Correct Conclusion???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe that the shop let the kid drive off the lot without PROOF of atleast a permit. (whether he would be going on the highway or not) Several times I have been asked to ride a friends newly purchased bike to their house because they didn't have the appropriate documentation.

Yea, this case is all about personal responsibility. In general, I see bad things happening on the roads all the time and whenever somebody get's their ass in a bind it's always "somebody else's fault." Geez, one of the first things you should teach your kids thses days is that you don't always get a second chance and how YOUR life goes depends on the choices YOU make.
OK it is about personal responsibility. It was the boys responsibility to act acordingly and to have the experience to know the limits.

He obviously didn't have either. Enforce it by law. Mandate formal rider training as a prerequisit to obtaining a permit to learn. Here it's a 2 day course which has a price tag and a high failure rate. You fail you do it again.

I also belive the shop should be responsible for no more than ensureing he has a valid license or permit. But they should take a copy of this for their records. Again here it's law if you are a license verhicle dealer. You must verify their validity to ride it out of the shop. If they put it in a trailer it's a different story.

His parents reaction was unjust but as a parent if my children want to learn to ride I won't stop them but I will ensure they are as experienced and as well trainied as possibly.

It will cost $ but what are their lives worth.

To finance the motorcycle, Brandon needed credit approval. Brandon told Pitts that his father would not co-sign a loan for him, but would allow Brandon to purchase the motorcycle if he could finance it himself. Once Brandon was approved for financing, Pitts told Brandon to call his father to approve Brandon's purchase of the motorcycle.
This part confuses me, but *eh*.

He was 18. He did his version of something that 18 year olds do a lot, (something stupid) and in this case it was fatal.

His parents did something that a lot of people do these days, (sue everyone in the same timezone, hoping for a payout), and in this case they'll have to stay in the trailer.

This was tragic, but people take themselves out of the gene pool every day, and it doesn't mean the people they left behind have any right to cash in. For all anyone knows, he ran off the road trying to miss a deer or rabbit or any number of things, and experience was a minimal or non-factor in the equation.