Crashed FJR & "God really loves me"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InsaneK9

Reaction score
I was riding home from work last week, traveling through one of the canyon roads that connect my home and work. I had just gotten back to work the previous week from a five month disability leave for neck & back problems. Getting back to work and picking up where I left off was important to me. Riding my FJR after the five month time was good. I didn't feel that I was "rusty" from the lack of riding. I was wrong.

The canyon roads are often filled with many challenges. The sharp curves, gravel on the road, drivers that are filled with road rage, etc. Normally I ride through being "hyper alert", seeking out danger and avoiding it. On this day I noticed the road had the usual gravel obsticals on the roadway. I make a point of avoiding as much as I could. The curve ahead, I spot gravel and set my line around the outside. What I didn't realize is that I must have been traveling faster than I should. My turn was fairly tight but not scrapping the pegs. I broke one of the commandments of riding... my focus shifted to where I was headed - Off the road. In a brief moment I realized that I was going off the road. The decreasing radius turn, gravel, and my "rusty" riding skills led me to a place I have never been. Sliding off the roadway I hit several trees. I don't remeber being able to see much but I do recall hearing the sound of my FJR being torn apart. Very quickly it was over. I lay prone beside a pine tree. opening my eyes I could see branches filled with pine cones. My body hurt all over. My left leg and arm were in pain. I could barely move, so I lay there hoping someone would come to my aid. Time passed and eventually a motorist drove by and yelled that his cell phone didn't work in the canyon but he would get help. As I lay there I couldn't imagine what I just did. I felt like such an idiot. How the hell could I have done that? My FJR! I know it was damaged, but no idea of the extent. I hear vehicals approaching. Forest service personel, they tell me not to move. Lots of questions: Do you know where you are? Can you move your toes? Did you lose conscieneness? The CHP arrive. More questions... Have you been drinking? How fast were you going? I told the CHP officer that I wasn't drunk, just stupid. Over the next several hours, from the ambulance ride to ER, CT scans, xrays, etc. As I lay on the gurnny I see my son come into view. He holds my hand and asks if I'm ok. I'm lucky, I'm alive and know that things could have turned out much worse. The doctor finally comes back and informs me that nothing is broken. I have contusions (bruises) in many areas, but NOTHING BROKEN. I tell the doctor that since nothing is broken, I'll be dancing out of here! Over the next several hours I push myself to get off the bed so I can see how my leg feels. It was difficult to stand but I did. I think the doctors eyes were going to explode out of his head when he walked by seeing me standing up. After convincing the doctor that I was Ok, he discharged me and my wife drove me home.

The next day, while the pain was bad. All I was thinking about was my FJR... how is she? My wife drove me to the tow yard so that I could get my MC and get it into the repair shop. The owner of the tow asks me if I was the rider. He looked a bit shocked... and said to me "God loves you very much". I ask to see my bike and he points to where it is resting. I approach... the windscreen is gone, the mirrors are missing, the sides are scrapped to hell, the front end is smashed in, forks bent, front wheel forced back into the radiator, tweaked. I feel sick looking at it. My wife tells me I'm lucky. I tell her I know.

The FJR hit the trees and threw me over. A few bruises, that are healing... a FJR that could be repaired for $7000. I'm lucky to be alive. So what next? I don't think I will get the FJR fixed. I'm not sure what to do with the bike now. My wife thinks I should get a new red FJR. She says "it's only money". I guess she's right, it's only money and I'm pretty damn lucky. Would God still love me if I got the red one?

K9

A few bruises, that are healing... a FJR that could be repaired for $7000. I'm lucky to be alive. So what next? I don't think I will get the FJR fixed.
Sounds all bad, alright. Glad you made it out with contusions only....

Your FJR should've been totaled from your description.... I would insist upon them "finding" more damage to total it. You don't want to repair this machine.

Would God still love me if I got the red one?
Sure He would, He loves red motorcycles (and every other color, too).

Amazing nothing is broken (on you). Glad you're ok. The pain will subside, the ride will continue, life goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! Thats just bad news there! Glad to hear you made it without any serious damage!

Follow your wife's advice and when you heal up, find yourself a new FJR.

My wife thinks I should get a new red FJR. She says "it's only money". I guess she's right, it's only money and I'm pretty damn lucky.
Other than being alive and well, which is good. The above is why you really are lucky. Your wife is a keeper.

Best Wishes,

John

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Thanks for sharing the story though - hopefully I'll think about it the next time I take a few months off of riding and then get back on.

Sorry to hear about your crash. You are very fortunate and your wife is definitely a keeper.

Get the new FJR!

Sorry about your accident and glad that you escaped without serious injury. And a thumbs up to your wife- she's a keeper. Mine is great, but all I'd be hearing is "NOW ARE YOU GOING TO SELL THOSE DAMN MOTORCYCLES?"

VERY glad to hear you're OK, K9.

Other than having to see your bike looking the way it does (and some uncomfortable bruises), it's all good! You're not likely to EVER have that happen again. Someone reading or hearing your story (here, or in the future) is likely to be a little more careful when getting back on their bike after some time off, and you (hopefully) get a new bike....... and soon.

By the way, I talked to God recently and while he's not a huge fan of red FJR's, he definitely loves everyone who rides one. For what it's worth, he seemed to be pretty excited about the '08 colors!

Well, dump the bike, keep the wife, get a new bike, and yep everyone will still love you that did before, and who knows, the dealership might too ;)

Tree's hurt, I know this from experience. The bike is totaled, the frame is tweaked :ph34r: This is the perfect opertunity to upgrade to an '07, I did after my incedent with a tree and I'm loving it B) Glad to hear you walked away!

awhile back i hit a deer with my 03 fjr and had lots of broken parts, foot,arm, sholder, ect. took about a year to heel up. thought long and hard about getting another bike. bought a new 07 fjr at tech west this year and glad i did. so will you.

Holy shit stains batman! Gad you are o.k. didn't notice any mention of gear? What type of gear were you wearing? How did it hold up?

From your description I cannot fathom that they wouldn't declare it totalled. Subframes, exhaust cans, plastic, saddle bags.... that crap adds up quick. And that's without labor.

If they don't total it, bring it to me!!! After my 2 getoffs, I am getting good at rebuilding FJR's!!! ;)

Oh and, welcome to the crash club.

Since yer alive and walking.........as keith so humbly put it.........welcome to the CC club. Now you have permission to get ahold of snowmonkey and order the "specially" made Crash club shirt.

ODOT

V.P. Crash Club

Glad to hear you're alive and well Bro! Well, except for a couple dings and a shredded FJR.

After my wife told me I couldn't trade my Vulcan for an FJR God told me I should - so I did.

Go with the Wild Cherry 07 - I love mine.

Be Well!