Corbin Smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the way I understood them- only the right bolt is supposed to attatch- the other bolt is an allenhead the sits in the hole- That is the way I put it on, and it worked so it was not too bad-

Also look at you invoice- mine says smuggler with bump pad- I am wondering if they were suppose to send a pad for the back portion? :blink:

"smuggler" sounds like code for "turd burgler" count me out!

Where would you store it if ya take the chicky from the bar for a ride?

"smuggler" sounds like code for "turd burgler" count me out!
Now thats just pee in the pants funny.... :)

Im with ya on that one... I can't count how many times, I get the "Take me for a ride bit.." hehe No problem...

well for me I am married, and she rides her own bike- :bleh: And as far as that goes- if some chick does not have her own bike to ride- to hell with her-who wants her? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
well for me I am married, and she rides her own bike-  And as far as that goes- if some chick does not have her own bike to ride- to hell with her-who wants her? 
I'm married too...Thank god she doesn't ride or play golf. And,

isn't this what Harleys are for?

rockabill, I think the question you should ask Sargent, is "will your rider seat work with the stock pillion seat?" If the answer is yes, the chances of the Sargent and the Corbin Smuggler mating up are pretty good. If the Sargent rider seat HAS to be mated with the Sargent pillion seat........the other combo probably wouldn't work.

TWILKIN650,

Thanks very much for the detail with your smuggler mounting mods. I thought It looked great on your bike. Did the metal pins remain snug and quite after several rides? Is the smuggler lid keyed or not? If it is keyed, do you have to use the key to access it or not? Is there any new rattles or windnoise? Are you 100% happy with it?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom of VA. Snug after the first ride, haven't had it out more than a few miles so far, will report back after more spirited ride this weekend. Trunk lid is keyed, and can be left locked or unlocked. When left unlocked, has a push button latch to open trunk. No rattles or wind noise so far, but as I say, haven't ridden enough to know.

Room under strap in tail section for the Blue Seas box power distribution block many are using (I did a trial fit of mine, just to make sure). There's about 1/2-3/4" room under the installed trunk to run wires back there if desired.

Update on Smuggler trunk fit. I did about 100 miles today on all types of roads, at speeds up to about 90, and all still seems secure using my mod shown above.

A question from one of the other forums asks if the spare lock supplied for the Yamaha top box could be used on the Smuggler. Maybe, but not without some fabrication, as the locking mechanism is of a different type than that of the Smuggler. Smuggler uses a push button latch. I'm not going to fool with that for now; riding weather in Texas is just about perfect. :D

TWILKIN650

I ordered mine today based on your :D . I hope it looks as good as it does in the pictures. They said 4 weeks. How long did it take to get yours?

Tom of VA, took about 5 weeks, as they were not yet in production when I ordered. The only downer (other than having to figure out my own quick change mod) was that they charged my credit card at time of order, rather than when it shipped. And hopefully they will revise their install instructions. They are not specific to the Smugger trunk, but rather an add on to the Corbin heated seat instructions. Poor photos and install instructions in my opinion. If you try my simple mod, let us know how it works for you.

I tried to explain my mounting concern to the guy who took the order but he wasn't familiar with FJR Smuggler. I figured I would get the order in the pipe and then make a call back about the mounting setup. I will try to explain to them what you did, and maybe point them to your photos you posted. I would like them to copy your idea. I can't see why you would want to bolt it down. Is there anyone you recommend I speak to? If not, I'll just get hold of one of the production guys.

Tom of VA, I don't have anyone at Corbin identified who can discuss design of the Smuggler. I dealt with a tech on install issues, and e-mailed him my info; pointed him to this site, but didn't get confirmation back that it made any impression on Corbin's design for mounting. I can understand why they wouldn't want to revise the mounting method after it has already been published in install instructions and sent out with the first production run. Once a few more Forum members buy, install and maybe try a mod like I did, a better way to skin the cat will become obvious. I just looked at the method they described as counter productive for a fast exchange of the Smuggler with the stock rear seat. PM me when you take delivery if you want to discuss it, and I'll send you my phone number.

TWILKIN650,

I spoke to a guy at Corbin today and I think I understand why they choose to design the mounts this way. The Smuggler primarily is meant to mate with their front seat. It will work with the factory seat but it seems they are more concerned with the fit with the Corbin seat. If you buy the Corbin seat and Smuggler together, the front seat will be attached to the trunk and removed together as a unit. Rather than attempt to get Corbin to provide a ready-to-go setup for the Yamaha seat, I think I'll just follow your lead and modify some hardware to serve as pins. I don't want to fuss around if I want to swap the passenger seat back on.

:)

smuggler001.jpg
:eek:fftopic: Do I see what I think I see?? You have all that farkleage and no sliders? Boy, whats wrong with you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jestal, I have an 04 and was about set to buy the Smuggler. If they give you a hard time on return, I'm sure we could work something out. I was also going to buy from Gary @ University. He requested that club members call him directly, didn't want his prices quoted on the site.