Crash report - warning: graphic language may be used

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First...the good news is that you are relatively okay.
Go have your shoulder examined by a healthcare professional. It will be worth it to have him/her tell you there's nothing wrong.
Thanks for all the advice to have myself checked out. I went to the doctor and got 3 xrays. All showed no injury or damage. Just some bruises. Man, the third day is the worst. Should start to get better. I'll see an orthopedist if it does not.

Texan,
Glad to hear your ok. Also double glad you had on some proper gear.

Man... I hate to say it but I think you gots a lot more damage than just $700..

Depending on your insurance, I have seen bikes get TOTALLED with less damage...

You'd be surprized what them OEM plastics go for and the stock exhaust msrp's...

Got these DISCOUNTED prices off of BIKEBANDIT.COM for you,

https://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycl...4-2008/o/m17219

Note the insurance company will have to go with MSRP part prices,

and what the F'n stealership charges to install them!!!

(what looks to be damaged)

Left lower cowling $104

Left mid cowling $424

Left signal assembly $53

Left upper cowling $304

Left mirror $131

Front fender $148

Left exhaust $745 (obviously it will be time for some after market pipes).

Not to mention possible fork damage, fork seals, brackets behind the plastics.. or anything else...

Remember, a lot of insurance companies will include damages for your jacket, riding pants, gloves, boots and helmet too.

Depending on your deductible of course, this could be a total loss.

Webby
I did a summary yesterday. Yes, it will probably get to be near $1000. I'll do all the work myself. I found a good-as-new exhaust from someone who did a Muzzy for only $60. The plastic can be had disounted from some places. Cheapcycleparts.com is the best price I've found so far. And they will negotiate if you call them. I have a $500 deductible and am probably not going to claim this one. I have too many bikes and I'm concerned that the premium increase will not be worth the claim. I need to save the insurance for a real loss. Maybe you guys can change my mind on this one.

Remarkably, the forks, wheels, brackets etc were not damaged (I've already got it apart).

These ZXer puppies are a handful and will eject you in a weewee momento... most of the time it's a highside. Reasons? Well, cold tyres in cold weather, rainy slick conditions, painted road surfaces, train tracks.... and yes, cattleguards.
Yeah, I'm trying to picture what happened from the description and it sounds like a highside after the rear tire kicked out a bit and then snagged traction on the other side of the cattleguard. Thinking about how to prevent it, the only thing that jumps to mind is to stay off the power as you cross one. On something like the FJR, keeping the power steady is probably fine. Any other thoughts on that?
I must've either been leaning a bit or on the throttle just a bit too much. I did not see the cattle guard (which is stupid because the fenceline next to them is always a dead giveaway). The steel pipes on the cattle guard were covered with green ivy. I think when I hit it, I lost traction and then on the other side the tire bit when it hit pavement. Either way, I was going too fast for the conditions. 30mph and I would probably have been fine.

I'm sure you already know but I'll say it anyway....sliders would have saved a lot of plastic. From the pic, it looks like it may have saved almost all that front damage.....Glad the bike slid and didn't catch and cartwheel.
I thought you were supposed to add the sliders after you wrecked. It makes it easier to install them when all the plastic is off. Yes, I will order some. And I will be more careful.

Hey Texan,

Just saw this...glad you made it through ok and sustained no major injuries. Just another reminder of how the proper gear can save your life and limbs.

Now get better so we can go ride!

Regards,

Davy

I often wear Kevlar jeans and kneepads instead of my Cordura pants, and I was wondering how the stuff held up.
Another gimmick companies use are the pure Kevlar woven patches put on the inside of jeans. They put these patches on the knees and butt area. Pure Kevlar has a similar abrasion rating as cotton. These companies could put Cordura in patches that would perform better than pure Kevlar. These other companies use the word Kevlar to sell the jeans. This is misleading the customer. Kevlar needs to be woven together with other materials like Dynatec or Lycra to have proper abrasion strength. If you're lucky enough to land on the patches of Kevlar the pant will provide more abrasion/tear strength than just denim. If any sliding on asphalt or landing off the Kevlar patch the denim will disintegrate instantly and the Kevlar will abrade quickly offering very little protection.
The whole article

Mr. Boyer said that he's gotten over a dozen of his suits back from diferent police departments that were in get-offs, and not one officer sustained any serious injuries requiring time off, including one who went down at 75 mph after hitting some spilled diesel on the freeway.

Man, I cringe when I see local officers and CHP riding around in those flimsy-looking pants and short sleeves. Once you've experienced a serious patch of road rash, you'll probably not want to ever get another. I know from back (30+ years ago) when my only transportation was a bicycle and can still remember not being able to sleep because of the pain....

