Cortech by Tour Master GX Air Series 2 Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
I'm looking at Cortech by Tour Master GX Air Series 2 Jacket and wondering if there is any experience out there. Interested in comfort, cooling ability and durability. Being tall, I'm also interested in how well the Tall sizes fit.

I've got one (2 yrs. old) & I do like it. It's well made & is a great warm weather jacket. The wind/rain liner does very well keeping water out, I've never had a leak. The only negative IMO, is that it does not do well in cold weather (40 & below) even with the thermal & wind/rain liners in. Because of that I purchased a heated jacket to wear instead of the thermal. I do not have experience with the tall sizes being that I'm not tall. ;) There's always a trade off between mesh & non-mesh jackets, just got to go with what works for you. Having more than one kind/style in your closet would be ideal.

Not a bad choice, but I just can't get the Tourmaster stuff to feel right. Alternate choice, Olympia Airglide. You just have to try them on to see what suits you best. Another choice, Joe Rocket Alter Ego, which comes in tall sizes. The new ones are way better than the old version.

For the past 2+ years, I have used a Cortech GX Sport 2, but not the "Air" model. It's an XL Tall, and fits pretty well. It has enough adjustments to make it fairly comfortable. I like it pretty well. My wife has an Olympia outfit. In comparison, the Cortech stuff seems to be made from a heavier material, and definitely has better padding. The Olympia isn't bad, but I think most of the TourMaster and Cortech stuff is a little more heavy duty. Good luck with your search for gear.

I've had the Tourmaster Intake for about three years now. It's basically the same jacket with Cordura instead of leather in the abrasion zones and less sporty graphics (like, the Intake is the Ford version and the GX Air is the Mercury).

I really like it. Fits well (thank God for tall sizes), vents well, is extremely versatile with the two liners, and it's held up well through thousands of miles. It's my go to jacket from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I wear a warmer three-quarter length jacket when it's colder. I'd go the same way again. In fact, I'm thinking about that Cortech jacket too.

The downsides in my opinion involve the waterproof/windproof liner. It's nylon, not something like Gore-Tex, so it doesn't breathe (works great for cool evenings, though). Also, all waterproof liners include that crummy compromise that the outside of the jacket gets soaked. It dries quickly, but you gotta get stuff out of your pockets and into the bags when the weather turns wet.

Overall, darn nice bang for the buck. It's a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I just purchased a Scorpion Commander jacket from them for the 3mo of my season where its usually on the cool side. I was looking at the Cortech Accelerator 2 then I realized with the luck I have with zippers, those zip off sleeves would be a huge pain in the ass - besides, the whole idea of wearing an armoured jacket is for protection. SO the zip off sleeves are nothing but a deal breaker. Looked at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2. No pricing though.

I've been wearing my Tourmaster Intake for 2 years now and about 50,000 miles. Good jacket, it's getting a little 'broken in' and will be due for replacement next year. I'm with squeezer on this. The GX is basically the same jacket as the Intake. Can't be beat I don't think for the price.

Nearly all of my riding is 75F and below and the Intake has been the most versatile jaket I've owned. Freezing to 100+ with the same gear is phenomenal! I've nearly disposed of the quilted liner with it prefering to use my electric liner, even if its not plugged in.

Pays your money and takes your chances, but I think whomever buys this jacket will be WAY happy with it.

I own the Cotech GX Air 1st edition. I've seen the 2nd edition on sale recently & if I had the money, I'd definitely without hesitation buy the sale jacket. Great bang for the buck. It flows air decently. The 2 part liners work well. Only complaint... like other guy said rain liner is nylon & doesn't breathe well. Do not wear only that liner under your jacket with a short sleeved shirt. You will be a huge clam if you do.

I cannot offer any information about the tall sizes.

I wrecked the GX Air on my FZ1 at 25mph. The leather held up well but the fabric seperated from the leather. Luckily the skid was short or I would have gotten rash.

I had the jacket from 25F up to 110F and it did very well over all but after that last crash the protective quality of the fabric with the leather made me rethink buying another one. I have now gone to Olympia AST. It doesnt breath as well as mesh but I dont see two different materials seperating during a crash either.

I have no personal experience with one of these. But I have always lusted after them. For one thing, they are one of the few decent jackets available in my preferred jacket color of bright yellow!! (yeah, I know... how ghey!)

But several years ago when I was researching what mesh jackets to buy, I found the GX Air (1 series, I assume) listed on New Enough on clearance. Their comments regarding construction quality were quite derogatory. They said that they would not recommend the jacket to anyone as the workmanship was shoddy and they didn't trust it to stay together in event of a crash.

Slappy, I wonder if yours was a 1 series and maybe the 2nd gens are better? They (New Enough) no longer seems to dis them, so maybe that is what the dealio is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had mine for about a year and a half, and I'm very happy with it. I ride to work every day, year round, and it is my only jacket. I have a heated vest for the colder days. The construction seems solid. Fortunately I've never tested the crash reliablility. I'd buy another one.

Mike

I just bought this exact jacket for warm weather riding. Took it out yesterday for the first time and so far I am satisfied. I did take all the linings out and was comfortable. Ventilation is good...not great. Temp here in Houston yesterday hit about 83. I guess I will really see when the temps hit 98!!!

Overall...I like the jacket. I'm not worried about cold weather performance as I have a different coat for those days. I'd probably buy another if I had too.

I had the original but I am not sure that would make a difference. You seen the leather slides and the fabric grabs. The falure happened at the stitching between the leather and the fabric. Tore the whole back of the shoulder out. Again luckily it was a short slide and didnt cause any real damage to me but had I been going 45 plus I would have had road rash.