Corbin Trunk For The Fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Mike Corbin has some inf. on next years color's (CANDY DARK RED) :exclamation:

Ed....... :yahoo:

Holy Crapzilla Batman!!!!!!

I was just talking to a friend about how to fabricate something like this,,,,

I had seen fotos of a product offered in Australia,, but this looks very kool,,

I e-mailed Corbin and they said they haven't had many requests for this. I think we need to e-mail them and let them know that there is alot of intrest in this smuggler trunk! Here is what they e-mailed me....

Thank you very much for your interest in our products, we've been making seats over 34 years and are the leading motorcycle seat manufacture in the country.We for do not make a smuggler for your bike.It would be nice to have a smuggler for that bike.We have'nt had many requests for that product for that bike.I will send in a request for you.thanx sergio

Sergio Medeiros

Sales Representative

Corbin Saddles

800-223-4332 x16

[email protected]

???????????????

I would be interested too. By the way, I have been considering ordering a seat from Corbin. Are there still concerns about the company's financial future? I read somewhere on this site a recommendation to stay away from Corbin because of legal/financial troubles.

Any comments? Any recent order/supply/quality/customer service issues that anyone on the forum has experienced?

I'm fearful the Corbin unit might be a little art-deco for my tastes. I have to wonder why we haven't been able to find something like those seen on the European police bikes. Almost all of those photos I've seen show a single saddle with the rear seat replaced with a functional storage locker. They really seem to match the clean lines of the FJR. I would assume this is the location for most of their communication equipment, but that's just a guess on my part.

With the power of the group buys we have seen amongst the group, I would have to think there is some manufacture out there willing to fill our orders.

I must be the only one who thought it butt-ugly, useless and a bad alternative to both the Givi color-matched top box the Yamaha jenn-u-wine box. What does this give that they don't? And the damn thing costs as much as the Givi and holds 2 six ounce bottles of spring water and your summer gloves--no room for the winter ones.

It's slightly better looking than the "beetle bags" which set a new standard for UGLY!!!!!

Besides I don't like the lead--based grade of concrete Mike Corbin fills his seats with instead of cushioning.

I must be the only one who thought it butt-ugly, useless and a bad alternative to both the Givi color-matched top box the Yamaha jenn-u-wine box. What does this give that they don't? And the damn thing costs as much as the Givi and holds 2 six ounce bottles of spring water and your summer gloves--no room for the winter ones.
It's slightly better looking than the "beetle bags" which set a new standard for UGLY!!!!!

Besides I don't like the lead--based grade of concrete Mike Corbin fills his seats with instead of cushioning.
Ya know what they say..."one man's shit is another man's dinner".

That's why I made my own. I think it's like 25-1 of people that like it vs the ones that don't. I could care less anyway who does and doesn't like it. It's for me, not them.

I must be the only one who thought it butt-ugly, useless and a bad alternative to both the Givi color-matched top box the Yamaha  jenn-u-wine box.  What does this give that they don't?  And the damn thing costs as much as the Givi and holds 2 six ounce bottles of spring water and your summer gloves--no room for the winter ones.

Ya know what they say..."one man's shit is another man's dinner".

That's why I made my own. I think it's like 25-1 of people that like it vs the ones that don't. I could care less anyway who does and doesn't like it. It's for me, not them.
I got no argument with that. If you or anyone wants this latest...."invention"...that's your biz and it's your buckz. I'm just voicing my opin that it's B/U! And, no, I don't plan on buying it.

But if "you" like it and it serves you well, all power to you!

I send my e-mail to Corbin asking them to consider producing the Smuggler for the FJR and offering to put down a deposit to back up the request. Who's next?

I sent my e-mail to Corbin a couple of days ago requesting they consider building a smuggler for the FJR. Here's what I just recieved from Corbin:

"Thank you very much for your interest in our products, we've been making

seats over 34 years and are the leading motorcycle seat manufacture in the

country.The R&D department is making one as we speak.that should be out

probally in two weeks.Keep checking out our web site under hot products.Thanx

Sergio"

Ask and Ye shall recieve!! :D

Yea, sgoat, but my offer to put down a deposit probably put 'em over the edge. :lol:

Looks pretty good to me as well, however, I also feel like the seat comfort could be better. I had one on the GSX1100G I had, and my GPZ1100, but bought the Sargent for the FJR. The Smuggler option makes it look much more attractive to me though. I'll also email Corbin.

Has anyone seen or used the Corbin Ovalback Glovebox ??

btw,, I just installed my new Corbin/Yammi seat that I bought from a member,,

seems his wife did not like it ,, and he said it was a bit hard,,

I,,, love this seat,, but I do not have a boney a** ,, as Kurt described himself,,

I am going to have the sides close to the tank shaved a bit,, for better ground reach,, but in the twisties and at speed it feels great,, I guess you just have to have ridden hardtails n bobbers to truly see the comfort in this seat,,

it has a perfect bucket to keep you from sliding back when you take off with some gusto!! you guys know what I mean!! " but officer ,, I just can't belive I was going that fast !!!! how fast was the car in front of me going"??? BRP 4:30pm Sunday,,, no ticket!! :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
TWILKIN650,

It must have been your request that made the difference. Thanks so much! If I'm able to afford this new farkle, I'll first have to confirm it will work with my Sargent seat. Of course this all hedges on if Corbin does as nice a job with the Smuggler for the FJR as they did for the ST1300.

I emailed Corbin with the thread and got this back

"We have heard this a lot. We are trying to borrow the FJR to make a

Smuggler, but will not have this done until winter. Our Research &

Development department is backed up at the moment. Keeping checking our

website for new parts."

Anyone close to Corbin willing to lend them a hand?

BugR

Either that reply pre-dates the one I recieved, or (most likely) Corbin doesn't know what is really going on inside their R&D dept. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Hey,

on the corbin web site they have an offer to allow them to borrow bikes for use in tooling,,, in return they give you the first run of the product free,, FJR is listed as one of the bikes they are looking for,,

so,,, I sent them an email saying that I would bring my '05 if they are truly interested,,

so,, it's tic tok tic tok,, to see if I get a reply

if others would also do this maybe we can speed the process up a bit,,

just a thought,,,

btw,, it is listed in the "Free Stuff" section

it was the "Free" that got my attention

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply from Corbin on my e-mail requesting Smuggler trunk R&D for FJR:

"Just got in great news. We will be making a smuggler trunk for the Yamaha FJR1300. Its in the works right now and should be finished about two weeks or so. Spread the good news around. You will be able to see this on the web under "HOT PRODUCTS" as soon it comes out.

Thanx sergio"

So, keep an eye on the Corbin site!

IT"S OFFICIAL!!!!

Sent: Fri 8/12/2005 10:38 AM

Hi,

We have a bike in R & D working on it!!!! I am guessing that we are about

2 -3 weeks out for production. You can keep checking our web page. I have attached the link to the "New" section of our web.

Thanks for asking and let me know if you have any more questions

https://www.corbin.com/new/new.shtml

At 08:31 AM 8/12/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

>

>Make the Smuggler thing for the FJR1300!!! Why should the Honda

>ST1300 people have all the fun!???!

>

>I'll pre-order one TODAY, with a 'close' seat!!!!

>

>

>Thanks!!!

>

>

>Dave Gross, Seattle WA