EDIT TO ADD: After wanting one for years, I finally ordered my Cycleport mesh kevlar suit this morning! :thumbsupsmileyanim:
:clapping: Wear it well, and may you never find out just how well it protects personally....

EDIT: Just found this great old thread regarding Cycleport gear, including MadMike's impressions before crashing in his....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto the Cycleport, since the thread has gone off in that direction. Totaled the FJR in Montana last year, bruised the body but no skin lost. And that was on broken granite. Sharp broken granite.

Ditto the well wishes on coming through this nasty sounding crash.

What the hell is this "cattle guard" thing of which you speak? Does it protect cattle somehow, or protect you from cattle, or what? :lol:

A cattle Grate......Stops cattle from moving from one property via the road way to another.....(If you are serious about the question of course)

Ditto the Cycleport, since the thread has gone off in that direction. Totaled the FJR in Montana last year, bruised the body but no skin lost. And that was on broken granite. Sharp broken granite.
You guys have just about convinced me on the Cycleport gear. I now realize that the $1200 spent on good jacket, pants and armour is a pittance compared to loss of skin etc.

For all those cattle guards you have in place can and do play havick when crossed incorrectly at times. Tell them all they have to do is paint the road so it looks like a cattle guard

Works well he in California and. It is the perception that keeps the cattle from crossing.

Glad you were not injuried more than what you were.

You guys have just about convinced me on the Cycleport gear. I now realize that the $1200 spent on good jacket, pants and armour is a pittance compared to loss of skin etc.
Just do it. I did. Had to 'finance' the gear. Worth the cost? YES. 'nuff said.

I'm sure you already know but I'll say it anyway....sliders would have saved a lot of plastic. From the pic, it looks like it may have saved almost all that front damage.....Glad the bike slid and didn't catch and cartwheel.
I thought you were supposed to add the sliders after you wrecked. It makes it easier to install them when all the plastic is off. Yes, I will order some. And I will be more careful.
thats usually when the majority of them get installed...

You guys have just about convinced me on the Cycleport gear.
That's what we're here for. Call and ask for Wayne to discuss your best setup.

I now realize that the $1200 spent on good jacket, pants and armour is a pittance compared to loss of skin etc.
Smart man! Don't forget the gloves!

thats usually when the majority of them get installed...
word.gif

IMG_1315.jpg

I'm wondering if a slipper-clutch would have helped in this situation? These super-sport bikes have so much power these days that you have to be really careful when coming off the throttle.

In fact, I thought the ZX14 came with a slipper as standard equipment (the Concours has one), but I was mistaken.

I'm wondering if a slipper-clutch would have helped in this situation? These super-sport bikes have so much power these days that you have to be really careful when coming off the throttle.In fact, I thought the ZX14 came with a slipper as standard equipment (the Concours has one), but I was mistaken.
I had to google slipper clutch - never heard of one before. I was not decelerating so I don't think a slipper would've helped.

I've been riding the ZX14 again and the torque is incredible. I'm being much more careful and frankly, am staying away from cattle guards for a while.

I've been riding the ZX14 again and the torque is incredible. I'm being much more careful and frankly, am staying away from cattle guards for a while.
good to hear you're back on the steed. Its just like the old saying about getting back on a horse after it's thrown you.

Toe, IMHO, Cycleport stuff is NOT the answer for riding a ZX-14/ 'Busa- type of motorcycle.
Fully CE-armored leathers (or equivalent) are! I know weather is also a key factor when choosing what to wear, but with these bikes, you really don't have much choice. Using base-layering with full and/or vented leathers solves a lot of the heat problems.

Another thing. If someone can grab a handfull of jacket at chest level, you're wearing the wrong size. Your jacket should fit snug and not balloon out when riding. The reason should be obvious. I can't stress this enough.
I have a Cycleport kevlar mesh jacket and police mesh kevlar pant. I had just the FJR when I bought the suit and since bought an R6. I will say that being bunched up on the R6, the Cycleport stuff is uncomfortable. The combination of the large buckle, the ends of the zipper and the waist band of both jacket and pants is just too much up front. The pants have too much material behind the knee and can pinch. That being said, in the summer, I still wear my kevlar suit. The R6...well I....is/am only good for about 150 or so miles so I just suck it up. I have a suit for the track and that is more comfortable.I f I had extra $$$ I would get the gp pants as I understand that they are much more comfortable on a sportbike. I feel safe in mine.

how in the hell at 50 MPH did your bike not just cruise over the grades ????

Glad you OK

Jdog

^^^^ Loss of traction, wheelspin, grabbed when it got across the guard. He apparently didn't come off the throttle to cross the slippy part.