Corbin Seat Height vs Stock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo-ride

slo-ride
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Corbin's seat height is lower or higher than the "low" position on the stock seat?

Thanks!

Even if the Corbin seat is lower, in reference to leg length what also matters is the width of the seat where it meets the back of the gas tank. A wider seat makes your legs seem shorter and a narrow seat makes your legs seem longer in terms of reaching the ground. My Gen I stock seat, Bill Mayer and Russell seats all have about the same seat height. I can easily flat-foot the stock seat but due the to the width of the Russell seat I am on my toes.

Even if the Corbin seat is lower, in reference to leg length what also matters is the width of the seat where it meets the back of the gas tank. A wider seat makes your legs seem shorter and a narrow seat makes your legs seem longer in terms of reaching the ground. My Gen I stock seat, Bill Mayer and Russell seats all have about the same seat height. I can easily flat-foot the stock seat but due the to the width of the Russell seat I am on my toes.
Interesting. My concern is that if the Corbin is lower than Gen II stock then my 6' 2" frame will feel cramped. I ride with my stock seat in the low position but I would not like it if it were any lower.

My Corbin is exactly the same height as the stock seat in low position, comparing where the very front of the seats fall on the tank trim. However the rear part of the riders seat is dished deaper so the Corbin is slightly lower in the back part-this to me is good as there is less tendency to slide foward to the detriment of the boys. For me, at 6', a vast improvement.

That sounds good. What about the pillion seat? Is it higher than the stock pillion seat? My wife is short so she is hoping for some gain in height so she can see over my shoulder.

That sounds good. What about the pillion seat? Is it higher than the stock pillion seat? My wife is short so she is hoping for some gain in height so she can see over my shoulder.
Rider seat is lower by about an inch and tapered so it's easier to put the feet down (I'm 5'5" and it's the only thing I did to the bike to make it more manageable at a stop). I also have the pillion seat too. It's a little taller than stock (about an inch) and more comfy IMO. How much additional height does she need to see?

With the stock seat in the low position (never bothered to try the high position out), I can easily flat foot the bike. With the Corbin installed, I can almost flat foot it; the wider design of the Corbin definitely eats up length. I'm 5' 10". You might have a bit more bend in your knees at 6' 2" with a Corbin.

Any trouble with long rides using the Corbin seat? My stock seat with Bead Rider beads is tolerable but just barely. I'm sure the Corbin is better than what I have now but I'm just iffy on losing the seat height adjustment...although I ride in the low position now. Can I still use the FJR's key to remove a Corbin seat? Do I lose the storage under the seat?

Any trouble with long rides using the Corbin seat? My stock seat with Bead Rider beads is tolerable but just barely. I'm sure the Corbin is better than what I have now but I'm just iffy on losing the seat height adjustment...although I ride in the low position now. Can I still use the FJR's key to remove a Corbin seat? Do I lose the storage under the seat?
I hate the stock seat - just too squishy and lots of hot spots. That was the first thing to go at 1200 miles on the odometer. After a ride from LA to Las Vegas I couldn't feel my rear end when I got off of it.

Personally, Corbin is my seat of choice. I've had mine on my bike for 100,000 miles and the only thing I've done is throw an Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad on it. The more contoured seat works very well with my legs and seating position. Regardless of what seat you choose your butt will get tired and sore after running long rides. This is where I take advantage of being standing on the pegs. :)

Corbin seat is plug and play, just put on the seat and go. Storage underneath it is about the same. Corbins are significantly heavier because the bases they use to put the foam on are quite hefty.

When it comes to seats, to each their own. Corbin is a love/hate seat because it's notorious for its firmness and long break-in period (2000-3000 miles). I like the extra firmness of the seat and have found it to be well worth it. If you've got the cash to plunk on a Rick Mayer seat that would be awesome - I'd like to try them someday.

Any trouble with long rides using the Corbin seat? Can I still use the FJR's key to remove a Corbin seat? Do I lose the storage under the seat?
I haven't had any problems with the long rides I've done with the Corbin (highest since getting the Corbin late last year was about 450 miles in a day). I'm still well within the break-in period, so it'll be awhile before it fully conforms to the arse. I had a Corbin on my FZ6 as well and loved it. Also, I do supplement mine with an Alaskan Butt pad. As TWT says, the Corbin is an acquired taste...some love it, some hate it. Problem is that it takes a few thousand miles to figure it out. ;)

And yes, you still use the FJR key to remove the seat. You only remove the plastic height bracket that was used with the stock seat when installing it. You might have to fine tune the latch plate on the Corbin as it is a very tight fit (I have to push down hard on the Corbin to get it to engage the lock...too lazy to adjust the latch, lol).

One last thing on the Corbin; if you decide you don't like it, they typically sell fast on the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of washers on my latch fixed that problem. They say the firm support of the Corbin is the key no squishy gel etc.So far my max was a 750 mile day and no butt problems.I also opted for the heated model, 28 degrees on my ride to work Chrismass Eve gotta love it.YMMV. :yahoo: