Coolant Leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine too, or close to it. It just doesn't drop like it was sprayed with a hose when the fans turn on any more. Well, usually it does but not always. Thanks.

After reading your post on 3rd about no further coolant loss or bubbles in tank I think your head gasket is good.

IF engine never got hotter 230-40F no warping or damage should have happened.

Changing throttle body on your bike, from what others posted no cooling lines should be touched. Hoses run from pump to Rad. Rad. to engine block might have a small by-pass in there too.

These hoses are not really close to throttle body area. Highest point in system should be Rad. cap, pretty much bleeds itself after T- stat opens.

Its possible T-stat is sticking, but usually once it open it stays open when hot. I hope you find a solution.

So I was just advised to follow this thread as I am having similar issues. 2013 91k I haven't noticed any coolant leak and overfill level stays steady but engine temp seems abnormally high for the last month or so since a valve check/coolant change at biker geeks tech day. At highway speed and 60-80 degree ambient bike will run about 170-190 but If I get in any stop and go or city traffic, Temps climb quickly. Fans kick on around 220ish but are not enough to keep the temp from rising. If I blip the throttle temp will drop a little but I can only put a bandaid on the problem for 5 min or so at a complete stop before it jumps to dangerous levels. In the last couple of weeks I have had to get off the highway or ride the shoulder to keep airflow moving. After I get back from SFO I plan to flush with distilled water and refill with 50/50 mix. I hope we are not unearthing a problem here......
You probably need to start your own thread. This is unrelated.

smile.png
bike.gif

My brand new Husqvarna 650 had very similar symptoms, and it was indeed a faulty head gasket. They replaced the radiator twice, the water pump and thermastat. Finally replaced the head gasket and fixed the problem.

On another note, my 2012 FJR started getting warmer that it should and would drip out some coolant occasionally. Turned out to be a hairline crack in the plastic overflow tank. Replaced the tank, and back to normal.