Cooked shins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave3d

Reaction score
I have an 08 model A. Sunday the temp was in the mid 90`s, put 74 miles on it and had my shins cooked. If I open up the side vent on each side, will it take the heat off the shins? That heat is terrible.

Thanks,

Dave

What riding gear are you wearing? I rode my 08 to AZ last week and it was 107 yes it was fricken hot but with my boots and riding pants on it didnt bother me to much. The only time I really felt the heat on my legs was at a stop light but even then it wasnt to bad. If I was wearing jeans and tennis shoes then it could have been different.

Cooked shins - I too have an 08 and ridden in the mid 90s. I get some heat but not too terrible. My problem is that here the mid 90s is considered a very cool day for summer. I am worried about hot weather riding. There has been lots written about the vents but I'm not too sure which is best. Hope you post your thoughts on turning the vents out. I have left my in as the consensus is that is better for hot weather.

In traffic at stop lights, the heat guage goes up quickly and the fan soon comes on this time of year. Out in the desert at 95 degrees four bars are showing on the gauge which is the same as in the winter. I do not personally believe the FJR is any worse than any other bike in hot weather and better than some. I test rode a couple of twins at 75 degrees that put off much more heat for example.

I agree that at 95 degrees, the FJR puts off some heat but that's all it has to work with at that temp. Again, post your thoughts with the vents open and don't get discouraged. The FJR holds it own or exceeds with many more features than it loses.

Sorry, It's only Tuesday:

dogpile.jpg

Periodically move your feet to the passenger pegs. Don't open the vent panels, keep them in.

And stay off the forum come Friday, or else you're toast buddy!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are wearing short boots (or shoes, tennis shoes, flip-flops, etc) and jeans you can expect to be roasted.

It isn't just the heat from the bike, but also that which is radiated from the roadway. When commuting in my work boots (though they are over-the-ankle) I can feel the heat from the road above my boot top, inside of my Cycle Port riding pants.

Since I only feel this in the Summer or on extremely hot days, but not any other season or weather, I'm assuming it isn't the character of the bike, but the effect of the ambient air/road temperature.

YMMV, its only my $.02 worth.

If you aren't wearing riding boots and riding pants, now mighty be a good time for some "retail therapy" to help alleviate the symptoms. :unknw:

I have cooked shins too...but its from tubing on the Guadalupe river last week.

I feel really bad chiming in with this, but the heat will actually reduce as your FJR breaks in. By late July, once you have reached 4k miles or more, the heat will be reduced to the point that you probably won't notice it anymore. ¡Verdad! The heat does mostly go away.

I am a jeans and sneaker rider. If I push my feet to the edge of the footpeg it`s ok. The right side is worst then the left.

Dave

I am a jeans and sneaker rider. If I push my feet to the edge of the footpeg it`s ok. The right side is worst then the left.
Dave
Multiple choice for you then:

1) Be happy it doesn't cook you as much as if you were riding in flip-flops and shorts.

2) Move farther north...like Prudhoe Bay September and Tierra del Fuego in March.

3) Buy shoes and jeans with kevlar in them to reduce the effect of the evil engineering by that dastardly Yamaha.

4) Ride backwards.

:glare:

I also own an '08 FJR. Traded up from an '05. I live near Charlotte, NC and the daytime temps around here have been hovering near 100 deg for over a week. Trust me when I tell you, there is a huge difference in the amount of crotch and leg cooking that goes on with the '08 as compared to the '05. On days like the ones here lately I would literally have red marks on my inner thighs from the heat off the engine on my '05 just from my 27 mi drive home from work. I have not experienced anything close to that with my '08. Yamaha has definitley done something to direct much of the heat away from the rider. Not sure what kind of driving you were doing, but I submit that any bike is going to feel like it's giving off a ton of heat on days where the temps are in the 90's, especially if it's stop and go.

Dave

UH-OH.

Flame throwers are being fueled............

Well damn about time I got something to work with here...

Jeans and sneakers eh??? Dumbass! Buy some BBQ sauce.

Damn kids anyway.

:jester:

Dave

UH-OH.

Flame throwers are being fueled............

Well damn about time I got something to work with here...

Jeans and sneakers eh??? Dumbass! Buy some BBQ sauce.

Damn kids anyway.

Some of us were willing to wait 2 days. :unsure:

Or, maybe we figured our opinion is just.....well......our opinion. :dribble:

Dave
IF you can, see if you can ride one of the new big-bore naked bikes (Bandit or FZ-1. It would be interesting to compare a faired bike with a naked bike. If it is truly and effect of the temperature and road heat rather than the fairing on the FJR, that might modify your actions to ameliorate your discomfort.

IIRC, even the magazine testers where Kevlar jeans and riding boots. But, what do they know? :twitchsmile: :uhuh:

Ta hell with waitin till Friday. It's been to long since something this scintillating has aroused me!!!! Rules be damned! :devil: Guys gotta do, whata guys gotta do.

up until 2 days ago i was wearing my boots and first gear h20 overpants and my legs only really got hot in the thigh area. then i finally bought me a pair of cheap mesh pants, now my shins are getting hot but my thighs are comfortable. i believe it has to do with what you are wearing