next two (I liked the seat better, the instrument gauge was easier to read). All three are excellent machines. I was perfectly happy with my 2008 FJR. But cruise for me is a difference maker. I had a throttlemeister which worked wonders, but it's no cruise. Also, the throttle itself is much easier to use. Much. My throttle hand which has given me problems in the past is much fresher on the Gen III.

I didn't get the ES, the abs worked fine on my Gen II, I notice no difference in wind protection, and the drive modes are useless to me. But the cruise and fly by wire throttle are a huge improvement. Plus it's red and I am enjoying heated grips more than I thought I would.

Can't go wrong with Gen I, II, or III. Good luck with your decision.

I've had the Gen I, Gen II, and now have the Gen III. While the Gen III is obviously my favorite, there were things on the Gen I that I liked better than the next two (I liked the seat better, the instrument gauge was easier to read). All three are excellent machines. I was perfectly happy with my 2008 FJR. But cruise for me is a difference maker. I had a throttlemeister which worked wonders, but it's no cruise. Also, the throttle itself is much easier to use. Much. My throttle hand which has given me problems in the past is much fresher on the Gen III.
I didn't get the ES, the abs worked fine on my Gen II, I notice no difference in wind protection, and the drive modes are useless to me. But the cruise and fly by wire throttle are a huge improvement. Plus it's red and I am enjoying heated grips more than I thought I would.

Can't go wrong with Gen I, II, or III. Good luck with your decision.
This is a very good unbiased post. Most comments praise the new electronic suspension as the reason for getting a Gen III, and for good reason. But central Oklahoma is the worlds longest runway, so I'm not sure I can justify the ES. The benefit of the Gen IIIA over the Gen II appears to be the the Fly By Wire system.

Thanks deagle.

Beary

I came from a Honda ST1300, a nice bike in it's own right. But the buttery throttle response and fuel mapping was the main reason I got the FJR. The suspension is great too, but I never rode the earlier ones much so not able to compare. 2 cents....ff

Coupla questions re: Gen1 > Gen2 > Gen3 since I'm still shopping newer (but not new) BMW RTs with ongoing consideration instead for brand new Feejer;

1) Did Gen2 or Gen3 standard suspension (not ES) increase ground clearance over Gen1?

Footnote: for sporty SoCal canyon riding (where I lived then), put Gen1 rear suspension in preload (passenger) position to increase ground clearance and avoid centerstand grinding.

2) Did Gen2 or Gen3 optimize handlebar angle angles for overall improved ergos?

Footnote: installed GenMar, then MCL risers on Gen1 which helped OEM angles (and reach) but neither was sufficient solution for aging arthritic wrists.

As noted before, BMW RT solved both issues for me, Nonetheless, I'd enjoy having another FJR if practical for my own personal needs. YMMV (Your Moto May Vary
search.gif
).