Cooloer on 91 Octane?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changing to a COOLER plug will NOT cause your engine to run cooler. A cooler plug only allows the tip of the plug to dissipate heat faster to the engine block allowing the electrode to run cooler.

...............GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........WHERE'S MY TOILET BOWL CLEANING THREAD?.....OR BETTER YET MY GERBIL THREAD.........................................

Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah

All right already! You guys made me do this.

I'm pouring 91 octane on my left foot .. and 87 on my right,

Light the match.....

Ah!!!!damn!!! shit!!!! son of a bitch!!! :dribble:

They both burn damn awful hot!!!!!!!!

Pointless experiment over, git back to work :angry:

:jester:

Bustanut, Ya should have used a cooler match to light it with, wouldn't have burned so hot :blink:

But it's good your willing to do this scientific research on our behalf, Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement Don.

I figure it's the least I can do as I'm not half as intelligent as Jestal, Rad or a few of the others. So I'll just use my body as a test bed to help end silly conflicts over what can/will happen in certain situations. :lol:

:jester:

Kewl........so we're setting you on fire when we actually meet up and drink beer? I'm cutting you off of beer right off the bat...........that would be a waste of beer.

For what it's worth, higher octane fuel in a car engine designed to use it can improve mileage. Cars have detonation sensors, something the Feej doesn't have. If 87 is used in a motor designed for 92, and detonation occurs, the ECM retards timing, causing a loss in efficiency, hence the lowered mileage. In the Feej, if it doesn't rattle, it doesn't need it. I also run the occasional tank of Premium, as it does (by all I've read) have a better detergent package, for the obvious cleaning benefit. Uncontrollable power is not one of the bennys.

I just like to run Chevron for the sake of cleaner injectors but that's a whole nuther ball of wax. Best thing to do is just not ride when its too hot.....PM. <>< :D

Changing to a COOLER plug will NOT cause your engine to run cooler. A cooler plug only allows the tip of the plug to dissipate heat faster to the engine block allowing the electrode to run cooler.

Oh, I see. So the CR8s running 25 degrees cooler than the CR9s in my GSXR750 race machine is a figment of my imagination, created by all the heat this summer at the midwestern tracks of the USA in the CCS region I race in. The temp gauge is all that's affected when I run a cooler plug and the engine itself is actually just dissipating heat differently? Hmmmm...

Oh, I see. So the CR8s running 25 degrees cooler than the CR9s in my GSXR750 race machine is a figment of my imagination, created by all the heat this summer at the midwestern tracks of the USA in the CCS region I race in. The temp gauge is all that's affected when I run a cooler plug and the engine itself is actually just dissipating heat differently? Hmmmm...
bg2B: An NGK '8' is warmer than an NGK '9' -- that is, (for NGKs) a '9' will conduct more BTUs per unit of time into the head and cooling system than an '8'. Other brand numbering systems may be different.

Whether this (conducting more BTUs out of the combustion chamber) will result in a cooler running engine (or, coolness anywhere?) is, I think, still debatable...... ;)

There are reasons for the heat conductivity of spark plugs (generally, combustion related) -- but, I think, none of these reasons would be overall engine temperature? jmho :huh:

bg2B: An NGK '8' is warmer than an NGK '9' -- that is, (for NGKs) a '9' will conduct more BTUs per unit of time into the head and cooling system than an '8'. Other brand numbering systems may be different.

Whether this (conducting more BTUs out of the combustion chamber) will result in a cooler running engine (or, coolness anywhere?) is, I think, still debatable...... ;)

There are reasons for the heat conductivity of spark plugs (generally, combustion related) -- but, I think, none of these reasons would be overall engine temperature? jmho :huh:
With all due respect here, I'm not postulating or pontificating these temperature or plug #s. The literal difference in heat at the end of a 30 minute race is 25 degrees on the temp gauge; 190 degrees with CR8s and 215-220 degrees with CR9s. It is quite a difference not only in heat on the temp gauge but also in performance at the rear wheel. Something must be lost in the English translation, being here in the ether and all. :rolleyes:

With all due respect here, I'm not postulating or pontificating these temperature or plug #s. The literal difference in heat at the end of a 30 minute race is 25 degrees on the temp gauge; 190 degrees with CR8s and 215-220 degrees with CR9s. It is quite a difference not only in heat on the temp gauge but also in performance at the rear wheel. Something must be lost in the English translation, being here in the ether and all.
And, respectfully, neither am I doubting your observations -- just the efficacy of same. To wit: "190 degrees w/CR8s v/s 215-220 degrees/CR9s". The 'hotter' plugs appear to run 'cooler'; while the 'cooler' plugs appear to cause hotter running? Counterintuitive....? :huh:

Does one install 'colder' (racing) spark plugs to increase engine coolant temperature? :blink: :huh:

Several years ago, after studying the real differences between different brands of gasolines, I switched to the premium brands of gasoline. Right now, to my knowledge, the ones with the best additives are Shell and Chevron.

I also began to experiment using different octanes and began checking my mileage. I noticed that I consistently got ~10% better mileage with the most expensive, highest octane gasoline.

These results have been most noticeable in our car and truck which have much larger gas tanks than our motorcycles. Noting the difference in cost, it made sense to me to use the highest octane gasoline I could buy. I've been doing it ever since for our car, truck, and motorcycles.

IRBR

With all due respect here, I'm not postulating or pontificating these temperature or plug #s. The literal difference in heat at the end of a 30 minute race is 25 degrees on the temp gauge; 190 degrees with CR8s and 215-220 degrees with CR9s. It is quite a difference not only in heat on the temp gauge but also in performance at the rear wheel. Something must be lost in the English translation, being here in the ether and all.
And, respectfully, neither am I doubting your observations -- just the efficacy of same. To wit: "190 degrees w/CR8s v/s 215-220 degrees/CR9s". The 'hotter' plugs appear to run 'cooler'; while the 'cooler' plugs appear to cause hotter running? Counterintuitive....? :huh:

Does one install 'colder' (racing) spark plugs to increase engine coolant temperature? :blink: :huh:

I understand what you are saying, but that's not what I have found at the track with this machine and NGK plugs.

Unless you have a high compression kit in your machine, or are actually racing, high octane is a waste of money for the road. 91 octane will burn a tad cleaner and faster than 87, but not significantly cooler. Yes, please make it stop. :dribble:

When my bike is empty, I stick the cheap stuff in. It runs fine. When it needs more gas, I get more. I've tried the expensive stuff and I tried the cheap stuff. Either way, the bike runs fine and the temp guage is at 2 bars and up to 3 when I sit at a stop light for a prolonged period of time. I don't really care if I can get 4-6% better with something else. Regardless of what I get, it's a helluva lot better than what I get in my car. And, if I really want to save on fuel mileage, I'll keep it within 5-10 mph of the speed limit at all times (sorry, I just choked and spit soda on my keyboard laughing at that)

sorry...i had to add something to this thread. the title of the section says never-ending and it looked like it might be coming to an end.

Last edited by a moderator: