Seat options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Airflow / WindRider seat cover I have on mine is excellent. Seat is very comfortable.
So much so, that I forked out for such a cover for my ZZR1200 with OEM seat. I have had that seat redone with better foam, used a sheepskin, gel pad, even replaced it with a Corbin. Now, the OEM seat with the WindRider cover beats them all. I am generally a long distance rider, so have a fair idea about seat comfort.
BTW, I don't have shares with WindRider. And, this is my opinion.

I don’t understand AT ALL how Yamaha can design such a fabulous bike for long distance riding yet put a seat on it that’s the equivalent of a 2 x 6 board. Do they really care so little about customer satisfaction?
Different seats for different butts. Believe it o' not, there are those of use who are perfectly happy with the stock seat butt (a pun, ha!) we tend to be of smaller girth than many. I've ridden mine many tens of thousands of miles.

They told me that they would update their site with a link to the FJR cover. But they haven't.

However, Trish from WindRider offered me one and would like feedback once I have tried it.

She said:

--------------------------
Hi Bill,

It’s Trish from Wind Rider, We wanted to thank you for your interest in our Wind Rider Seat Covers. We would like to inform you that you are one of the selected few that our team chose to try out our newly developed custom cover for the (FJR1300) model. Since it is newly developed, we would like to offer you to be one of the first to try out the cover on your (FJR1300) and our team would love to hear your thoughts as we value our customers’ opinion and input and always strive to better our product and our service. The cover would be listed for US$79.95 with free international shipping. We would like to ask for you feedback once you receive the item above and for some photos of your bike with the cover on which we will use to display on our website
:)

Trish de Leon
Customer Service Team
[email protected]

-----------------------

Give her a try.

I replied and told her I already have one.

So you add another $50 for the seat, another $300 for better suspension another $xx for this widget or that widget. Then you add on the various margins for the Importer and dealer, taxes etc. All of a sudden you've added serious money to the price of the motor vehicle.

Much better to offer an upgraded seat and other "bits" which also encourages aftermarket suppliers.

True enough, but the marginal cost of designing an acceptably comfortable seat for a $20,000 motorcycle is insignificant! What is the cost of a decent seat vs. the cost of adding a sixth gear to the transmission? Next to nothing!

Never forget that they gnaw on whether or not to use an extra INCH of wiring because of cost across an entire production run.

$80 for a rubber mesh seat cover?!?!?! And that's half off?

They've been on Ebay and Amazon for years for like $12. Where is PT Barnum when you need him?
I wondered about the ones on ebay for 12 -15 $. Read a review that said they soak up water and your butt gets soaked. Do not have a Wind Rider yet, but the apparently use material that lets the water flow out?

Read "a" review? What did the other reviews say?

They're made of polyester. And as such...

"Polyester fabric is a hydrophobic material generally absorbing only 0.4% of it's weight in water. Due to the chemical properties of polyester, which does not readily absorb water, it has the effect of passing water to adjacent fibers."

But if you'd rather spend $80 instead of $14 have at it.

So, you know that they are all made of the same material and the only difference is the price?

I'm not going to do that much homework on something I have no interest in. Check for yourself. Windrider doesn't even say what it's made of. But they use terms like...

"Wind Rider Seat Covers™ are not only moisture-resistant...."

"
........ Additionally, it does not retain water, making it suitable for use in wet conditions."

"The Wind Rider Seat Cover is crafted from a highly durable material"

I think you should spend the 80.

Which is shocking, right? I can't be alone on this, but a Sport Touring bike of this caliber (and cost) should already come equipped with a reasonably comfortable seat... blows my mind TBH, so now I have to spend another $1500 CAD to get a decent seat for my 280LBS butt? Pfft. /rant
After buying my 2012 new, Wife & I headed off for our 1st trip. Didn't make a 100 miles before our butts were screaming for release. I recall being furious that my premium motorcycle had a bargain basement seat. Had Seth Laam make seats for us & 80,000+km later all is remains very good. Cheers *PS: sat a couple RDLs at the time & didn't care for the height nor the 'wings' rubbing back of my legs.FB_IMG_1661454297745.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 fjr's, each with over 60k, and original seats. I don't mind seat for everyday and long weekends, but it can get hard on longer trips. I recently did 11 days, from pa to Colorado to north Carolina and back to pa. 5400 miles mostly all back roads. I used my hunting seat cushion and never had a sore butt or butt itch. It is like a self inflating air mattress, and when you sit on it you can open valve and adjust as you like. Doesn't seem to hold water, as I rode through torrential rains in Missouri. My wife uses it on pillian on weekend rides. I also used it on a 10 day dirt bike ride in Vietnam with much success. Only cost $12 so it's worth a try compared to $500 or more for a new seat. Called bunsaver at hunters specialties.com and also avail at many sporting goods.

Attachments

• IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 2
Padded underwear for 40 bucks.
You bring up a good point. I thought for a long time that my Kawasaki seat sucked but it wasn't the seat, it was my underwear seams cutting deep burning crevices into my skin. I prefer non-padded seamless, LD Comfort is my go-to. They don't last forever, maybe 5-6 years with proper care but it's nice having dry skin even if my pants ass is wet from the wicking effect. They really do the job for me down here in the NC hot & humid summertime.