Court Strikes Down Illinois Ban on Concealed Carry

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, and if I were going to mount a machinegun to the FJR, I think I'd drop down to a M240G - 7.62mm with night optic & laser sight. Less recoil than the M2 .50 Cal, which would mean less stress and wear on both the fork bushings and rear tire. Another viable option is the M249 SAW - a 5.56mm automatic weapon - higher rate of fire, and more ammo per pound. But you're giving up the range that the M2 offers. Decisions, Decisions...
Now that's good info to know. Now I don't have to trillium-plate that mid bushing, a huge $$$ cost! :)

And I'm typing this while riding my FJR in the rain! Without a helmet! While on bald tires! Can anyone tell me what's the correct tire pressure for my FJR in wet conditions?!
bike.gif
Yes, I can! Send 200 USD immediately for the answer.

Glad to be Canadian and not have to worry about the nut riding beside me carrying a weapon.

Most of your Northern friends think you're all nuts when it comes to guns. We really like you besides that.

I'm 46 and have never had a gun used against me, threatened by one or drawn on, except for one time visiting the US. And that was a cop who was drew his gun because he was scared I would have one.
Ha! You truly believe that just because your laws say you can't own a gun that none of the bad guys do??

What's funny is that I live in the "Wild West" of the united states, and work where people are armed all the time. Like you, I've only ever had one gun pointed at me. The difference is that was the last thing my guy ever did. It is what it is, but I refuse to be a sheep!

A gun in the right hands can prevent a tragedy. I bet that the principal, who died trying to save her kids by lunging at the offender wished that she had more options at that moment to save the kids.

There will always be bad guys.

In Chicago, Illinois, where CC handguns are not allowed outside the home...there are multiple shootings and deaths every week. You can pass a law...but you can't make a criminal voluntarily obey it...because a criminal, by definition, does not obey whatever law you pass. Only the law abiding citizens do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to be Canadian and not have to worry about the nut riding beside me carrying a weapon.

Most of your Northern friends think you're all nuts when it comes to guns. We really like you besides that.

I'm 46 and have never had a gun used against me, threatened by one or drawn on, except for one time visiting the US. And that was a cop who was drew his gun because he was scared I would have one.
Ha! You truly believe that just because your laws say you can't own a gun that none of the bad guys do??

What's funny is that I live in the "Wild West" of the united states, and work where people are armed all the time. Like you, I've only ever had one gun pointed at me. The difference is that was the last thing my guy ever did. It is what it is, but I refuse to be a sheep!
There are sheep. There are sheep dogs. Then there are wolves. It is important to know which one you are. Not everyone has that knowledge. Most of us never have to find out. Good post Zilla.

Now that Illinois MAY do away with concealed carry...

...and the missus and I are taking a trip ON THE FJR alone in July to lonely places in the Canyons..

... it seems like a lot of you guys carry. I don't. But am wondering about wifey's safety...

Would you recommend that I carry? (assuming that I practiced and learned all I can about the legalities and legal implications of self defense with a firearm)

Or would you recommend that I just pray to God that we don't come across the bad people in our FJR travels?
One should consider the answer to this question before one goes to the trouble of deciding what/when/where one should carry for protection: Can I drop the hammer on the bad guy when it comes to it?

If the answer is not "yes", or "I'll know for sure when it happens", then go to the end of questionare and File 13 it.
unsure.png

Just got back from a run to Chicago.

Big lighted sign over I 55 proclaimed "925 traffic deaths this year".

Appling Illinois Gun Logic to this ..................Guess we're all going to be walking next year.

...and the missus and I are taking a trip ON THE FJR alone in July to lonely places in the Canyons..

... it seems like a lot of you guys carry. I don't. But am wondering about wifey's safety...

Would you recommend that I carry? (assuming that I practiced and learned all I can about the legalities and legal implications of self defense with a firearm)

Or would you recommend that I just pray to God that we don't come across the bad people in our FJR travels?
One should consider the answer to this question before one goes to the trouble of deciding what/when/where one should carry for protection: Can I drop the hammer on the bad guy when it comes to it?

If the answer is not "yes", or "I'll know for sure when it happens", then go to the end of questionare and File 13 it.
unsure.png
If my wife is threatened, or if, by extension, she is threatened because I am threatened...no question I can drop that hammer. Now.

unsure.png
If my wife is threatened, or if, by extension, she is threatened because I am threatened...no question I can drop that hammer. Now.
In that case, praying WON'T hurt and practicing WILL help. I say go for it. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it. Doesn't work the other way around.

But please make sure (and I know you are smart enough to already know this) the gun is secured from kids and the friends that might talk them into a look-see.

I'm pleased by this thoughtful discussion of the IL court decision, especially as it relates to those of us who ride our motorcycles across state lines. Whether/what/when we 'carry' is a decision that can turn a routine traffic stop into an expensive vacation in a small room with bars on the windows.

Preparedness is something that most of us began learning about and practicing in the Boy Scouts and/or our time in the military.

I trust that it is the majority of us who 'carry' first aid kits and the skills to use them on ourselves, our fellow riders, and our fellow citizens.

"Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back."

Or is that "FJR Corpsmen"?

I really hate to see it happen but everything may change due to recent events. Blame the guns but let Hollywood and T.V. get a free pass with all their violence.

I must point out that I and other admins haven't gotten one single PM from this thread because of sand in somebody's orifice. Whether it's the cheesy FJR non sequiturs, people are abiding by common sense, or using The Force...I just wanted to compliment you for keeping this thread non-divisive.

Thank you and carry on.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what this boils down to. If you can not confidently, without hesitation, answer yes, then you have no business standing in front of the counter. If the answer is yes, then you should feel an obligation to ensure you are proficient in the skill required to employ that weapon effectively and efficiently. "Train like you fight, fight like you train".

With the time the USMC (and ultimately, the USA) invested in the training to ensure I had a firm grasp on marksmanship fundamentals and all the time I spent honing those skills over the years, I feel it an obligation to keep those skills sharp, and ready to act to defend my fellow citizens should I ever be placed in a situation to do so.

This includes while traveling on my FJR.

Can I drop the hammer on the bad guy when it comes to it?

That is what this boils down to. If you can not confidently, without hesitation, answer yes, then you have no business standing in front of the counter. If the answer is yes, then you should feel an obligation to ensure you are proficient in the skill required to employ that weapon effectively and efficiently. "Train like you fight, fight like you train".

With the time the USMC (and ultimately, the USA) invested in the training to ensure I had a firm grasp on marksmanship fundamentals and all the time I spent honing those skills over the years, I feel it an obligation to keep those skills sharp, and ready to act to defend my fellow citizens should I ever be placed in a situation to do so.

This includes while traveling on my FJR.

Can I drop the hammer on the bad guy when it comes to it?
AMEN!
smile.png
Especially when shooting while riding the FJR. I seem to recall some practice a few years ago that several forum members did partake in at Gerloch...even an admin or two or...

I got my CCL when they first became available in Texas some years back. The instructor was going over the manual and explaining when it was and was not lawful to use lethal force. A female professor from one of the local colleges asked the question, "You mean if some lowlife is stealing my car I can't blow him away"?

I moved my chair a little further from her.

As much as we bicker, bitch, and moan....and in light of recent events and the current national uproar...

This thread makes me proud to be a member here.

Thanks for having me guys ;)

I must point out that I and other admins haven't gotten one single PM from this thread because of sand in somebody's orifice. Whether it's the cheesy FJR non sequiturs, people are abiding by common sense, or using The Force...I just wanted to compliment you for keeping this thread non-divisive.

Thank you and carry on.
punk.gif
Damn, I had to look up "non sequitur". I thought it was a new farkle.